Skillz Drum Books - Level 1, the free encyclopedia of rhythm (Canceled)
Skillz Drum Books - Level 1, the free encyclopedia of rhythm (Canceled)
The most complete 2400+ pages, interactive, digital drum book/encyclopedia. Freely accessible to all drummers at all levels.
The most complete 2400+ pages, interactive, digital drum book/encyclopedia. Freely accessible to all drummers at all levels. Read more
Wouldn't it be cool to have all the things rhythmically interesting in one place? Have every subject scrutinized by a group of experienced drummers with authority so you don't have to second-guess its correctness and therefore its merit? That's the idea of having an encyclopedia of rhyhthm called Level 1.
How it works
Here's an image of the index of part G(rooves). As you can see it has the shape of a matrix. This way we not only can go vertically to the next paragraph for the next subject, but we can also go horizontally to the next chapter. This way you'll learn how to apply the same information in different time feels, and never lose perspective of where you are in the process and what still needs to be done.
A look at a random page
Every button you see is interactive so imagine having clicked on the G7.2 button we end up here:
This systematic approach shows us any conceivable variation of the groove. We can use navigation to go to the next or previous subject like in any normal book. But we can also go to the next or previous time feel and look at the corresponding grooves as well. We can also go back to the index of part G at all times.
But there's more, much more - 3D: the other parts
We can also click on any of the other parts to go to corresponding page. There are eight parts working like this.
And best of all, they're all linked! No more flipping through pages, a simple click will suffice. We can go from a specific groove to its corresponding fills, tips, exercises, audio and MIDI loops. And the home button will always take you back to the index of the part you're in. Think of how much time this will save you.
Use Level 1 on any device
Although we recommend at least a 13" screen to study or teach with, a smartphone can be used as well. In fact, this may come in very handy to catch up on your theory when waiting somewhere.
Specifications - Technical specifications of Level 1 Edition 2016 (Bèta version)
Number of pages per part of the book:
- 1. Grooves (p.14-798) = 785 pages
- 2. Fills (p.799-1513) = 715 pages
- 3. Tips (p.1514-1699) = 85 pages
- 4. Exercises (p.1700-1883) = 84 pages
- 5. CORE (p.1884-2105) = 122 pages
- 6. Systems (p.2106-2255) = 149 pages
- 7. Audio (p.2256-2356) = 101 pages
- 8. MIDI (p.2357-2438) = 82 pages
Total number of pages: 2440
Total file size in pdf: Appr. 1.07GB (1070MB)
Total file size in .zip format for download: Appr. 161MB (0.16GB)
When clicking on a link in the description, the song is automatically opened in your browser.
When you click a link in the description, your browser opens the loop (MIDI file) automatically in our web based MIDI player. We also took care of the sounds so it will sound good on any computer.
You can then decide the tempo, which tracks you want to play along to (with or without drums, click, or other instruments), and the individual volumes of the tracks.
How will Level 1 help you
Because of this linked structure and the provided perspective, having this encyclopedia practically eliminates the student's most common questions:
- What do I practice (next)?
- How should I practice to get the best results?
- How are theory and systems linked to grooves, fills and solos?
- Why do I always play the same stuff and how do I beat this?
- How do I practice technique in an interesting way?
- Which songs should I practice to besides my own favorites?
- What should I learn next and how can I be certain I don’t miss anything important?
For and by teachers
Level 1 also empowers teachers because they can use this encyclopedia to apply their own ideas and concepts to.
We've tried to come up with good value for money rewards. It starts off with a small thank you gesture, but soon becomes bigger with additional books thrown in.
Level 2 - the additions to Level 1
Level 2 is divided into smaller options. So the next book Sub 5 is offered as a reward, or paragraphs 21 (Linear Drumming Part 1) or 22 (Double Bass Part 1). You can also opt for the complete Level 2 add-on pack and save even more money. There are a ton of other ideas as well - for example, in the near future there will also be a lite version of Level 1 for children - but we can't throw everything in here at once. If you have lots of faith in us, and some extra money to spend you could opt for the all in lifetime Skillz pack.
