About this project
- UPDATE: You can watch us LIVE on http://www.twitch.tv/22cans We will be broadcasting on Friday 21st December the last day of our Kickstarter. You can see an archive from Wednesday's broadcast here.
- UPDATE 23: 19/12/12 Audio and music
- UPDATE 22: 19/12/12 Stretching our goals a little further.
- UPDATE 21: 18/12/12 Multiplayer Prototype video, annotated volcano god power and more details about the add-ons.
- UPDATE 20: 18/12/12 Production Update.
- UPDATE 19: 17/12/12 Prototype video, DRM information, Exclusive homeworld totems and your face on Curiosity for all backers .
- UPDATE 18: 16/12/12 Art Update, Discover the art behind Godus with, 22cans Art Director, Paul McLaughlin
- UPDATE 17: 14/12/12: Technology Update, new pitch video (the original pitch video is posted below)
Original pitch video:
- UPDATE 15: 13/12/12: An endorsement, a video, meet Paul and a wallpaper.
- UPDATE 13: 11/12/12: Avatars for everyone, a new milestone and meet Tim and Gary.
- UPDATE 12: 10/12/12: New platform announcement, new tier and god power
- UPDATE 11: 09/12/12: Team Video, add-ons and coverage report
- UPDATE 9: 06/12/12: Prototype Update, Curiosity and meet the team.
- UPDATE 8: 05/12/12: Prototype video, meet the team and new tiers.
- UPDATE 7: 04/12/12: Meet the team, updated game information and add-ons
- UPDATE 6: 02/12/12: Designing GODUS with Peter & Jack #6 Weekend fire side chat about GODUS
- UPDATE 5: 30/11/12: Designing GODUS with Peter & Jack #5 In-game pet or familiar and a summary, explaining the tornado, a document about the design summary so far and press coverage
- UPDATE 4: 29/11/12: Designing GODUS with Peter & Jack #4 Followers, Prototype information plus a Currency Conversion Chart for our European and American friends
- UPDATE 3: 28/11/12: Designing GODUS with Peter & Jack #3 God Powers, New tiers update
- UPDATE 2: 27/11/12: Designing GODUS with Peter & Jack #2 Singleplayer and Multiplayer video, new artwork
- UPDATE 1: 26/11/12: Designing GODUS with Peter & Jack #1 Inspirations video, First teeshirt design, Titanium jewellery with diamond
GODUS is an innovative reinvention of Populous, the original god game and delivers exciting global co-operation, competition, creation and destruction to a whole new generation..
The dream at 22cans is to make gaming meaningful. We want to engage people in fresh new ways with accessible, delightful games and experiences. We’re calling them experiments. Curiosity – what’s inside the cube was the first of these and we’re taking what we’ve learnt from it and applying it to future projects such as our next step - GODUS.
Populous was created over 22 years ago, and we believe that to date, nothing has come close to emulating its powerfully godlike experience. It’s this experience we aim to reimagine. GODUS blends the power, growth and scope of Populous with the detailed construction and multiplayer excitement of Dungeon Keeper and the intuitive interface and technical innovation of Black & White. The original Populous hailed from the 8-bit era but GODUS will use the most modern technology the world has to offer.
And you can help us make it!
As a god your destiny is to spread your influence throughout the world. But you are only as powerful as your following. Using your ability to sculpt the land, you can create a habitable environment that will allow a population of believers to flourish. In your crafted utopia you can grow as a god in the face of various challenges that affect the population. You can watch hundreds of individual followers live out their lives with dynamic and captivating behavior. If you choose to spread out and conquer more lands however, you will confront other gods with their own civilizations of followers. There is only room for one god, so prepare to guide your worshippers into battle by altering the world around them with your god powers, then watch your followers reign victorious across the world.
Half a living sandbox world, and half a strategy game, players can choose to explore the power of the almighty however they wish. Whether it’s granting the power of life and blossoming the world around your believers, or using godly powers to wreak havoc via natural disasters to defeat the armies of other gods, prepare for the Ultimate God Game: Single Player, Multiplayer, Cross-Platform gameplay, sandbox worlds, strategic battles, living populations, and the power to create, change, and destroy the very structure of the world.
- An essential part of GODUS is single player. We all love to take the time to hone our godly powers before venturing into the exciting multiplayer wars with other gods.
- It’s a living world, unique and detailed. And it’s a world you influence, whether you’re good or evil.
- GODUS is instantly accessible, easy to learn but immensely deep.
- As you flourish and build your own cult, you’ll engage in pitched battles with other gods and their cults. It’s a multiplayer power-struggle the way it should be.
- GODUS draws on the cunning battle-psychology of Dungeon Keeper, the living, changing world of Black & White and the instinctive, satisfying gameplay of Populous.
- Plus you get to be a god. In fact, play well and you get to be the ultimate god!
- GODUS will be developed for the Mac, PC and Mobile devices, we hope to be able to add more platforms as our Kickstarter campaign progresses.
We are a proudly independent company founded in March 2012, and we’re passionate about creating the next generation of innovative digital entertainment. We believe that a great team with great ideas can lead to great success, and, driven by true innovation and creativity, we’re determined to make some truly unique products.
22cans has been set up with our own personal savings and the talented team we’ve assembled has already built and released the bizarrely popular Curiosity – what’s inside the cube. But we need funding to continue, and rather than partner with a publisher, we’re keen to explore the exciting new Kickstarter platform. It means we can stay independent and it gives you the opportunity to have a voice in the development of GODUS.
Our backgrounds include Bullfrog Productions, Lionhead Studios, Electronic Arts, Microsoft and many others. Most of us have been developing computer games for a long time, and we’ve worked on titles such as Populous, Syndicate, Theme Park, Theme Hospital, Magic Carpet, Dungeon Keeper, Black & White, Fable, The Movies, Risen, Moshi Monsters, Sniper Elite V2, and Curiosity – what’s inside the cube of course.
