This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Thu, April 11 2019 4:25 PM UTC +00:00.
"You are born a Witch… And Witches have MUCH to do!"
Serin Fate takes a modern approach to classic RPG storytelling, featuring casual aspects like sandbox freedom, fishing, gardening, creature tending and adventure, while elegantly intertwining difficulty modes, multiplayer friends, creature-dueling, and leaderboards!
- On track for release in 2021 for Windows PC! (Date may vary with funding).
- This March of 2019 is Serin Fate's 2nd year anniversary!
- Serin Fate is in mid development -- this means many things will change & improve!
- Dedicated website & multiplayer interactions are Stretch Goals!
Adventure awaits for those who seek it! Tangled forests, labyrinthine temples, sprawling volcanic mountains, uncharted waters, and lively villages are likely places to arrive when traveling the untamed lands of Sarsera!
An adventurous Princess seeks her own path, and you're summoned by Royal appointment! Will you become the unlikely Hero of Chimera Kingdom? Perhaps you'll lead a more casual life, spending your days mastering skills, tending your lot and Chimera, or even get married... Your Fate is in your hands!
Discover and connect with complex peoples along your journey! There are three races in the world - Val, Serin & Human. Learning their cultures and choosing to dig deeper may yield unforeseen and desirable outcomes!
Dialogue decisions may create lasting relationships, or if taken lightly, could quickly "burn bridges"...
Witchery is a powerful skill to harness. Training at the Witches Guild, brewing potions, capturing Chimera creatures, gardening herbs, casting spells, riding broomsticks, and crafting Magical items are just some of the day-to-day duties of a new Witch!
Elements are the essence of the world, and take on six forms: Nature, Shock, Moon, Void, Water, Fire. Elemental relationships can be fine tuned to yield massive damage, and/or increase survivability!
Chimera are elusive Elemental creatures that come in all shapes and sizes, and often possess impressive abilities!
Build a party of Chimera to devastate your foes in battle, or tend and level them up... A happy Chimera may cause interesting events and spawn rare materials!
Skills are more than just a money-maker... That extra boost from a potion you crafted could be the turning point of a battle, or that strange fish you caught may attract a rare Chimera! Each skill is woven into the world of Sarsera and its peoples. What will you choose to master?
- Witchery is the core of being a Witch, and encompasses a variety of practices - from brewing potions and casting spells, to capturing Magical Chimera creatures.
- Woodcutting provides essential materials for crafting, and can be trained all over the world. Rarer woods may grow in extreme places!
- Mining pairs perfectly with an ambitious warrior! Crawl through cavern shafts in search of strange metals, and smith your haul into materials for crafting better equipment.
- Combat training is essential for survivability and becoming a stronger adventurer!
- Fishing peacefully on a sunlit waterfront is its own reward, though fish can fetch a pretty coin at the Midtown market. Obtain different Lures to explore the murky depths of all lakes, rivers and seas!
- Gardening is nothing, if not relaxing. Routinely tend your herbs and crops for a succulent yield... Or just landscape your home into a jungle!
- Herblore is a classic Witch's go-to... Rustle through the forest gathering rare ingredients, and cauldron powerful concoctions!
- Spirit Unity will unravel paths that would otherwise be undiscovered. Reveal new quests, areas, dialogues, NPCs, and even effect your luck! Bury the bones of fallen foes to raise your Spirit skill, and become more in-tune with the Elements... And the unseen!
Stretch Goals are all the awesome (often costly) features that will make Serin Fate bursting with vibrant and enduring content! Reaching a Stretch Goal's value ensures the feature will be in the final release. Let's smash these Goals!!
Some of the inspirations that help forge Serin Fate:
- Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite adventure RPGs to this day, and has one of the most detailed and immersive plots I’ve ever experienced. The story was great, but the presentation and freedom to explore it in your own way was amazing! I often consider this freedom in play style when writing and designing Serin Fate’s story.
- Pokemon always has casual, yet interesting game mechanics, and an amazing variety of creatures, each with distinct characteristics and abilities. I aim for this level of diversity and uniqueness when designing Chimera, and the more casual aspects of Serin Fate.
- Stardew Valley is packed full of wonderful pixel art. Its atmospheric aesthetic, and cleverly arranged beauty continuously inspires me to grow as an artist and indie developer!
- Legend of the Seven Stars, apart from being another personal favorite, had a very quirky and charming style. Most notably, in its cut-scenes, where the silent protagonist, Mario, would often explain himself by miming a chain of events to the crowd! This theatrical approach really brought the scenes to life, and is a style I try to recreate in Serin Fate.
Many of the challenges have already been overcome, and I say with confidence... We’re over the hill!
Serin Fate is a large project and I am a solo developer. This keeps cost of production low, but presents a tremendous work load. I do all the art, design, writing, programming, sound effect engineering, and planning.
From a programming perspective, an adventure RPG is the King of the 2-Dimensional realm, and requires a giant amount of base code. I spent a large portion of the past years creating and refining Serin Fate’s robust code base, so it can be can be flexible for all the changes and additions that will likely occur.
A custom musical soundtrack was a daunting challenge to face and known weak point from the beginning, for I am not musically experienced enough to produce the soundtrack Serin Fate deserves. To overcome this obstacle, I hired a wonderful free-lance musician, Lewis Harvey, to compose a custom soundtrack. Serin Fate currently has nineteen full-length tracks, and lots more are planned to come!
Financing a large production like Serin Fate is an elephant of an obstacle. I’ve been working part time as a night-janitor to earn enough to continue development… Now, I have have brought Serin Fate to Kickstarter. A successful campaign would allow for more extensive hired-help, an adequately large soundtrack, networking, hosting services, publishing & marketing expenses, extra release platforms, time in development, stretch goals, all the awesome envisioned features, and will ultimately expedite the entire process.
A little sneak peak at Serin Fate's soundtrack :)
I am Cameron Anderson (AKA Vether) the developer of Serin Fate. I have been practicing and learning all the nooks and corners of game development for the past 8 years. Video games have always been a part of my life; as a child, I played many of the classics on the SNES and N64.
My actions take the shape of my dream. (-My Hero)
I have all my cards on the table, and will see Serin Fate to completion even if it's the last thing I do...
In the end, I hope the countless hours of planning, creating, hardships, triumphs and all the love I've poured into Serin Fate will be reflected as a genuine and heartfelt experience... An experience filled with excitement, wonder, and adventure!
I thank you very much for your time and support. - Vether
To peer into the randomness of my life as a developer: Instagram
Risks and challenges
Many of the challenges have already been overcome, and I say with confidence... We’re over the hill! (See Risks / Challenges above).Learn about accountability on Kickstarter