Hi I’m Carly. I’m the editor of Smaggle.com. I'm also a casual teacher at Waratah Special Developmental School.
Basically, I want to get a bus for my school.
As with most schools in Australia, getting funding for things like school buses is really difficult and much of the fundraising for these expensive and essential items becomes the responsibility of the school. A new bus will cost Waratah SDS about $50,000 which a lot of money for an underfunded school.
A school bus is essential for our special students at Waratah because many of our kids aren't verbal and need assistance with their mobility. They learn and grow in different ways and excursions are a big part of their socialisation and development during their school years. Most of our students aren't able to sit in chairs and learn in classrooms all day like mainstream students do. We take our students shopping, to the movies, to museums, parks and concerts. We teach them about money, social skills and communicating with other people that we meet out and about. Our current school bus is not equipped with wheelchair safety travel restraints. This means that our wheelchair bound students are left behind while their class goes on excursion simply because their chair can't be properly secured for travel.
This is Ekina, one of the students at Waratah who will benefit enormously from a new school bus.
"Hello! My name is Ekina. My birthday is the 19th April and I'm 7 years old. I like swimming, food, walking on the treadmill at school, swinging on the BIG swing and bike riding. We have a new puppy called Paris and sometimes I run over her on my bike by accident! My favourite time of day is breakfast, lunch and snacks as well as school time! My favourite colour is red and my grandmother always makes sure I wear it every day. At school I'm learning how to communicate and walk independently which I am pretty good at I must say! My teachers are Marisa and Krystyna and I have so much fun with them every day. We do art at school and at lunch time we play outside which is really FUN! I love swinging and I can go as high as the sky! That's what my sister Jane-Rose says! My sister and I also play the piano a lot. My sister says I have the cutest pianists fingers in the WORLD."
Personally, I think it's a bit crap that some of the students have to miss out on excursions so I've decided to use my blog to start a social media fundraising project called Doing Silly Things For a Bus.
Here’s how it works.
1. You donate $25 or more.
2. Each time I reach a $100 milestone, I'll film myself doing a silly thing, upload it to YouTube, post it to Facebook and dedicate it to the people who sponsored the silly item. There are package deals available too if you happen to be a raging fan of silly things.
Some of things the silly items include...
- Ask a stranger in the supermarket if a box of cereal is ‘ripe’ - sold to Christina Butcher of Hair Romance and Glenda Hanks
- Eat a tin of spaghetti with my hands - sold to Lorraine Murphy and Renee Bug - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imVEMpRA1Uc
- Perform the Single Ladies Dance in public - sold to Sonia Styling and Paloma
- Have a conversation with someone entirely in spoken song lyrics - Sold to Janet Miller, Jen, Chris Lloyd and Cat Condi
- Have a tea party with a cat - sold to Kerrin
- Wear bread shoes in public - sold to Ben Hamey
- Fake a marriage proposal over the loud speaker at a department store
- Sing a loud song while waiting for my coffee. Sing until I get my coffee - sold to Kelly Nairne-Halliday, Christina Pink and Christina Wang
- Have a conversation with someone in a fake accent - Sold to Eva and Jess Hill
- Sing the national anthem on a tram with my hand over my heart -
- Approach a stranger on the street and ask them for an autograph, telling them I’m a huge fan of their work - Sold to Tim Mullaly and Suze Van Meegan
- Take a toy to the supermarket and treat it like a baby
- Put little animals in my hair and ask them questions while I order coffee - sold to Naomi Milthorpe and Liz from I Spy Plum Pie
- Buy something at a bakery and then hang around the door and ask other customers if they want to swap what they bought with me - sold to Madeleine Burke
- Do the grocery shopping while skipping - sold to Sarah, Sarah Von, Dominic Quach and Tahlia Meredith - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMDYl6HlpM
While wearing glasses, ask five people if they know where I left my glasses - sold to Martha
- Buy an ice cream cone. Ask the server if they believe in unicorns. Don’t wait for a reply, squish the cone on top of my head and gallop away - sold to Kate from Drop Dead Gorgeous Daily
- Wear a novelty moustache to get my morning coffee
- Recruit some strangers to do the hokey pokey with me - Sold to Kate Mck and Peter McKeand
- Go into a shop and warn everyone that there are flying gnomes coming
- Start dancing in the street, turn around and say ‘Oh shit. The flash mob is tomorrow.’ - sold to Bek Roberts
- Wear a sign saying ‘free hugs’ and give out free hugs - Vanessa Rowse
- Wear a onesie to get my coffee - sold to Laura Lannigan
- Wear a ketchup costume and offer sauce to people at sidewalk cafes
- Smash an egg on my head while yelling "food fight!" in the street - sold to Lorraine Elliot
- Hang a long piece of toilet paper down the back of my skirt and be genuinely surprised when someone points it out - sold to Chris Harrison
- Go shopping with my friend and pretend to be Siamese twins. Wear the same giant jumper and use one hand each to complete my shopping
- Repeat the same word over and over again until it loses all meaning
- Enthusiastically dance the Macarena in the street
- Have a picnic with food, drinks and several of my imaginary friends
- Dress as a snail and cross the road really slowly - sold to Bek Day (half)
- Go to a furniture store and climb inside each cupboard and announce after each - “Nope. This isn’t Narnia either.”
