About this project
Descry (www.descrymagazine.com) is a visual arts project seeking funds for continued operations and to seed our 2011 expansion to offer a photographer’s grant, an online gallery, and production costs for the 4th issue of Descry Magazine. In our first year, Descry supported the visibility of over 70 emerging artists through online and print publication. Your pledge will help us to continue and dramatically extend our direct impact on the artist community.
Pledged Kickstarter funds will be a direct investment to launch the following projects:
1) ($1,500) Descry’s Online Gallery:
Descry’s online gallery will feature the work of the WQP grantee for a month as well as be a year-round exhibition grounds for women and queer photographers. The gallery will accept rolling submissions for exhibition.
2) ($1,000) Descry’s Annual WQP Grant:
Pledges will provide a seed fund for the 1st round of the WQP Grant, which, with minimal application fees, will in turn, be self-perpetuating. The WQP Grant will be offered annually to women and queer-identified photo-based artists who are 18 and older. The grant will fund current and ongoing projects.
3) ($4,000) Publication of Descry Magazine, Issue 4
As Descry is primarily concerned with promoting the work of visual artists and working as an engaged presence and affiliate with the community, we rely on grantors and fundraisers to seed production costs; We are thus not interested in relying on advertisements for funding. Your pledge will assist in the sustainability of our publication. Issue 3 is 80% funded by a grant already received and the remaining 20% will be subsidized by issue 1 and 2 magazine sales.
The goal of Descry WQP Grant and Online Gallery is to create an arts opportunity that lives Descry’s commitment to supporting the visibility of artists, engaging the community in an accessible way, and providing a cohesive support for the development and growth of visually based artists.
Descry WQP Grant fulfills a unique need in the San Francisco bay area’s art community and beyond, as there is no other funding and visibility opportunity that exists specifically for women and queer photographers. Thus Descry will be providing a crutch to the local arts community that does not yet exist, thereby supporting the visual voices of an underserved demographic (women and queers) which will strengthen the larger art community as a whole.
By offering financial and visibility support to photographers through a grant and online exhibition, Descry will offer a systemic framework of support for local artists to develop and continue their work in a visible capacity.
Descry WQP Grant and Gallery are an expansion of Descry Magazine, a visual arts publication which launched in the spring of 2010. Descry Magazine is a bi-annual publication born out of the necessity to support the visibility of emerging visual artists, particularly women, people of color and queers. Our publication is a nod to the fleeting beauty and beast of the modern world. Developed out San Francisco’s mission district, Descry is an innovative adjunct to the arts and counter-culture movement with a combined documentary and conceptual approach to cultural, political, and social experience. Descry is currently available in 15 independent bookstores and galleries throughout the country, including New York and LA.
Our circulation for Issue 1 and 2 was over 900 and, based on the success of our first year, we feel inspired and determined to expand our reach, broaden our community, and increase the visibility of our artists with Issue 3. In the next three years, Descry will further expand into Descry Place, a multipurpose space located in the mission district which will offer a physical gallery exhibition venue for artists, supplies grants and exhibition contracts with emerging photographers, and will offer skill building and professional development workshops to artists.
All funds raised beyond the $6,500 will be directly invested back into the expansion and continuation of Descry.
Support this project
- (60 days)