Did you miss us on Kickstarter?
Click here to find out how to order your copy of I Am The Fourth Wall.
The Fourth Wall. In the theatre it exists as the veil between actor and audience. For us, it's the thin shroud that keeps us from knowing what stares in, watching our every move.
I Am The Fourth Wall is a One vs. All asymmetrical card game of Lovecraftian Cthulhu horror. Set in jiving 1950’s suburbia, it features a nail-biting, action-based struggle between the Investigators and The Wall - one of the nightmarish beings from beyond our dimension. It focuses on tight teamwork and coordination, careful hand management, and the option to take on high risk/high reward strategies.
The Dice Tower does such a perfect job telling you about the game, I'll let them take it from here!
In the game you will find a plethora of playable characters giving you a minimum of 1320 possible starting combinations (and that's with the minimum number of players and before unlocking any of the stretch goals!)
In addition to the deeply tactical One versus All gameplay, we've lovingly crafted three more ways to play into I Am The Fourth Wall. This ensures a playstyle for every group, regardless of preference or number of players.
- One vs All - 1 player as the eldritch abomination known as The Wall, 2-6 players as intrepid Investigators trying to stop them
- Full Co-op - 2-6 Investigator players struggling against the might of an AI controlled Wall
- One vs One - 1 player as The Wall versus one player as 3 (or 4) Investigators, for a difficult and deeply tactical, competitive experience
Solo - An AI controlled wall versus one player as 3 (or 4) Investigators, for those who want to challenge themselves
Beyond being among the first to receive this amazing game (and with it, our undying love), backing on Kickstarter has a number of tantalizing benefits:
Great Discount - With an estimated retail price of $45 AUD,you're saving $10 AUD (enough for a truly Lovecraftian breakfast of doughnuts and cheese… No, really... that's what he ate).
Kickstarter Limited Print Run - This edition of I Am The Fourth Wall will be a limited print run, with only a small number of excess copies going into general distribution after the Kickstarter campaign is completed. So all the extra goodies you get will set your copies apart from the rest!
- Lots of Shiny Extras - Your pledge will help make this Limited Kickstarter version of the game better for everyone! New cards, better tokens and even expansions can all be unlocked!
Investigators are ordinary people who have stumbled upon the knowledge of there being something not quite right with the world. Here are a list of Investigators that feature in I Am The Fourth Wall:
- The Street Magician
- The Waitress
- The Mall Cop
- The Photographer
- The Professor
- The Scientist
- The Private Eye
- The Faith Healer
- The Grease Monkey
- The Archaeologist
- The Psychiatrist
- The Crooner
- The Housewife (Unlocked!)
- The Salesman (Unlocked!)
- The Special Agent and Associate (Unlocked!)
- The Conspiracy Theorist (Unlocked!)
- The Con Artist (Unlocked!)
- The Coach (Unlocked!)
For those who require the details:
- Cards - Standard poker size (2.5" x 3.5" or 63.5mm x 88.9mm) made of 300gsm Black Core stock.
Box - Magnetic lid with cardboard insert for keeping cards and components secure. The compartments will also be large enough to store cards that have been sleeved. Dimensions: 145mm x 195mm x 50mm
- Tokens - 1.5mm punch-board.
Linen finish upgrade for box and all components has been unlocked through stretch goals! Thanks everyone!
There are a bunch of awesome people who have been delving into I Am The Fourth Wall in the lead-up to this Kickstarter campaign. Below are a couple of videos from some very notable gamers who have jumped in to embrace/fight the madness!
If All versus One is your sort of thing then definitely check out Never Bored Gaming's video. Co-Op and Solo mode more your style? Be sure to click on the MCGuiRE review or give The Unfiltered Gamer's video a watch!
Set in jiving 1950's suburbia, I Am The Fourth Wall takes 30 - 45 minutes minutes to play. With 6 Walls and 12 Investigators in the base game, (each of whom have unique abilities), all game modes feature a range of different tactics and vast replayability.
I Am The Fourth Wall delves deeply into the Lovecraftian lore, combining it with incredible, stylised art, and tying it together with thematic and detailed gameplay that will drown you with nail-biting tension. One player takes on the role of The Wall, one of the many ancient beings hell-bent on driving the world into perpetual madness. They seek to open five dimensional gates to the nightmarish realm beyond, while facing oﬀ against the remaining 2-6 players, who become the Investigators: everyday people such as waitresses, detectives, and street magicians, who know that their only chance to save humanity lies in banding together, closing all of the gates, and thus banishing The Wall from their world... for a time.
The Wall will act between each of the Investigators’ turns, disrupting them by using a sleek action point system that can vary depending on how reckless the Investigators are being. The Wall can choose between taking an aggressive Wrath turn or a more defensive Brood turn.
