UPDATE: Now that we've MET our goal (Woohoo!) we wanted to tell you our AWESOME plan if we exceed funding...
$3000 above our goal will make it so we can IMMEDIATELY apply for a curb space permit near 52nd & University where we LOVE to be and where we know we've got a lot of fans!
BEYOND $6000 above our goal and we'll also be able to begin a wholesale program in July/August - selling our sammies at small local businesses - making it easier for you to enjoy our treats!
IF we go $8,0000 beyond our goal, we'll throw a private ICE CREAM SAMMIE party for all of YOU!!!
Please watch our video above, check out our AMAZING incentives (Did you hear? We’ll help you propose…with ice cream!) and if you want to support this exciting venture, please click on the green “Back this Project” button to your right.
Hi! We’re Seattle’s Cookie Counter! This is a team effort by us, Chelsea & Chris. This idea has been brewing in our minds for over three years after asking numerous times…“Why isn’t there a vegan ice cream truck in Seattle?” We’ve tried plenty of vegan ice cream and while we’ve found a few that we enjoy, we’ve never been CRAZY about any of them and EVERYONE deserves to get a little crazy about ice cream.
Chelsea’s background ranges from a personal vegan chef & baker, to small scale catering, to waitressing & barista-ing, and she also has experience working with business accounting. She has always been an advocate for her community, volunteering with foster kids and elementary & middle school youth. When The Cookie Counter is up and running she definitely plans to be involved in community events!
Chris is truly a people person and loves providing outstanding customer service. Chelsea thinks his line was always the longest at the grocery store, where he worked for over ten years, because he made everyone smile! He has been an advocate for Animal Rights for many years and a taste tester for Chelsea’s creations for over five. He is a fantastic father to his twelve year old son, Mally. He is excited to show Mally that with a dream, a lot of hard work, and the support of your community, you can create something really special!
Whether you’re dairy free for ethical reasons, food sensitivities, or you’re not at all and you just love ice cream, we promise that you will enjoy our treats! Unlike other trucks offering vegan ice cream, we will have more than one or two options, we are committed to creating a variety of unique flavors (and old standbys) made thoughtfully and with love.
Chelsea has had plenty of experience perfecting recipes and she is not one to quit until she gets an amazing result! All of our treats are 100% vegan and made from scratch. We think the creaminess and flavor notes in our ice cream will amaze you!
We’ve selected unique flavor combinations such as: Earl Grey with Lemon Zest, Orange Cardamom with Coconut Chocolate Chunk, Gluten Free White Chocolate with Mint, Green Tea with Raspberry, Gluten Free Coconut Lime with Mango as well as plenty of surprises...we can’t share them ALL with you! And we’ve done INTENSIVE research with the 4-12 year old population to make sure we have plenty of kid friendly flavors!
**Please check our "FAQ" below for more info. about ingredients and where you'll be able to find us!
Our truck will…
- Sell our own, 100% made by us, ice cream sandwiches, prepackaged in our kitchen space. Having our treats prepackaged will allow us to be stationary as well as have a permit to drive around Seattle neighborhoods as a traditional ice cream truck (yes, including your favorite ice cream tunes!)
- Be a fun, unique, and charming addition to the street food scene in Seattle – it’s a Sky Blue 1974 VW bus that will be converted with a counter top for ordering!
- Be available for special event catering: weddings, parties, you name it!
- After summer, we will continue with the truck the rest of the year, selling ice cream on a smaller scale, but adding delicious vegan baked goods as well as drip coffee.
What we have
- 1974 Volkswagen Bus
- Business License & Retail Food Permit
- A lease at a kitchen space
- Our own perfected ice cream and cookie recipes
- A whole lot of taste testers that thought we were fooling them when we told them our ice cream sandwiches were vegan!
What we need
- A larger ice cream maker ($1300)
- A cold plate freezer ($2500-$3000)
- An ice cream truck sound system ($500)
- Repairs on our van ($2000-$3000)
- Specialized mobile food seller’s permit ($1000)
- Materials for counter & payment for labor ($2500)
- A logo design & vinyl decals for van ($2000)
- Biodegradable packing, stickers, labels, and heat sealer ($1500)
- Electronic CC payment terminal & service to get us started ($500)
- Ingredients to get us started ($800)
- 1 month of gas & various stationary location permits/fees ($1500)
- Various containers & tools for kitchen use ($800)
- 1 month kitchen space rental ($500)
If our funding goes $3,000 ABOVE our goal, we'll be able to definitely purchase a curb space permit so that we can vend 2 times/week in the U-DIST where we've got a lot of fans!
If our funding goes beyond that, some things we'll be able to do are: quickly reserve space at a couple of major Seattle festivals this summer, begin working on a wholesale program to sell at local co-ops - so you can always find our tasty treats!
While we’re at it...
We thought we should note that we are aware that we can’t technically call our product “ice cream” as the FDA requires a certain amount of milk fat for a product to be considered ice cream. Our packaging will denote “non-dairy frozen dessert,” and the decals on our truck will specifically say “vegan ice cream.” As for the AWESOME vintage “Ice Cream” sign we will be affixing to the roof of the truck. Well, that’s our truck’s name…Ice Cream the Truck! We hope you like him!
Logo for Tote and Stickers!
Risks and challenges
With all of our initial research it seemed that the biggest challenge would be figuring out all of Seattle’s mobile food unit laws and how to go about getting permits, etc. It has been a very pleasant experience working with the Department of Health and Mobile Permit Unit (we’re totally serious – thank you city of Seattle workers!) The fact that our treats are packaged by us before sale makes the whole mobile vending thing A LOT easier! As far as stationary location permitting, we’ve done our research and already have a couple of permanent locations on hold.
Another risk is the fact that our livelihood will exist within this 1974 VW bus. We are sure the bus will need repairs throughout the life of our business. We plan to have funds set aside in case any issues arise!
And of course it will be a risk AND a challenge to start up a new business from scratch. We feel that we couldn’t live in a better place for starting a vegan ice cream truck and we are confident that if we can get this up and running, we will be successful! With Chelsea’s amazing recipes & business sense, Christopher’s excellent way with people, and our excitement to share this with you, we feel that we will get everybody CRAZY FOR ICE CREAM!!!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (23 days)