Teen Lit Mob (TLM) is a conference for teen readers from all across Vermont to spend a day celebrating young adult (YA) fiction. It's free to attend, we provide lunch, teens get to meet a handful of authors, and every teen leaves with a tote bag and a stack of free, brand-new YA books. It's a totally amazing and empowering day for readers to find their book-loving community. We also believe it's essential that this conference remains free of charge for all participants to maintain easy access for Vermonters.
This year, TLM will be hosted at Champlain Valley Union High School in Hinesburg, VT, on Friday, April 5th from 9am-2pm.
Reading for pleasure is no easy thing when you're in high school (so much homework, assigned reading that can take over, etc,) and TLM aims to celebrate that reading should also be for fun.
The goals of Teen Lit Mob are to:
- Connect teen readers to authors and illustrators
- Connect teen readers to each other
- Support teen writers and illustrators
- Celebrate diverse stories
- Celebrate and encourage reading for pleasure
- Promote the Green Mountain Book Award, Vermont's teen-choice book award
- Cultivate an annual conference that celebrates YA literature in Vermont
Lisa Buckton, Peter Langella, and Jory Hearst hosted the first Teen Lit Mob in the spring of 2017 at the Fletcher Free Library in Burlington. We had a blast, and the feedback was tremendously positive, so we're pushing for this second one to be even better. We hope to make TLM an annual conference that will move to a new location around the state each year, allowing easier geographical access to different Vermont high school students depending on the year.
This is a blurb from our welcome email to participants to give you a better taste of what this conference is all about...
Here’s what you can look forward to at Teen Lit Mob:
- Connect and geek out with other teen readers!
- Attend author presentations & workshops throughout the day!
- Immortalize your favorite (or soon-to-be-favorite) book(s) with author signatures!
- Take home free books!
- Vote for your favorite Green Mountain Book Award titles!
Risks and challenges
We are feeling stuck with only grant funding and school budgets to make this happen. We're using this kickstarter campaign to get TLM tote bags (for books!) for all participants as well as make sure everybody gets lunch. :) It allows us to pick up our loose ends. Our hope is that this is a one-time Kickstarter, and in the future, we can secure more stable funding. Fingers crossed!
Our biggest challenges have been finding a location to host us, finding enough funding to make it happen (while ensuring that all authors receive an honorarium), and sustaining the energy to keep planning, even when we couldn't make this happen last year. So pumped it's happening in 2019!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)