Yosemite People Progress!
Hello Yosemite People friends and supporters!
My pal Sean has inquired if we're still on track for March? Great question.
I was hoping to have books in hand in March but I'm not quite there. I'm taking the advice of friends like Cameron who said, "...whatever you do, don't rush it". After all this work and effort I'm insisting on quality and the good news is we're going in this direction.
Some highlights on where we're at now:
After four sets of proofs (with shipping can take up to 10 days each for delivery) with the help of master production artist Raimis Austinskas we're seeing scanned negatives converted into some beautiful duotones (with spot varnish) at a crisp 190 lines per inch.
I'm in great company and fortunate to have this book printed by KOPA: http://www.kopa.eu/production/art-books
KOPA is a printer based in Kaunas, Lithuania with a terrific reputation as an award-winning printer of quality photographic books and magazines for a great roster of clients.
- My hope is to finish design details, finish acknowledgements and captions this week and send galleys to our editor for a final round of edits.
- Send files to printer and review proofs.
- Go on press at end of March.
- 3 weeks for bindery
- 4 weeks for shipping from Lithuania
- Anticipated delivery: Late May/Early June 2017
- In discussions with Big Trees Lodge (formerly Wawona Hotel),Yosemite National Park, for a show/book signing summer 2017-date to be announced
- In discussions with REI Fesno for a slideshow presentation/book signing summer 2017-date to be announced
- St. Casimir Parish (Los Angeles) slideshow presentation/book signing date to be announced
- Sierra Madre, CA slideshow presentation/book signing date and venue to be determined.
- I'm sad to share that one our kind contributors, Kevin Starr passed away in January. His obituary in the LA Times can be found here:
Dr. Starr generously contributed 2,000 words to this small but mighty project. His Yosemite Memories harken back to a time when he worked his way through college at Yosemite National Park starting in the summer of 1959.
- Im still on track to produce promised limited edition prints for March (though would prefer to deliver along with the book)
- I will continue to keep you all posted on the progress: please feel free to reach out with any questions and/or concerns. Later I'll be polling folks to make sure I have exact addresses/delivery information.
1,000 Thanks to everyone for your patience. I've never produced a fine art coffee table book before and making sure to take every necessary step to make it beautiful.