What is Honeycomb Cavern?
Honeycomb Cavern is a fast roll and write game for one or more players set in the universe of our intrepid explorer and treasure hunter Sadie Cat. The game should take under 5 minutes to play and is presented in a book format so it is easy to take with you and store on a shelf.
The game has players rolling dice, moving along a collapsing tiled room, collecting treasure, and avoiding fire from the dragon statues. From the first roll to the final roll, every decision is important to escaping with the most points or falling into the cavern below.
How do you play?
You'll first need to secure three six-sided dice. I've decided to leave physical dice out of the pledges so as to keep costs down for you. And if you're unable to secure three six-sided dice, there are many great free mobile apps that will do this for you.
Below you'll find the basics of gameplay:
- Start on the center hexagon and fill it in.
- Roll three six-sided dice
- Choose one to be the direction you move and the difference of the other two to be the distance that you move.
- When you move, draw a line from the starting hexagon to the ending hexagon. Fill in the ending hexagon.
- When you move, you may not cross over an existing line or filled in hexagon. You may also not end your movement on an existing line or filled in hexagon.
- JUMPING: A player is also given the ability to "jump" three times a game. When you jump, move in a straight line any direction two hexagons away. You may jump over an existing line or filled in hexagon. You may not end your jump on an existing line or filled in hexagon. Fill in the hexagon you end your jump on. Do not draw a line when jumping.
Interesting... may I try the game to see if I like it?
Of course! Below you will see a watermarked PnP sample page of the game board. All game boards in the book are the same as this one, just without the watermark. Make sure to check out the gameplay video above to learn how to play!
Access the Sample Board (White): Dropbox Link
What are the funds for?
At this number of book orders, I am able to secure a bulk printing discount that makes sense from both a production standpoint and keeping the cost as low as possible for you.
I had a hard time figuring out what would be a fun stretch goal for folks that would still be financially responsible on my part. A custom sticker of our intrepid heroine, I feel, is the right path to take!
For folks who order multiple physical books will get multiple stickers.
Risks and challenges
The biggest risks I've seen attached to projects like these are typically:
1. How will I know this will actually get made?
2. Will I even like the game?
How will I know this will actually get made?
Fortunately I've been able to go through the costs and get a few sample books made sent to my home. A 112 page book, taxes, KS fees, Amazon payment fees, production fees, and shipping to my home, is fully covered by the pledge amount, so no worries on production there!
Will I even like the game?
That's a great question and completely subjective to each player. I've played 100+ games already and still enjoy taking a break from my day to roll some dice, jump around Honeycomb Cavern, and try to beat my previous scores. You may also enjoy it or maybe you won't. Fortunately the videos and sample board to print out are available for you to try today! Check it out, give it a go, see if you and your friends like it.
- (20 days)