30 Years On - Chernobyl Exposed
30 Years On - Chernobyl Exposed
The legacy of Chernobyl still remains. A touring art exhibition will raise awareness of issues still surrounding nuclear power today.
The legacy of Chernobyl still remains. A touring art exhibition will raise awareness of issues still surrounding nuclear power today. Read more
The 26:86 collective and our series of exhibitions is for the benefit and enjoyment of everyone.
We shall do this in the first instance by visiting Chernobyl, the site of the worlds worst nuclear disaster to see the devastation and long lasting effects of this event, which took place 30 years ago (our commitment is shown by the participating artists funding this trip themselves).
*By 2030 Britain will have generated approximately ... 3 thousand cubic metres of High Level Waste. In terms of the total amount of radioactivity HLW is the largest category. All of this waste must ultimately be disposed of somewhere, or stored in perpetuity. Ignoring the problem is not an option; the waste now exists and needs proactive management. It will not go away on its own.
Risks and challenges
Health & Safety Issues (Trip):
1. Radiation Exposure in Chernobyl – We have carried out extensive research and sought professional advice; we have sponsorship from Tracero including training and the use of individual radiation monitors and a Geiger-Muller counter. The tour company offers extensive safety guidelines that we will follow, including use of protective clothing. At the borders of the exclusion zone we will be screened to ensure we are within the acceptable/safe levels of radiation contamination.
2. War in the Ukraine – We will not be travelling to or anywhere near areas that are considered unsafe or dangerous due to the current war in East Ukraine.
3. Injuries – the area of Chernobyl & Pripyat is sometimes dangerous, rubble and disintegrating buildings mean that underfoot can be hazardous. We will take safety precautions and avoid treacherous parts. We also have personal insurance.
1. Production of exceptionally high quality and consistent work – members of the collective have recent qualifications in Curating i.e. Educational Programming in Curating, Node Centre for Curatorial Studies, Berlin and experience in many exhibitions. We are also seeking specialist mentoring from high profile curators. The established artists within the group were specially selected and the emerging artists have evidence of high quality previous work. We pride ourselves, as a group, to have a discerning eye and exquisite taste; aesthetics alongside conceptual thinking are of paramount importance to us. We have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
2. Cohesive ‘Branding’ – with showing at a number of exhibitions, in various venues, we acknowledge that it will be a challenge to be consistent in terms of the look and feel of the shows; however, amongst us we have experts in graphics, creative direction, advertising and most of us have past experience, in the design of promotional materials and exhibition installation. Each show will no doubt have its own personality which is something we welcome as it will give repeat visitors a different experience each time, whilst the core of the exhibitions will remain recognisable.
3. Confirming Venues – a difficulty has been finding suitable and available galleries and then obtaining firm guarantees of dates, however we feel that with the onset of media interest and related publicity this will become easier. N.B. We are currently being interviewed by the media. To set your mind at rest, we do have 2 firm commitments from galleries and 3 awaiting confirmation at the moment.
4. Backers/Funding Bodies – what happens if we don’t raise enough funds? As a passionate and committed group we will sell our grannies to make this happen, come what may.
In response to the above it is worth noting that between them, our collective has numerous BA (Hons) Degrees, plus MA’s, Research Fellowships, Directorships, Training and Education qualifications, several prizes, awards and commendations. We have been published and held leading roles in numerous mentoring schemes and community arts programmes. We have participated in numerous national and international exhibitions including in Japan, Belgium, Germany, Greece, Iceland, and of particular relevance, in the North of England.
Above all we hold a total of hundreds of years experience within the creative industries, both commercial and non-commercial. We wish to assure you that we are very experienced and highly qualified group of people.
- (55 days)