Mindful Classrooms: 5-Minute Daily Practices to Empower Teachers and Students.
It’s a mini curriculum. It’s a book. It’s a learning resource. It’s teacher training. It’s a transformative approach to providing much needed daily stress relief in schools. It’s empowering our teachers and students to help them realize they can be present, kind to themselves, and in control of their well-being.
Since fall 2015, Mindful Classrooms has been implemented in 50 schools and over 300 classrooms across Austin and Pflugerville, Texas and Wilmington, Delaware. With personalized training and weekly newsletters, Mindful Classrooms provides teachers and counselors with mindful mini-lessons that are easily incorporated into the daily curriculum.
Mindful Classrooms was created with my teacher mindset, keeping in mind the every day struggles of teaching. Cognizant of the stress that teachers are under to stick to a schedule, this program only requires 5 minutes per day. Activities are simple and do not requires additional tools because I know the majority of teachers are not familiar with mindfulness and are often intimidated by it. The program is easy to use because I know how it feels to be a teacher constantly bombarded with new projects, curriculums, and expectations from the higher ups. After using Mindful Classrooms for the past 7 years in my own classroom, I want to share this program with other educators. It has helped make me a markedly better teacher and has dramatically helped my students become more aware and self-empowered.
Mindful Classrooms incorporates 5 components of mindfulness: mindful stretching, mindful breathing, mindful listening, mindful seeing, and mindful eating. The daily lessons recommend mindful stretching and mindful breathing every day at a chosen time (first thing in the morning is optimal). The mindful listening and mindful seeing activities are recommended for transition times. Moving from activity to activity, or from place to place in the school, can be a stressful and challenging time. The simple activities provide opportunities for teachers and students to focus during those transitions. The mindful eating activities are recommended for portions of snack and/or lunchtime. Slowing down when we are eating, taking one bite at a time, and focusing on the food benefits overall health and digestion.
Through your kind donations to Mindful Classrooms, I’ll be able to…
- Publish the Mindful Classrooms book for teachers to access a year-long guide to the program
- Print classroom resources using the professional photographs I have of students doing different aspects of Mindful Classrooms such as…
- “How to” Posters (Mindful Stretching, Breathing, Listening, Seeing, & Eating)
- ABCs of Mindful Stretching Posters
- Mindful Stretching cards
- Mindful Listening & Seeing transition cards
- Provide teacher training resources
- Provide professional photographer, videographer, lawyer, and consultants with compensation for their expertise
- Travel budget to provide training at schools that are unable to afford to pay for transportation to their school
- Provide teacher trainings at schools who are unable to afford professional development
- Create an app that allows for easy to use Mindful Classrooms resources
- UPDATE! If stretch goal of extra $2,000 is met, then I will self-publish a mindfulness children's book I've written. The students at Sunset Valley Elementary School in Austin, TX will illustrate the book. The stretch money will go towards production costs of the book.
Risks and challenges
Book Publishing: I plan on self-publishing in order to ensure teachers can access it for the 2016-2017 school year.
Gift Delivery Delay: I am going to do my best to deliver gifts as quickly as possible, but I also realize that I'll be in the last month or two of school, so deliveries might be pushed back into June. I hope people understand the importance of being present with my current class of Pre-K students and that when summer rolls around, they will be my #1 priority with gift deliveries.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)