In a Wrath turn, The Wall can spend their Doom Tokens to put pressure on the Investigators and potentially drive them insane:
- Delve - Draw a Horror card from the deck
- Manifest - Play a Horror from their hand
- Trigger - Use the ability of a Horror they have played
- Destroy - Discard a Marble card that the Investigators have in play
Unique Action - A powerful ability that is different for every Wall
Alternatively The Wall may take a Brood turn, biding their time. This type of turn is defensive, but not to be underestimated. It grants a range of benefits:
- Undrain - Horrors become ready to use their abilities again
- Store Power - The Wall accumulates Doom Tokens to increase the ferocity of their next turn
- The Scourge - One of the Horrors on the streets becomes an immediate threat and must be defeated before the Investigators are allowed to close gates
The Investigators, with their diverse special abilities, use an elegant and streamlined symbol matching mechanic to destroy the nightmares plaguing the streets. Through this, they can buy precious time until the opportunity for closing a dreaded gate arrives. Investigators can even draw upon the very essence of madness known as Exploiting the Rift, gaining a powerful edge at the cost of providing an advantage to The Wall.
Although it is possible for Investigators to be driven insane, (and let's face it - this is Lovecraft, where people get driven insane all the time), players are never eliminated from the game. Instead, at the start of their next turn they will draw a new Investigator and return to the fray. However, this causes a dimensional gate to be opened, drawing The Wall a step closer to triumph.
For those who desire a more visual display of this riveting gameplay we've recorded an instructional playthrough that turned into a game that was far more intense than we had anticipated.
What sets I Am The Fourth Wall apart?
Asymmetrical Gameplay - Not only are the cards on each opposing side vastly different, but the turn structure and actions on each side have heavily contrasting mechanics
Player count scaling - Whether it’s a solo game or a party of up to seven players, the game will scale accordingly. So instead of large groups having to slog through four-hour games, you can enjoy multiple games where you switch up the roles (and see who makes the most diabolical, interdimensional alien being).
- Dual purpose cards - The cards - or Marbles - that make up an Investigator’s hand not only dictates the tools that they can use to close gates and defeat horrors, but double as their sanity, making decisions deeply tactical. Do you hoard your cards, preserving your mind while The Wall grows in power, or play too many and risk being claimed by madness?
- No player elimination - When an Investigator loses all of their Marbles, they are driven insane. However, they are not eliminated - in their next turn, they will return as a new Investigator with a new hand of Marbles. While some may seek to use this as a strategic maneuver, beware the heavy toll - as soon as an investigator is driven mad, a gate is opened, and the Wall is takes another step closer to victory.
- Double-Edged Sword - All investigators are able to Exploit the Rift, tapping into the highly volatile dimensional energies swilling through the streets. While this can hugely sway the game (for instance, replenishing the sanity of your whole team, or wiping out all the monsters in sight), it comes at a price. With every rift exploited, the Wall generates an additional Doom Token for their next turn (and with it, more strength to push back against the Investigators).
We understand the age old adage of try before you buy so here's a here's a full colour copy of the rulebooks for you to read. These are still a work in progress, so any feedback or comments that you have are greatly appreciated and will help make the game better for everyone.
Please send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
To top it off, you can also test out the beta version of I Am The Fourth Wall on Tabletopia. Just download the rules from above and you're set to go!
Follow us on social media! Make sure to share the project with all of your friends so we can unlock even more awesome stuff!
Shipping is always a complex process for any board game. We want to make sure that your order is delivered promptly, safely and cost effectively. We are also using friendly shipping to ensure that you're not hit with nasty customs charges when collecting your game.
As an additional bonus for our backers, we are subsidising all shipping costs to help deliver your game at a very reasonable price. All prices below are in AUD and will be added to your pledge.
- US - $10
- Australia - $10
- Canada - $12
- UK - $10
Germany - $12
- Rest of the World - $16
Antarctica - $0 (wait... what?!? Oh right. Choose this for Pick Up)
Pick Up (Australia Only)
If you live in or near Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane in Australia you can opt to pick up your goodies from the locations listed below. To do this, just choose Antarctica as your shipping destination.
- Location Pending
- Location Pending
If you actually need your game shipped to Antarctica you will also receive free shipping - provided that you send us photos of you playing I Am The Fourth Wall amidst the penguins (and the Elder Things - make sure you watch out for those).
Bulk Orders (retail and groups)
If you're looking to get six or more copies of I Am The Fourth Wall, then get in touch with us and we will sort out a custom bulk order to meet your needs.
Please send your inquiries to email@example.com
A colourful collection of characters came together to spend countless hours producing a game they know you will love.
Let's meet them...
Risks and challenges
Although making and publishing a board game is hard work, with a heavily involved process and lots of moving parts, this isn't our first trip down these horror filled streets. We have been through this process before and have learned all the tips and tricks from people who have done the same. As such, we have a solid idea of what to expect in the upcoming months to see this project to completion.
1. As this is our 3rd Kickstarter, we understand the production process, and can knowledgeably set up realistic timeframes.
2. We're working with a very experienced manufacturing company who has done plenty of quality Kickstarter Tabletop games before. We have the quote all ready to go and a draft email ordering it all set up. The second that we’re funded, we hit enter and the whole process starts.
3. We're dedicated to amazing backer communication, and so have a dedicated media manager. We intend to respond to all comments, and questions within 24 hours, and supplement this with weekly live streams, and updates on every step and decision we make.
4. There is always the possibilities for delays in manufacturing and shipping which are beyond our direct control. Taking this into account, we have included generous buffers to time and budget estimates to ensure that should any of these situations arise, it won’t impact our backers. With all of this and 2 years of full time development, know that we are 104% dedicated to getting I Am The Fourth Wall out to the world as soon as possible for your enjoymentLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)