One member of our team is Tim Rance, who in 1989 as Technical Director for Electronic Arts worked on the two-player multiplayer feature for the original Populous as it was released for DOS (those of you unfamiliar, it's the version before Windows). We also have people from Rockstar London, Mind Candy and several other places we really can't mention. Paul McLaughlin has worked with Peter on every Bullfrog game since Populous.
We’re a talented team, highly experienced at playing and creating games and it’s fair to say we’re extremely passionate about them. Plus we love the idea of using Kickstarter to fund GODUS. Why? We’ll tell you…
With GODUS we want to make a game in a culture of openness, co-operation and honesty. Creating a game involves imagination and passion, and we’re keen to share the experience. So we want to make GODUS with you watching and, we hope, participating. Funding it via Kickstarter allows us to stay a small independent team with unlimited freedom in our creativity. It’ll just be you, us and our unbridled dedication (no publishers).
You see, although GODUS is a new idea, we’re keen to return to the spirit which started it all. In 1989, in a small, cramped office in Guildford, England, a hard-working and enthusiastic duo experimented, collaborated, took risks and came up with Populous, a game which would become a legend and which would launch the god game genre.
We’re going to make GODUS in that same spirit. And your support will enable you to be involved at every stage as we share everything we do and learn with you. We’ll produce video diaries, blogs, live streams, developer chats and a great deal more. We aim to end up with a truly delightful game and as you play it, you’ll be able to say that you also played your part in its very creation.
We’ll fund an experienced team of 22 people to make GODUS. That’s not a big team – we’re doing this efficiently. But we’re committed to quality, so we’ll create outstanding gameplay, characters, artwork, animations, sound and music, and the very world itself. With your help we’ll turn our great idea into successful reality.
We need £450,000 to do this. Yes, games typically cost more than that to make, but we’re sticking to a small, highly effective team and we’ll be employing careful management to keep the project on track and get the most out of our funding.
GODUS will take seven to nine months to complete, but if we exceed the amount of funding we’re asking for, we’ll use the extra to enhance the game further and support additional platforms which will add a little more time to the development schedule. Should we find ourselves in that happy situation, as a thank you, we’ll collaborate with you to implement the ideas and features you love the most.
What do you get for pledging? The full details are just over there, on the right. As you’d expect, the greater your support, the more you’ll get in return. But everyone who pledges will be able not only to watch as the game takes shape and get cool stuff, they’ll also be able to influence its design. During GODUS’s development there will be many instances where specific decisions need to be taken and choices made. As a valued supporter we see you as part of the Project, so you’ll be able to suggest, comment and vote to determine many elements of the game. As you’ll discover, designing games is intriguing.
Depending where you are are in the world, you might start thinking about Thanksgiving and even Christmas soon. We’ve got you covered...any gamers you know, people who maybe even played the original Populous or Dungeon Keeper, you can now get them a very special gift.
Here's a visual indication of the exciting items you will receive in return for your generosity:
Our Peter Molyneux can also be found on Twitter @pmolyneux.
Of course we’ll continuously update this page until we've finished and released GODUS, we will also listen to what you have to say and refine our Kickstarter page accordingly.
Thank you so much for helping us make GODUS. If you are unable to back and pledge (but we really hope you can help us make GODUS a reality with however small an amount) then sharing this page with your friends and family would be wonderful too.
With your help we will make GODUS a reality and reinvent the entire god game genre.
- Digital Download Gift Pack. Receive an acorn that you can plant in your home-world, and over time a tree will grow. You will also get to reserve a name for your own clan and you'll get your own world flag for your Homeworld! +£7 (approximately $11)
- Digital Soundtrack +£10 (approximately $16)
- Extra GODUS beta access +£10 (approximately $16)
(Requires the base pledge to be at the £5 tier or above. Any pledge that ends up including a physical reward will require £10 for international shipping, unless it has already been included in the base pledge (e.g £60+). You will only have to pay shipping once.
- 22cans tee-shirt +£16 (approximately $26)
- GODUS tee-shirt +£16 (approximately $26)
- Printed, Exclusive GODUS artwork +£20 (approximately $32)
To add an add-on to your pledge, follow these steps:
Please click on the 'Manage Your Pledge' button on this page. If you have not pledged yet it will say 'Back this Project'.
Increase your pledge in the 'Pledge Amount' by the total of the add-ons you want.
You do not need to change the tier you are currently pledging for. If you want to do so, you will then need to add the total of your add-ons onto the amount of the new tier you have choosen.
We will send all our backers a survey at the end of our Kickstarter campaign that will ask you which add-ons you want.
Risks and challenges
The challenge is to reinvent a genre and make a great game in a short space of time. We’ll only release GODUS once it’s the fantastic game we know it can be. And we want to get it into the hands of players in less than a year from now. GODUS is going to be powerful, unique and rather wonderful, and luckily we’re going to be able to draw on our Kickstarter backers to beta test it with us. Yes, if you back it, you can help us finish GODUS and we’ll have taken another huge step towards the big game which will be the culmination of 22cans’ 22 experiments.
22cans has a lot of game industry veterans so we know the risks – GODUS will be using new technology and that has to be tested and perfected. Balancing and bug-testing the game will also take time. And there are many other factors; for example, Curiosity – what’s inside the cube showed us what happens when everyone wants to engage with your product online at the same time. We learnt a lot from that in a very short space of time.
Finally, trying Kickstarter is itself a risk. Our backers deserve a great game they’ve funded, seen in through its development and helped create. We can make it if we achieve the amount we’re asking for.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)