For the past 4 years I have been working to bring the Pennsylvania Patch Coalition to life. Our goal is to design and embroider a patch for each park in PA (121 in total!) Pennsylvania continues the great tradition of free admission and parking to all of its parks – and we'd like to keep it that way. Access to public park land is essential to community recreation, and we believe with increased awareness and state-wide stewardship our parks will be free and unchanged for the next generation.
These patches accomplish 3 things:
1. Raise money for our parks. Once we are funded, we will launch an online shop where our patches will be for sale. A portion of the proceeds from that shop will go directly to the PPFF (Pennsylvania Parks & Forest Foundation.)
2. Grow a community. With your backing of at least $10, you will receive a 6-month membership to the PPFF. In addition, our online shop will be a place where PA residents and out-of-stater's alike can learn about PA parks with links to great resources.
3. Fight on! We want to put a stop to any legislation that attempts to commercialize our parks or charge admission fees. A patch symbolizes your advocacy for free parks. Our job is not finished when the Kickstarter is funded!
Our goal is to start with 10 patches. We've selected the first 5 designs and you'll have a vote on the remaining 5.
If we exceed our funding goal, then we can embroider even more designs. With every additional $2500 we raise, we are able to release an additional 5 parks. A total Kickstarter of $61,000 funds all 121 state park patches!
About Our Patches
• Each patch was designed by me (Caleb) to capture the unique personality of every park. So far we have 45 parks designed.
• Each patch is 100% embroidered, which means you will be receiving the highest quality stitch count available.
• The dimensions for each patch vary, but are around 3.5" - which makes these patches amazing for display on backpacks and jackets.
• All patches are iron-on. If you wish to sew your patch instead, we can offer thread colors to match. (I usually do both!)
In addition to patches, we are offering a set of 8 unique stickers. These 3" stickers are made of thick vinyl with a UV laminate that protects them from scratching, rain and sunlight.
And it doesn't stop there! We are also offering a set of four postcards to backers who give at least $40. With two unique designs, these 4.13" x 5.82", postcards are perfect for sharing Pennsylvania's awesome parks with friends in PA or across the country.
Marci Mowry, the President of the PPFF, has been a vital partner for the project in helping us with outreach and focusing our message.
Dan Angelucci of Vireo Films took the helm of our video's script, editing, and videography. Without his countless hours of work we could have not achieved a video of this caliber.
Russell Edling wrote the beautiful music track for the video. He absolutely captured the feeling of the project.
Tracy Blaine lent us his amazing time-lapse footage of Cherry Springs. He is also on the Board of Directors for the Cherry Springs Dark Sky Fund.
Gus Melendez, Josh Schott, and Paul Ballard were essential in capturing the photography and videography for the project. They lugged equipment up and down trails for hours and I can't thank you enough.
Also, thank you to Allison Duda and Tom Wildonder for their photographs of Presque Isle and Lehigh Gorge, respectively.
Risks and challenges
We already have our vendors selected and tested. Embroidering patches is relatively straight forward!
To mitigate any risks to supply, backers will not be able to select multiple patches of one design. For example, if you back at the $25 level and receive two patches, you can not select Cherry Springs as both of your patches.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)