Then there are the personal and business sponsor deals which include all of the above and a special thank you in the form of your name, picture, favorite charity, caricature, or interactive business logo in the book. If you really want to be seen you should opt for one of the index pages since this is where people will go most often to start studying or to go from one subject to another.
Money box spots
Lastly a few spots are available for major brands to advertise in Level 1 in what we call "the money box". This would mean the brand becomes a partner and as such is rewarded with having an interactive logo on almost all pages of Level 1 Edition 2017. This agreement will be renegotiated every year.
Why the absolute minimum to keep the current business model alive is €5000:
1. Artwork - €2000
2. Production - €1500
3. Programming - €1500
If the campaign exceeds the goal there will be more budget available for promotional purposes. I've spent quite a bit more these past few years on the development of Level 1 and I intend to make a living off of this as soon as possible. After all, this is my profession.
- Level 1 is created by drummers for drummers - it's certainly not our intention to make this look like a Do It Yourself-method. We strongly advise anyone interested in becoming a good musician to start by finding a good teacher. After all we are teachers ourselves. This encyclopedia is just our way of putting everything in one place so we all have the same playing field to start with. Then the interesting things start to happen for both students and teachers, and especially for people who have been playing for a while and are in need of new inspiration: the combinations! If you need assistance in doing so, we strongly advise you to find a great teacher near you, or simply get an online membership at our place: Skillz Drum Coach.
- Innovative educational material - This digital 2400+ pages encyclopedia let's you study more focused by creating a very clear perspective. It won't lie to you and say it's gonna be easy, it may actually overwhelm you initially, but it will help you to see exactly what needs to be done in order to be proficient at any aspect of rhythm.
- 100% Free - It's our goal to have companies advertise in this encyclopedia so we can distribute it freely. This way we can get the right material to anyone around the world with a computer and access to the internet.
- Environmentally friendly - we won't be pressing encyclopedias so we'll also be ecologically studying smart.
- Suggestions and updates - Everyone is invited to make suggestions by contributing new or editing existing material to the encyclopedia. So ideally it ends up being the ultimate “for every drummer, by every drummer” body of work where every drummer will find anything they need.
How you can help us
As a drummer you can participate because you simply want to endorse the project, because you want to have this encyclopedia, or because you want to enjoy our other soon to be released publications and/or online classes.
As a company you can participate because you want to promote your brand or product, because you want to affiliate your brand with innovative teaching methods, with environmentally conscious ways of distributing teaching materials, and with leveling the playing field for rich and for poor.
Either way your support will bring free rhythmic education to the world, and as such make it a little more beautiful in the process.
No matter what
If this campaign fails to reach its goal the Level 1 project will continue but there will be a price tag of around $80 attached to it. So you will still be able to get the 2400+ pages encyclopedia, but it won't be free.
Risks and challenges
100% free? What do you mean 100% free? Yup, the encyclopedia will be distributed freely. IF the goal is reached. This way everyone can benefit from all the acquired knowledge and experience compiled in Level 1. Any additional courses will be extra, but anything in Level 1 Edition 2017 will be 100% free of charge for at least another year.
But won't this model create a risk to update Level 1 annually? Yes indeed it will. If it isn't distributed widely enough to be of interest to companies to advertise in it, we can start another Kickstarter next year to pay for the update. And by then we will have more publications out so this means even better rewards for you!
We believe Level 1 will empower a new generation of students using this free, interactive digital encyclopedia. We hope they will be willing to actively support our efforts by spreading the word as much as they can. This way companies will get involved and advertising will pay for part of their education. This is risky as well because we kind of rely on the good nature of people to recommend the material to others. But if it's free, loaded with verified information and exercises, and updated annually partly because of suggestions of users how can they not recommend it to others? And after all, we got your attention, didn't we?
So while this business model is unorthodox in musician circles, we are confident it will work as long as we get a good Kickstart, and that's where your help comes in, financially and in sharing this with anyone you know who's interested in 'expanding the drum universe' as Gary Chaffee so eloquently put it.
Thanks for your support, let's create something beautiful together!
BobLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (46 days)