Our village library is under threat of closure, so we want to take it over and run it as a community.
We have a business plan that the County Council have said is realistic and achievable, but we need some support to start us off in our first year.
The plan is to retain all of the essential library services that it currently provides. This means retaining the quality of the current book stock, the ordering capabilities and the networked computer system.
Libraries promote reading and knowledge and help residents to find out local information. More than that though, they can inspire a love of books in children that can last a lifetime and also level the playing field for people who may not otherwise have access to this vast knowledge base.
In addition to the current library services the premises would become a community information hub. We already run a hub in Eastbourne so we know what we are doing!
• Provide community information: events, activities and free educational opportunities happening locally, information about local community organisations, and leaflets on support available locally in 27 key areas that we have identified (eg mental health support, financial advice, housing support, dementia support etc).
• Promote local volunteering opportunities available locally and encourage people to volunteer.
• Identify gaps in service provision locally and work collaboratively with other organisations to fill those gaps.
• Work with local community organisations: encourage resource sharing, collaborative working, provide networking opportunities, give them an online presence they may not otherwise have and offer them promotional support.
• Address disadvantage and deprivation in our Parish and reduce inequalities.
• Help to build a stronger, more resilient community in Pevensey.
Please help us to save Pevensey Bay Library, there are 1700 registered users in a Parish of around 4,000, and we cannot lose this resource that is vital to so many people.
Risks and challenges
East Sussex County Council meet on the 6th March when they will decide whether to accept our business plan. If they do, thanks to your pledges, we will be able to move ahead with our project. If ESCC do not accept our plan we will cancel this Kickstarter and you will not be billed. This Kickstarter finishes on the 16th March.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (44 days)