Next Stretch Goal: $15,000 - A new backer tier with a new reward -- Kelly plush dolls. (limited to 7)
- [new] Info about Kelly Doll stretchgoal
- [new] Added to FAQ about commission content
- [new] All backers have access to private comic live streams
- Info About More $50 Book Bundles
- New Backer Tier and Revised Stretch Goals
- Sticker Poll for Backers! (Voting ends on Feb 15th)
Love Me Nice is a story I started as a webcomic around 2010, inspired by my love-hate relationship with the children's entertainment giants that practically raised me. The story follows the turbulent personal lives of Mac T. Monkey Jr., a reluctant actor begrudgingly filling his famous father's shoes, and Claire Domani, his overclocked manager and girlfriend. Even in a world populated by strange and often silly 'toons co-existing with humans, it's all about keeping up appearances -- whatever the cost.
Love Me Nice, which you can read online, was the first comic I ever really drew, and even though over the last 4 years since starting it I've found work in other comics and illustration, this story has always been where my heart is.
[ Disclaimer: Love Me Nice has crude language and suggestive themes, and is intended for older readers -- teens and up. ]
The comic has never generated much of an income, which is fine! I never expected it to... but consequently, I've had to take on paying work and focus my attention everywhere else.
By having books to sell online and at conventions, Love Me Nice may not generate a large income, but it may bring in just enough to allow me to bump it up higher in priority. Mind you, I intend to see this story through to the end -- no matter what, I will keep drawing it. The success of this project will simply affect how frequently I can work on it, whether it stays a weekend project or starts seeing weekly updates.
My hope is that by putting it in a book, not only can I make it a bigger priority, but I can also put it in more hands. I always felt it'd be a more satisfying read as a book, and now's my chance to see if I'm right.
Volume 1 collects all of the pages to date -- the first 200 pages of Love Me Nice (Chapters 1-8). It will be a 220-page 6" x 9" perfect-bound softcover book with black and white/grayscale interiors and a full-color matte UV-coated cover. The cover has already been designed, and by the time the kickstarter funding period ends, the last few pages of the last chapter of Volume 1 will be finished -- all it needs is to be sent to the printer.
Many of the early pages were drawn at a different scale/ratio than that of the desired book dimensions, and so are in the process of being edited and tweaked to fill out the pages better. Below is a sample of a page that's been rearranged to fit the book's size:
Other changes include:
- Re-toned the second half of chapter 6 to match the rest of the book
- First 5 color pages changed to grayscale/black-and-white
- Minor art tweaks
In order to acquire 1,500 books and fulfill rewards offered through this Kickstarter, my goal is $7,500, which is broken down into:
- Printing: $3,800
- Shipping from the printer: $400
- Rewards: $500
- Shipping to backers: $2,000
- Kickstarter: ~$800
Due to the nature of Kickstarter, if the project doesn't reach funding -- no harm, no foul. But in the unlikely situation that the project is overfunded, any extra money will be put towards a) fulfilling more rewards b) shipping costs c) funneled back into Love Me Nice, so that I can focus on it over other projects.
- [ REACHED ] $8,000 - 10 more Book Bundles will be unlocked
- [ REACHED ]$9,000 - 10 more Book Bundles and 5 more commissions will be unlocked
- [ REACHED ] $12,000 - All $50+ backers will receive the Mac Sr. lapel pin, all commissions will upgrade from grayscale markers to full color markers
- $15,000 - A new backer tier with a very special, very limited reward -- Kelly plush dolls. (limited to 7)
- $20,000 - addition of Carolina plush dolls, limits for each raised to 10.
SHIPPING NOTE: Original pages and commissions will be shipped separately from the books to keep them from bending and to avoid higher shipping costs from using a large box. This will be at no extra cost.
$10 - PDF and a sticker (to be designed with backer input)
$15 - Physical copy of the book, plus PDF and sticker.
$25 - Physical copy of the book with a signed bookplate sketch, plus PDF and sticker.
$30 - Signed/sketched copy of the book with a random acrylic character charm, plus PDF and sticker.
- These charms were available several years ago before my original supplier shut down, and upon funding a new batch will be ordered in time for Kickstarter backers.
$40 - Signed/sketched copy of the book with a Kickstarter-exclusive character lapel pin, plus PDF and sticker.
$45 - Signed/sketched copy of the book with a all 4 acrylic character charms, plus PDF and sticker.
$50 - A bundle of Love Me Nice Vol. 1 and Titty Time Vol 1. (18+), both with signed bookplate sketches, plus PDF and sticker.
- Titty Time was my first book, a collection of cute and positive erotic comics, and has reached the end of its initial print run, meaning books are limited. If funded sufficiently, I will be able to order more as a bonus.
$150 - An original signed page, with the signed/sketched copy of the book, 1 acrylic character charm, PDF and sticker.
- Only pages 5 through 138 are available. Inks and blue pencil on 9x12 bristol.
$250 - A 9x12 grayscale marker commission, with the signed/sketched copy of the book, 1 acrylic character charm, PDF and sticker.
Thank you so much for considering my comic project, and even if you can't offer monetary support, if you like what you see, please spread the word -- every little bit counts!
Risks and challenges
My last project was delayed 2 years due to the offset printer that took my project on later dropping me for dubious reasons, and though I have fulfilled all rewards and the project succeeded, it has been a lesson in "things going wrong." That is severely unlikely to happen again.
This time around, I have several offers to help with distribution, I have received quotes from several reputable printers, and the art and majority of the editing is done. Possible delays involve printer being over-booked or running slow, and/or having to find a new printer to counteract overbooking/slowness.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)