The project has been designed for gameplay over a historically accurate simulation. Naval combat is set in a Dieselpunk universe of technologies available during World War II. Weapons and countermeasures appear not found historically on the battlefield. You’ll see depth charges, remote control torpedoes, deployable nets and decoys. Multiplayer brings the unpredictable tactics of human opponents that a programmed AI cannot provide. Team up in the same ship and share manning the stations or control the ship all by yourself. With your ship established, join a group of ships and work together as a flotilla.
I’m a professional programmer with expertise in design and development processes. Range of professional projects have been embedded satellite software, sonar system mission planning and assorted web application. I'm new to game development. Have personally built www.oahupdq.com which is web app for building custom vacation itineraries.
We encourage you to try the tutorial missions at www.subchase.com
They will give you a feel for the game play. It's slower paced compared to shooters and side scrollers.
Initial Goal Single Player - $25,200
Finalize a Single player version of the game. We have 80% of the component pieces integration tested but needs more pieces to complete the game.
- Single player game of sub stalking a convoy.
- Convoy defended by Destroyers controlled by AI.
- Weapons include depth charges and straight running torpedos.
- Added Hydrophone station for detecting long range ships.
- Improved Graphical User Interfaces( GUI )
- Improved Ocean
- Improved sinking ship VFX
- Improved sinking ship sound effects
- Improved submarine ambient sound effects.
- Periscope VFX
Stretch Goal DieselPunk Weapons package - $31,600
Remote Control torpedo.
- Be able to guide special radio controlled torpedos.
- A control station for weapon
- Propeller sensor mini map.
- Reusable fence/net to snare torpedos.
- Control station for deploying and retrieving.
- Drivable/Static ?
- Mini map to show locations of fence/net
Stretch Goal MultiPlayer - $56,000
Choose to play as a submarine or a destroyer.
- Support multiple subs against multiple destroyers
- Lobby to meet and launch game.
- Playmode VIP – sub team to sink high value ship
- Playmode Convoy - try to stop the Convoy
- Playmode Pickup game – one can take over any Destroyer AI ship that is already in battle. No need to wait for players to join.
- Destroyer Navigation Station.
- Destroyer Depth Charge Management station.
- Mini map for convoy tracking.
Managing it all
Have seen software development methodologies come and go. I’m currently in favor of Scrum management for delivering incremental builds. I've been using a Scrum management tool for tracking tasks, deliveries, and defects. I’m a Certified ScrumMaster and have managed small teams to one man projects.
Will this happen?
It's in your hands. If this was PBS, we would be showing you Monty Python reruns. I have worked on this project 6 months part-time and 2 full-time after quitting a dreadful work environment. It's really tough to come home after a bad day at work and continue the project. I'm not convinced I can keep the steam up after going back to work full-time.
Thanks for checking out my project !
Risks and challenges
Path Finding: I have never written a path finding algorithm. I plan purchasing 3rd party Path Finding toolkits. This will require learning new software and possibly trying more than one. Schedule extra 1 week. Budget: $100
Performace: Performance is ok with our tutorials. I cannot predict how slow the final product will be. It may require finding the bottle necks in the system. I plan to purchase the PRO version of the game engine that has the performance tuning tools. Schedule extra 1 week. Budget: $3,000 for pro versions
Ocean: I cannot predict how realistic the PRO version’s water features are. Will need some experimentation. May need to purchase a 3rd party water toolkit. Schedule extra 2 day. Budget: $100, PRO: already accounted for.
Multiplayer Networking: I have not used the Networking feature of the game engine. I am not sure if the supplied feature is good enough or a 3rd party toolkit will be needed. Schedule extra 3 weeks. Budget: ???
Multiplayer Performance: Not sure of the final bandwidth of game. Need time to identify and resize the data sent across the net. Schedule extra 2 weeks.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)