About this project
COLOR ME GONE
Color Me Gone is a photobook with a circular narrative about a developing Vietnam. I spent 10 years photographing the country where I began to see it as a bit of a dark fairytale or a film noir where I romanticized the nostalgia I never knew.
The beautifully handmade book features a unique double-binding screw post system that allows the viewer to experience it frontwards or backwards. Each side offers a different perspective about Vietnam with a simple message: Forget what you remember and remember what you forgot.
For the past three years I've worked with the great Teun van der Heijden to conceptualize, design and edit this book. He has designed/edited many amazing books such as Black Passport, Diamond Matters, Rape of a Nation, Latitude Zero, War Porn, Gold Coast, Belgian Autumn, Inshallah, Carpe Fucking Diem, When I was Six and recently Magic Party Place.
Together we created this unique calendar-style, dual-binding system. When you look at the book in the opposite direction, not only are the images reversed, but because of the dual-binding system, the images are flipped from top to bottom – thus offering a very different perspective. Everyone has their own perspective about Vietnam. This book merely seeks to challenge that.
Photobooks are expensive to make and the publishing model doesn't favor the photographer. Publishing companies were interested in my book but after doing the math, I decided to self-publish. I understand my audience and plan to partner with a distributor when the book is printed. The $35,000 I'm seeking to fund this project will pay for the printing and hand binding of the book. The result of this campaign will determine the number of copies I will be printing. Any money earned past $35,000 will go towards a traveling exhibition when the book launches.
- The book is approximately 9.5x12" (24.5x30cm)
- Features 130 full page black & white and color images
- The hardcover is covered with linen and the title is screen printed
- The double-binding is held together with a four screw post system
- Beautiful thumb screws on either side make it easy to use
*All details are an approximation
- HIGH FIVE - At the $5 reward level get a virtual high five and a personal thank you!
- THE MUSIC - At the $10 reward level you get a personal thank you from me and a link to download a digital copy of the song Color Me Gone created by Sun Jun and myself to put you in the mood to read the book.
- THE FILTER - At the $20 reward level you get a LensStrap mailed to you. The LensStrap is a smart phone color filter bracelet that I invented and produced while living in Vietnam.
- THE REVIEW - At the $50 reward level I will review your portfolio and give you any professional advice that I can. I will also retweet your website.
- THE BOOK - At the $75 reward level you will receive a special edition of my book Color Me Gone – only available to Kickstarter supporters!
- THE LIGHTBOX - At $95 you will receive the lightbox is an LED lamp that illuminates a photograph. You have a choice of ONE print out of six. The lamp works on 100-240 voltage so it's prefect for any location in the world. (This reward does not include a book)
- COLLECTOR'S BOOK - At the $150 reward level you will receive the limited edition of Color Me Gone. This will be editioned, signed and will have a different cover and a special design feature that sets it apart from the regular book. Design to be determined.
- COLLECTOR'S 8X10 - At the $350 reward level you will receive the limited edition book Color Me Gone and your choice of ONE limited edition 8x10" (20x25cm) print.
- COLLECTOR'S 8X10 PACK - At the $500 reward level you will receive the limited edition book Color Me Gone and your choice of TWO different limited edition 8x10" (20x25cm) prints.
- COLLECTOR'S 17x22 - At the $750 reward level you will receive the limited edition book Color Me Gone and your choice of ONE limited edition 17x22" (43x56cm) print. These are editions of 15.
- REMNANTS COLLECTION - At the $1500 reward level you will receive the limited edition book Color Me Gone and a limited edition box set inside a restored ammunition metal box used in the American-Vietnam War. I was going to edition these at 10, but then I kept one for myself. :)
- TWO FOR TWO - At the $2,000 reward level you will receive two 20X30" (51x76cm) limited edition prints. These are editions of 15. You will also receive the limited edition book.
- GALLERY COLLECTION - At the $4000 reward level you will receive all six limited edition print options sized at 17x22" (43x56cm) and the limited edition book. These are all editions of 15.
- THE ONE - At the $5000 reward level you will receive your choice of photo from my catalogue in an edition of one. It doesn't become more limited than that. The size is 40x55" (102x140cm). You will also receive the limited edition book.
Below you can see the rewards in more detail:
Risks and challenges
When publishing a photobook there's always a possibility of delay. But Teun is very experienced when working with printers and binders. If fact we already have a few of them lined up for this project. I don't foresee any challenges with getting this book printed and in your hands by October, 2017.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)