City Growers is producing green jobs by creating nutrient-dense food farms on vacant lots throughout Boston's urban neighborhoods.
Help City Growers Grow!
City Growers is a new kind of community-centered urban farm that provides jobs for underemployed residents and fresh locally-grown produce for Boston businesses and residents. Founded in 2010, City Growers has successfully established itself as a Boston urban farm that is here to stay!
In 2012, we proved that our innovative urban farming model is sustainable. Intensively growing nutritious greens on just one quarter acre of land can support a farmer! Your contribution will allow us to acquire and prepare a quarter-acre lot in Roxbury, Massachusetts cultivating lettuce and greens for market.
Supporting this Kickstarter Helps City Growers:
- Provide jobs in Boston communities that have the highest rates of unemployment.
- Improve the nutritional health of city residents.
- Reduce Boston’s carbon footprint.
Our goal is to transform Boston, the largest city in a state with the fastest-growing food-stamp program, into a hotspot of nutritionally- dense food production. Each season, we are converting more vacant city plots into productive urban farmland.
Your contribution to City Growers supports community food security and promotes economic sustainability in five important ways:
(1) It enables City Growers to add a new quarter-acre lot in Roxbury to our growing city farm. Funding from Kickstarter will go directly to acquiring and preparing the lot.
To accomplish this we need:
- 15 inches of clean soil spread over a 1/4 acre
- Money for seeds
- A walk behind tiller
- Water hook-up
- Farmer training
(2) It gives Boston and Cambridge residents access to freshly harvested, hyper-local produce 10 months out of the year. Our produce travels an average of 3 miles from farm to table. City Growers produce is currently delivered to restaurants and local grocery stores in Jamaica Plain, Cambridge, the South End, Downtown Boston, and Roxbury. Some of our buyers include Tremont 647, Haley House, City Feed & Supply, Foodies, Centre Street Cafe, and Sherman's Market.
(3) It supports the next generation of urban agricultural entrepreneurs. It takes a lot of work to run a farm. City Growers puts people back to work on land in their own neighborhoods – land that has often been ignored and off limits for decades. Our model makes it possible for cultivating on small lots to be economically productive. We provide access to land that’s ready for growing, on-site training for farmers, an infrastructure that supports good agricultural practices, and access to markets.
(4) It provides education and training on such topics as intensive farming, food literacy, community- building, and skills-sharing to our volunteer farmers. We are grateful for so many volunteers! We have hosted volunteers and programs from: The Move, Greater Four Corners Action Coalition (Dorchester), Harvard Food Law Society, Palestinian and Israeli fellows from the Jewish National Fund, The Mayors Youth Council, Dorchester’s Sportsmen’s Tennis Club campers and Mattapan Food and Fitness.
In creating this local food enterprise, we hope that bringing together people from many Boston neighborhoods, will forge partnerships to address the economic issues affecting our community.
We did just that at our first annual hosting of the Boston Urban Farming Conference in March 2013 - providing an opportunity for local farmers to reflect and process, improve systems, and support one another through sharing innovations, resources and knowledge.
(5) Your contribution will help us get closer to our goal of sustainability! Raising money here will show foundations and investors that our initiative has lots of support, as our next big initiative will involve season extension. We are determined to grow 10 months out of the year in the Northeast and we need investors to help us get there!
We thank you for your support.
Yours in good produce,
Partners: Glynn Lloyd and Margaret Connors
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Farming always comes with challenges! There are possible delays in the city granting use of the land, a poor harvest season due to potential drought, storms, or pestilence are some issues that might arise. We will solve any problems with the advise and assistance of the groundswell of community support we have behind us, respecting and treating mother nature well each day to enhance the growing of the good food movement.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
seconds to go
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
Eco Karma!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
A personalized thank you to YOU on FacebookEstimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
Organic seeds for your community or home garden and a thank you on facebookEstimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
A thank you City Growers cloth produce bag with organic seedsEstimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
A City Growers produce bag full of our fresh produce (farm pick-up)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $250 or moreYou selected
A tour of our existing or newest farm sites and bag of fresh produceEstimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
One month of a weekly CSA box ( farm pick-up)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
Dinner for two at Centre St. Cafe Jamaica Plain, MA and a tour of each of our city farms by our teamEstimated delivery:
Pledge $5,000 or moreYou selected
Your name on a banner during farm construction and a tour of all our farmsEstimated delivery:
Pledge $10,000 or moreYou selected
We will grow for you on our very own 1,000 sf custom plot for a 22-week season.Estimated delivery:
- (26 days)