About this project
The Faultlines is an ancient name given to those places where the veil between This world and the Other is thinnest. It is the place where faeries dwell, creatures creep and magic oozes through the cracks. Recently the Faultlines have been stirring, opening up to all who wish to see and to all who dare to venture...
Hello and welcome, my name is Iris and like many I have always had the distinct feeling of being watched whilst walking in the woods. This might be because of my super active imagination or maybe, just maybe there really IS something there, watching. Ever since my early years I have loved anything and everything that concerned the Other World, the realm of myths and legends, of folklore and fairytale. I searched for proof of the Other World wherever I went. I finally found it when I discovered the existence of the Faultlines.
I have been granted access to observe and document the creatures I encountered and I now look upon you to help me publish this book filled with encounters and snippets of stories. I hope this book will give you an insight in the Other World and take you on a journey through the Faultlines!
Welcome to the Faultlines
Faeries of the Faultlines is an art book filled with sketches and full color pieces accompanied by short stories which take you on an adventure into the Faultlines. It will introduce you to the Other World and take you on a journey through your own imagination.
I'm very pleased to announce that none other than Brian Froud is writing an intro for this book. For over 35 years, Brian Froud has been regarded as the pre-eminent faerie artist in the world and an authority on faeries and faerie lore. His international best-selling book, FAERIES with fantasy and Tolkien illustrator Alan Lee is considered a modern classic. (source: World of Froud) My love for the fae started when I picked up FAERIES for the first time, it's an honor to have him write the intro.
For this book I'm working with a local printer, they are highly accomplished in the printing of art books and I will be able to share most of the process of printing with you, you will get to see HOW this book is made!
Some specs of the book:
- Green linen bound hardcover
- Gold foil on the cover, spine and back
- Measures 170 x 228mm (approximately 6.7"x9.5")
- Printed endleaves
- Printed on Biotop 160g
- 128 full color pages
and it will look something like this...
I enjoy working on projects ranging from picture books to gallery art, like to sculpt my own frames or creatures and enjoy creating elaborate headdresses and costumes. Creating a ‘sense of wonder’ is at the core of my work, storytelling is an essential part.
As an artist I strive to lure in the spectator, to make them feel a connection to the work and open a gateway to their imagination to ignite it even further. The Faeries of the Faultlines is a good example of this, I really want to create that doorway into a world and have your imagination take over. Anything is possible, nothing is too weird. A world is there to imagine, ready, waiting for you! I love working traditionally, from oils to watercolor or clay to bring my creatures to life.
I explore the depths of darkness to find the light.
Check this video for a flip-through of the sketchbook that's part of the Faery bundle tier.
Here's what the wallpapers will look like, the cards and the miniprints.
Have I got something in store for you guys!!! I've got some pretty awesome stretch goals lined up. I will be revealing more of them as we hit the first.
- The first stretch goals have been unlocked at record speed. So you'll get another desktop wallpaper image. I'll put it to a vote on which image that's going to be.
- All books will get a beautiful green ribbon so you can never lose your way in the Faultlines.
- All postcard sets will get another image, so that's 5 card instead of 4! Again, I'll put it to a vote later this week!
- All backers on the € 30 and up will get a Friend of the Faeries sticker added to their order!
- And as an extra awesome stretch goal.... if we hit € 35,000 16 more pages of art will be added to ALL the books! That's 16 more pages of FAERIES.
- We've reached € 50,000 so I'll be adding EVEN MORE art! An 8 page fold out spread will be added in the middle of the book so that's some serious BIG art!
- We've hit the magic number of 1000 backers. So I'm going to do a special video tutorial for you all to download (bear with me, this'll have to be produced and I want you guys to have the best quality!) on how I paint my faeries. You can leave questions I might cover in this tutorial in the update (it's called 1000K).
- We've reached € 65,000 and I will add another A5 miniprint to the set, all those tiers with miniprints will receive it. I'm going to put it to a vote as to which print you want to see.
- We reached € 85,000, ANOTHER 16 pages to your book turning it into a book that has 168 pages of art!
Goals to unlock
- At € 100,000 I will be adding one hard enamel pin to each pledge of € 30 and more! You can proudly show your love for the Faeries by wearing this pin. Size approximately 3x3cm.
- Should we go as high as € 120,000 all books will get an extra luxurious dust jacket added. This will have a 3d embossed logo and gold leaf and is made of extra thick paper so as not to tear easily. It'll make the book look even more magical.
And don't forget, each backer of this campaign is eligible to win an original faerie watercolor! More on this soon!
I wanted to give you an idea of how I came by my funding goal. As you might know the funding goal consists of all the costs for the production of the book, the production costs of the rewards and various fees, such as PayPal/Creditcard fees or Kickstarter fees but a huge chunk is meant for shipping! To illustrate this I've made a little pie chart to show you how my funding goal is constructed.
Risks and challenges
I will try to minimize any risks associated with creating a book such as this by setting a realistic schedule for completing the artwork, finishing the stories, crucial editing, finalizing the designs of the book and all other products as well as manufacturing and packaging.
A buffer has been built into the schedule to account for any unforeseen circumstances. Should there be any changes or delays these will be communicated in a timely manner.
I have worked as a graphic designer for 16 years, designing books and corporate identities for countless clients. I am confident that my knowledge in this area will come in handy as I know everything there is to know about the printing process and keep close tabs on the production of every single thing associated with the Faeries of the Faultlines.
I have chosen to work with a local printer instead of outsourcing the printing to a printer overseas. This means I can go and stand by the presses whilst they print the book, to make sure the quality you get is the highest possible! This also means I will be showing you HOW a book is made, I will take you along for the ride, show you the printing process and keep you updated on all the steps whilst the book is in production. So you'll get an exclusive look into the whole creation you've made possible.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter