About the film:
FIVE DANCES, written and directed by Alan Brown, is a creatively adventurous narrative feature film set in the New York 'downtown' modern dance world. The story follows the rocky emotional journey of an 18-year old dancer (the amazing Ryan Steele) with talent to burn, who must choose between his responsibility to his broken family in the Midwest, and forging a life and career for himself.
The film features five of New York's most gifted dancers acting on film for the very first time, and performing the choreography of internationally acclaimed choreographer Jonah Bokaer.
Where we are now:
Director Alan Brown and his frequent collaborator, cinematographer Derek McKane (this is their third film together), along with producer Agathe David-Weill, shot FIVE DANCES this past winter in downtown Manhattan.
We raised enough money to get us through to the end of production, and to pay (and feed!) our very talented cast and crew. Since wrapping production, Alan and our gifted editor Jarrah Gurrie have been in the editing room daily, working towards a final cut of the film. The footage looks amazing - as you can see from the Kickstarter teaser above! - and we're very excited by it.
We're aiming to finish post-production by late summer - just in time to submit FIVE DANCES to the major winter film festivals in the U.S. and Europe. This is where you can really help us!
We need funding to cover the costs of everything from the final months of the picture edit, to sound mixing, color correction, and music rights. We are also very fortunate to have an amazing composer, Nicholas Wright, (Nicholas scored Alan's award-winning 'Private Romeo' and 'Superheroes'). So your Kickstarter dollars will help to pay him as well!
Meet our talented team:
Writer/Director Alan Brown's past films have won numerous awards internationally. His 'Book of Love' was nominated for the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance. 'Superheroes' (on which he collaborated with FIVE DANCE cinematographer Derek McKane and Producer Agathe David-Weill) won, among other honors, the Maverick Spirit Award at Cinequest, and the Best Feature Award at the Avignon-New York Film Festival.
Brown's most recent film, 'Private Romeo', won a Grand Jury Prize at Outfest 2011 in Los Angeles. It was a Critics Pick of the New York Times, which declared it 'performed to perfection.' The New York Observer called it 'Brave, controversial, hugely adventurous and highly liberated!'
Internationally acclaimed choreographer Jonah Bokaer who created the dance for FIVE DANCES has been the recipient of countless awards in the U.S. and abroad. Jonah has been invited to create a work for Jacob's Pillow 80th Anniversary Festival.
And our wonderful, accomplished cast. We're so honored to have captured them on film. Kimiye Corwin, Reed Luplau, Catherine Miller, Luke Murphy, and Ryan Steele.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs):
1) How does Kickstarter work?
Kickstarter is an ALL-OR-NOTHING fundraising platform - which means if we don't reach our fundraising goal by our deadline, then no money is exchanged and our film doesn't get finished! We know this is incredibly RISKY but we have faith that our community (that means you!) will help us reach our goal in time, so we may finish post-production in time to premiere it at a major film festival next winter!
2) Where can I learn more about your project?
We don't have a website up yet, but we have Facebook page that we'd love you to check out. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Five-Dances/260599354013365
3) If I donate, when can I redeem the incentive?
Once we meet our fundraising goal, the incentives will be redeemed. Their delivery dates will depend on various factors. Please check out the "Estimated Delivery" date under each incentive. If you would like to check the status of your incentive at any time, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with INCENTIVE STATUS in the subject line.
4) What if I just want to support without the incentive? No problem! You will have the option to opt out when you make your pledge.
5) Can we exceed the goal? YES PLEASE! We'd love that! The goal we have set of $30,000 is the absolute bare-bones amount required to finish our project. A lot goes into making a movie, so exceeding our goal would only allow us to make an even better film!
6) Can I increase my contribution once it’s been made or change my reward to a different one? Absolutely! Once you make your contribution to our campaign, you may want to change your incentive reward to a different one, or increase your contribution amount. To do so, log unto our page and click on MANAGE MY PLEDGE. From there you will see the various options.
7) Can I Gift an incentive? Yes! Some of our incentives make terrific gifts! Simply make your contribution as usual, then email us at email@example.com with the subject line GIFT INCENTIVE, and the recipient’s name in the body of the email. We will then email you a lovely gift certificate (PDF) so you may present to the person receiving the reward.
8) Who does the money go to? Every penny (minus the fees for Kickstarter) will go directly to Five Dances, LLC for post production.
9) I’m not in the U.S. Can I still contribute to your film? Yes! You may contribute from any part of the world.
10) Have any other questions or want to say hello? We’d love to hear from you! Our email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- (30 days)