BUNDEL IN A NUTSHELL
Have you ever wondered why a blanket is good at keeping you warm? Most people think that it’s the insulation. Afterall, the thicker the blanket, the warmer you get right? Sort of. Insulation is only half the story. A blanket is also very good at sealing the heat inside the blanket. Because a blanket is typically much wider than your body, the excess blanket around your body rests against your bed creating a very effective natural seal. It’s this seal, along with a blankets insulation that makes it as effective as it is.
It turns out that warm still air is one of the best forms of insulation there is. This is why an average blanket will keep you warmer at night than a really thick jacket. A jacket doesn’t create the same pockets of warm air as a blanket because it hugs your body.
Not convinced of the importance of blanket seals and pockets of warm air? Next time you’re under the covers, slide the blanket all the way over so that one side of you body is just a few inches from the edge of the blanket. It’s noticeable right away that the poor seal won’t preserve your body heat no matter how thickly insulated your blanket is. Yet this is the seal we live with around our shoulder line.
The bundel is a blanket that covers your core. That’s why we call it a core blanket. Starting well above your shoulder line, the bundel extends all the way to your torso. By starting the bundel well above the shoulder line we create the same great blanket seal around the fourth side of the blanket, giving you pockets of warm still air all around your shoulders and upper torso. A warmer warm and comfortable cool. A bundel will maintain your body heat with far less leakage throughout the night. You won’t believe how much heat is lost from a traditional blanket until you try one.
BUNDEL CONCEPT TO PRODUCT
The original concept for the bundel started off as a horseshoe shaped cutout of a small flannel blanket that looked a little like a puzzle piece. In a rickety old cottage in Coronado, it did the trick, sealing heat along the top side of the blanket when I managed to stay perfectly still. While there were design flaws with this simple design, it was clear that there was something there. But in order to have broader appeal, we would need something that didn't move around so much during sleep. By the second prototype, we started sewing blanket pieces to pillow cases and thought we finally had a winner. During the testing phase it became clear that the bundel needed to cover your entire core area. By doing so, shoulders, chest, torso all benefitted from the additional blanket layer, and the core blanket was conceived. In the process, dozens of fabrics and liners and shapes were tested to arrive at a soft, durable, cozy sleep experience.
WHO IS THE BUNDEL FOR?
BUNDEL JOURNEY - A TRAVEL BLANKET
The bundel Journey is a light weight travel blanket that uses the same principles of the Bundel to seal in body heat above the shoulder line. The result is the same great pockets of warm air around the shoulders and upper torso. We’ve touched on why a square blanket isn’t the greatest when sleeping on a bed. It’s even worse when trying to sleep in a more upright position, like on a plane. A square blanket will consistently roll off your shoulders, leaving you clutching the blanket around your shoulder.
We also cut a pocket to hold a travel neck pillow inside the blanket. Simply stuff the pillow in the blanket and throw the pillow over your neck and the blanket will naturally fall into position. An added benefit of a pillow inside the bundel Journey is even more pockets of warm air. Creating an even warmer sleep experience. Seriously, you won’t believe how effective a light weight blanket can be.
Don’t have a neck pillow? Or don’t have the space for one when traveling light? No worries, we cut the pillow pocket generously so you can stuff a hand towel or a couple of light t shirts into the pocket to fashion a make shift pillow.
WHO IS THE BUNDEL JOURNEY FOR?
- Airplane blanket users: Traditional airplane blankets are horrible! They’re constantly falling off your shoulders, and anything that falls off your shoulders isn’t going to keep you warm. The bundel Journey is the solution. Simply throw it over your shoulders and let is spread over the headrest of your seat, creating the same great seal above your shoulder line as the bundel, meaning pockets of warm air around your upper core. If you’ve been reading along, you’ve heard us say that blankets work by a combination of insulation and seal. While the bundel Journey is both lightweight and compact, it’s unique design seals in body heat making it much more effective than anything else two or three times it’s weight.
- Neck pillow users: Neck pillows are great when you’re trying to sleep in an upright position. The bundel Journey is the perfect blanket to go along with one. Our design includes a slot where you can put a neck pillow, creating a killer pillow blanket combo. We keep harping on these ‘pockets of warm air’, the funny thing is, when you throw a big object around your neck (like a neck pillow), it creates lots of pockets of air. Design a blanket to keep that air still and you have a very effective travel sleep option. Don’t have the space to bring a neck pillow with you? We cut our slot big enough to put a hand towel or a couple of t-shirts into our blanket. I actually prefer this option since I usually pack light, and like to control exactly how big I want my pillow to be.
- Nap afficianados: Naps are awesome. Whether you’re catching a little shut eye between classes, post-lunch power nap, or it’s a lazy Sunday afternoon. Naps are awesome. The bundel Journey was designed to be used in an upright or reclined position where regular blankets tend to fall off.
- Will the bundel work if I sleep on my side? Yes. We designed the bundel with a triangular gusset between the flap and the pillow covering so that it would move with you. This allows you to turn from side to back to side without losing the bundel flaps easily.
- What’s the difference between the bundel 1 and bundel 2? The bundel 1 is made with a light weight cotton quilt lining. The Bundel 2 uses a warmer Dacron filler and has a fleece interior flap. The bundel 1 is a lighter weight 3 season blanket, while the bundel 2 is designed as a winter alternative.
- What colors will they come in? The bundel 1 will come in white, tan, and grey. The bundel 2 will come in tan with ivory colored fleece interior flap. The Bundel Journey will come in a tan with ivory fleece. We may add more colors depending on the success of the campaign, so feel free to throw out colors you’d like to see.
- If heat escapes out of the top side of a traditional blanket, then why don’t I notice it? Frankly, the human body is very resilient. People that have grown up in very polluted cities sometimes don’t notice just how bad the air quality is. Similarly, we’ve all grown up with a square shaped blanket as our only option. So our bodies adapted. Typically we use a much heavier blanket than necessary, and have learned to deal with it. But just because your body can do it, doesn't mean it should. The more we help our core during sleep, the better sleep we get.
- Is the bundel Journey only for upright sleeping? Can I use it to sleep at night in bed too? The bundel Journey works best for a more upright sleeping position, but if you’re traveling and luggage space is tight, a bundel Journey can be used when sleeping in a bed as well. Simply turn it over so the fleece side is facing away from your body, this will cause the bundel Journey to move less if you’re moving side to side in your sleep. Throw the Bundel Journey on as you would normally, and then get in bed. As with the bundel, you can sleep with it underneath another blanket (warmest position), or pull it out and let it rest on top of your blanket (less warm position) in this position, your arms will be able to breath without your core being exposed, or on a warm night, you might try sleeping with just the bundel Journey and no other additional blanket or sleeping bag.
I have selected a small manufacturer that specializes in bedding products in Los Angeles to produce the bundel. If our campaign is successful, we will use the funds to purchase fabric and begin production in August with shipment beginning in September. We've already made countless bundels with about 150 units ready to ship. This production on spec allowed for a tightening up the manufacturing specifications as well as heading off potential design flaws before heavy production begins.
Risks and challenges
One potential obstacle when it comes to fulfillment will be meeting our delivery target date. We've gone to great lengths to minimize this risk by selecting a reputable manufacturer who only makes bedding products. They are a cut and sew facility, meaning that we control the fabrics and materials that are used. And they happen to just be 100 miles up the 5 freeway from San Diego. So once the order is in, there will be regular visits to the manufacturer throughout the process. Thankfully, the design phase of this project is complete, and we have produced enough units to get out a lot of the kinks. So by the time our campaign is over, all of my attention will be directed towards manufacturing and fulfillment.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (30 days)