We love anything involving the outdoors! Camping, scouting, canoeing, fishing, hiking, campfires, snowmobiling - it's all awesome. Like other outdoor enthusiasts, we've found that well designed, high performance gear can really enhance the whole experience.
For many outdoor adventures, a high-quality, packable saw is an essential tool. Unfortunately, we found that any of the pack saws that we tried over the years had one or more shortcomings or deficiencies:
- too complicated to setup/takedown
- poor sawing performance due to bad blade tensioning, wrong blades and an uncomfortable grip
- loose parts
- too small or too long or too heavy
- poor clearance & cutting capacity
- difficult blade replacements
- inappropriate materials selected for rugged outdoor environments
Definitely some serious and difficult problems to overcome. But we did it! The BOREAL21 folding camp saw.
The BOREAL21 is a revolutionary 21" bow saw that effortlessly unfolds in seconds for easy, high performance cuts. At 21 inches, the blade’s length is optimally sized for powerful sawing strokes, and yet short enough for packability. And the 3-hinged trapezium-shaped frame allows large diameter cuts. Each saw frame comes in a Matte Black or Clear anodized finish with a choice of either a Forest Green or Goldfinch Yellow handle. The blade safely folds into the frame when not in use, protecting you and your other gear. You also have the option of adding a high quality hand-made leather or duck canvas sheath.
The BOREAL21 has been designed specifically for the needs of the outdoor adventurer. However, our compact and lightweight design has not compromised its function, making it extremely useful for many common applications.
- opens in one smooth motion- because it’s one connected assembly- so there's no fumbling with loose parts.
- blade tensioning is automatic, reproducible and set to provide optimal sawing performance every time.
- no need to touch the saw blade during opening and closing of the Boreal21
- high clearance geometry - cut up to 6" logs straight through
- the grip handle angle is designed to optimize balance vs power
- simple and fast blade replacement with no special tools
- the grip is ergonomically designed for maximum comfort.
- high quality leather or duck canvas carrying/storage sheaths
- high strength extruded and anodized aluminum frame (no twisting) with stainless steel hardware.
- super light weight - 1pound/450grams/16ounces
- handle material - durable and weather resistant nylon
We need your help to get the BOREAL21 Folding Bow Saw into production. By supporting us on Kickstarter you will be helping us pay for tooling and the first minimum production run. You will also be the first to receive this revolutionary new saw - at a special Kickstarter discounted price!
Special thanks to Carl Cosack (aka "Crusty") of Rawhide Adventures and to Candice Bist & Bruce Ley of Hollyhock Farm in Mulmur, Ontario for their hospitality and charming shooting locations.
Risks and challenges
Over the past couple years we have designed, sourced, tested and revised each component to our satisfaction while developing great relationships with reliable manufacturers.
That being said, there are almost always some hiccups in the first production run of a new product. We will keep you informed and involved in the whole process and send cool updates as we receive new parts and test the BOREAL21 in all sorts of different scenarios.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (36 days)