- Run into a pet shop and frantically ask if they have a gold fish first aid kit
- Do a dramatic death scene in public - sold to Sally Jacobs
- Let a boy do my make-up with out me helping him - sold to Nina Stanwell
- When traveling in an elevator gasp dramatically every time the door opens
Go to a library/bookshop. Open a book at random, yell "Eureka!" And run out (leaving the book) - sold to Niki and Kellie Blandon
- Order something in a cafe and end every sentence with ‘In accordance to the Prophecy...’ - sold to Anna Spargo-Ryan
- Wear a tin foil hat to a friends house and tell them you’re wearing it so that ‘It doesn’t steal my thoughts’
- Convince a stranger to give me something. Anything.
- Have dinner with a friend and talk only through a hand puppet
- Go up to a complete stranger, pretend I’ve known them for years and start asking them about their mum
- Talk loudly on a bluetooth head set and say things like ‘Look I’m paying you to do this. I need a room of dead cats by 5pm or you don’t get your $10,000.’
- Order a coffee with the clothes hanger still in the dress I’m wearing - sold to Karli Furmage, Emily Have a Laugh and Miss Lee
- Stage a dramatic break up with a light post
- Tie a jelly snake in a knot with my tongue - sold to Rhian Birnie, D, Riffing The Verse and Jenny Wallace
- Hide in a clothing rack in a shop and yell ‘boo’ at a passing customer
- Go into a piano shop and tell them I’m a concert pianist and I’d like to try their best piano - Sold to Stephanie Woodruff
- Push an egg along the pavement with my nose in public - sold to Bianca Wordly and Sara
- Add things to strangers' trolleys at the supermarket without them seeing me
- When I’m waiting at a crossing for the red man to turn green, adopt a sprinters pose and shriek ‘ready, set, go!’ and sprint across the road.
- Stand in front of the dinosaur bones at the Melbourne Museum dabbing my eyes with a tissue and asking passers by “It’s just SO sad, isn’t it?”
- Serenade a check out person at the supermarket
- Only do make-up on half of my face and go out in public
- Get money out of an ATM and yell "I won! Third time this week!"
- Go into a bar, ask the bartender "what year is this?" Wait for a reply then respond "it worked!"
- Have a whole conversation only in quotes from "Mean Girls"
- Attempt to skateboard
- Do the hokey pokey. Alone. A Capella.
- Do my grocery shopping as if I have no knees and can't bend my legs. At all.
- Go to a public library and ask loudly ‘Am I supposed to be quiet in here?’
- Make up my face using only items from my kitchen
- Have a friend throw a cream pie in my face
- Wear two different styles of shoes then go shoe shopping. Attempt to purchase two different types of shoes - sold to Anita Jones, Kelly Exeter and Hamera Baretta
I'm also open to premium item requests or business donations but keep it legal and not gross.
What we need:
A new bus will cost the school $50,000
How can I help?
I'm starting with a goal of $5000. For me to do every item on the list above, I need to raise about $6500. I really, really hope that happens because I'm dying to wear bread shoes in public.
Every dollar counts.
It takes 30 seconds to make a pledge and you'll forever have a video of me looking like an idiot. It's the gift that lasts a lifetime.
If you have a suggestion of a silly thing or you want to watch me embarrass myself repeatedly then let me know at these places:
Risks and challenges
There are no risks... except the silly thing you sponsor might be even sillier than you first thought. I'm pretty silly.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)