Cabaggage is an insulated, ultra lightweight market bag that has loads of features to make your shopping experience better.
Protect and organize produce and grocery items with:
- Adjustable dividers that create compartments to keep fruits and veggies on the bottom of the bag secure
- A shelf that forms a second tier so more groceries can be placed on top without damaging those underneath
- Large mesh side pockets
The idea for the Cabaggage bag was born when I lived in Brooklyn, New York. After my daughter was born I was determined to buy more fresh ingredients at the grocery store and local farmers market only to return home to discover squished berries and other delicate items that were damaged and bruised due to contents shifting in my standard reusable bag. I knew there had to be a better way to get my food home safely.
How It Works
Cabaggage Features & Specs
- Durable, high quality construction holds its shape to support your products
- Ultra lightweight cotton canvas (exterior) and water/stain resistant fabric (interior and exterior bottom) for easy clean up of accidental spills
- Two moveable dividers to create three secure compartments
- An innovative shelf to protect items on the bottom from getting crushed with an opening for tall bottles
- Fully insulated to keep goods hot or cold on your trip home from the market or grocery store
- Large zippered side panel to accommodate an ice sheet
- Convenient mesh pockets to stash fruit or just about anything
- Zippered pocket to hold personal items
- Comfortable, expandable straps: lengthen for over the shoulder use (approx 27" fully expanded), or shorten to carry by hand (approx 8" at shortest)
- Dimensions: length 15" x width 6" x height 16"
How To Pack Cabaggage
Development Timeline & Manufacturing
When I lived in NYC it was inevitable that something I bought, whether it be bread or berries, would arrive home smashed inside the standard reusable grocery bags that I used. I wanted a bag that would protect all of my items in transit and also one with more comfortable straps. I couldn't find anything at all that met these qualifications so I decided to create my own bag. I started to look for help to make a few prototypes and investigated manufacturers, but little did I know I had only scratched the surface.
Soon after, our family moved to Los Angeles and I dedicated almost every spare minute of my free time to designing and creating this product. It grew into a huge passion of mine. I was determined to turn the idea into my dream bag, but I had no idea how challenging it would be to find a local manufacturer to produce the final product. I now understand why. Due to the amount of work and time commitment involved, it is a huge endeavor for most small shops to take on such a project in the early stages, especially when the first production runs can generate lower numbers and therefore lower revenue so it often doesn’t make it worthwhile. I can’t even count the number of shops I called who didn’t bother to return my calls.
Though I was 100% dedicated to finding a U.S. manufacturer, after contacting many and reaching critical stages with a few, in the end it was cost prohibitive to bring an affordable locally made product to market. Luckily I built a relationship with my current manufacturer who is located in the Midwest but has longstanding partnerships with manufacturing facilities in China. Not only do they have the most experience and professionalism of anyone I have worked with so far, but they also have manufacturing facilities in the U.S. and are fully committed to helping me to get my volumes up high enough to bring the manufacturing process back to the US one day soon.
Overall I have spent over three years experimenting with ten prototypes, searching for the right manufacturer, sourcing materials, attending numerous textile shows, and working through multiple phases to get the functionality right and I also completed a small test market of less than 200 units (during which I was fortunate enough to be featured in Real Simple Magazine, Steamy Kitchen, and Kitchn.)
The planning for production, materials, packaging, distribution and every last detail is complete. This is where your help comes in.
Special Thanks To:
- All of my family & friends who have helped support me in this project over the last three years.
- Logo design: Robin Lenowitz
- Stiches: Amy Ellsworth
- Video: Sebastian Baron
- Photography: Summer Evans
- Sarasota Filmakers: DeAnna & Greg Greenhaw
- Campbell Cabinetry Designs in Sarasota for use of their beautiful kitchen shown in the video
- SCORE of Greater Los Angeles: William Waskey & Robert O'Brien
- Fashion Business Incorporated Frances Harder & Adrianne Laurita
- Real Simple Magazine, Steamy Kitchen & The Kitchn
Risks and challenges
There are always risks and challenges that come with any new product launch especially in the areas of manufacturing and fulfillment. However, I have established a strong relationship with my manufacturer and we have been working together for almost a year to plan every detail of putting the bags into production.
Timing is also a risk and we will do everything we can to get the market bags delivered as quickly as possible, but there are always events outside of our control such as inclement weather, etc. that could delay shipping.
I have already submitted the order for the bags for this project for the first color (Huckleberry Blue) and my manufacturer is ready to go as soon as I give them the green light. We will do everything we can to ensure we provide you with a 100% quality and timely product. Should anything go wrong, our manufacturer has relationships with two other factories overseas in addition to their own facility here in the US. Though we shouldn’t need to go to plan B, rest assured I have plenty of back up plans! I have done as much planning and sampling work as possible to prepare for this production to avoid possible delays.
Last but not least, this is my first Kickstarter project, but it is not the first for my manufacturer. Not only do they have other clients who have had successful projects and they have been been through the process, but they are also a trusted manufacturer for many big box stores. I am fortunate to have a built in team who already has experience with pretty much any challenge that may come my way.
Please be assured that this bag has been a dream of mine for a long time and I am 100% committed to bringing this product to market with the highest quality standards while keeping it as affordable as possible for my future customers.
I will keep open and honest communication with all my backers. Thank you so much for your support!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (24 days)