About this project
The First All in One ESP8266 Programmer!
ABOUT THIS PROJECT
The ESP8266 ESP-01 programmer is an all in one programmer/debugger/prototyping tool designed to help get you going quickly with the ESP8266 family of WiFi microprocessors. With the success of the ESP8266 family of microprocessors in the hobby world and no all-in-one programmer on the market that we could find we decided to fill the gap. The ESP8266 programmer has a 5VDC to 3.3VDC power supply on-board so no external supply is needed. For those of you that don't want to power the programmer off USB we have also put DC input pins on the Programmer so you can supply it with an external supply. The ESP8266 also has a built in USB to Serial adapter and support for automatically putting the ESP into program mode. This makes the ESP8266 programmer capable of running 100% off USB. If you don't like automatic mode, that's fine too! Simply move the programming jumper to the manual position and it's on in manual mode forcing it into program mode on every boot. Remove the jumper completely and you disable programming mode for debugging or running your code. We have every option covered! We also find that many dev kits have very weak USB Micro connectors on them that break easily so we put a very stiff high end USB Mini connector on the board made by Samtec. Instead of buying a cheap connector we went with the best one we could find. The Programmer also has all the pins of the ESP8266 ESP-01 module broken out on a 0.1" breadboard footprint (.6" apart to be exact) so you can add your own header pins and plug it right into a breadboard for prototyping. This allows you to do all your prototyping and development all with one little board. (Header Pins sold separately and not included!)
As they say necessity is the mother of all invention. Recently married, our president decided to make custom center pieces for his wedding. Check out our video for a glimpse of one of the center pieces. Each center piece (15 in total) had an ESP8266 ESP-01 module controlling them. Programming them was a nightmare with current means. Even the programmers we found out required an external power supply, FTDI USB-Serial adapter, and a breakout board for the ESP8266. This made for a very complicated and fragile setup. The ESP-8266 Programmer was designed to simplify this project.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
The ESP8266 ESP-01 Programmer works with Macintosh, Linux, and Windows computes. It works in both the Arduino and LUA development environments. As long as you have the latest FTDI drivers the ESP Programmer is a simple plug and play device. The Arduino environment uses one of many preexisting ESP8266 drivers your already using with the ESP8266 ESP-01 modules. With an on-board power supply and auto reset for programming you simply plug in your ESP8266 ESP-01 module and a USB MINI cable and your good to go. You can program multiple ESP modules quickly and with ease.
A BIG THANK YOU!
If you made it this far you are probably pretty interested in the DomCo Electronics ESP8266 ESP-01 Programmer. Thank You for looking into our product. Click on the reward tier on the right that you are interested in.
- $5 - A big thank you for helping make this product become a reality! We have big plans for the programmer and your contribution helps get us not only funded but into Hobby sites and helps us expose the programmers to a larger audience.
- $10 - BARE BOARD PCB So you want to see us succeed and you are a hard core hobbyist interested in building your own. Maybe your a hacker and you want to modify the programmer for your needs. That is fine too! We have a tier to cover you. For this tier you get just a Bare PCB and a bill of materials to buy everything you need from an electronics parts distributor. No parts are included.
- $25 - EARLY BIRD SPECIAL You get an ESP8266 ESP-01 Programmer at a steal! You are the early bird and you know what they say about the early bird. Congratulations! and Thank You for being the early adopter and having the vision to see the potential of our product. Simply provide your own ESP8266 ESP-01 module and you are good to go. We'll even make sure yours are the first to go out the door too!
- $30 - THE REGULAR DEAL You get an ESP8266 ESP-01 Programmer at the regular retail price. Simply provide your own ESP8266 ESP-01 module and your good to go.
- $35 - THE COMBO DEAL You get an ESP8266 ESP-01 Programmer at the regular retail price and we will throw in an ESP8266 ESP-01 module so if your new to the ESP8266 family of microprocessors this is the best way to get into it. Everything you need to get started. The ultimate deal is also good for someone that wants an extra ESP8266. Choosing this tier save you a buck or two from sourcing them separately.
- $40 - THE ULTIMATE DEAL! You get one complete ESP-8266 programmer, assembled, and tested. Plus we will throw in three ESP8266 ESP-01 modules. Everything you need to get started with the ESP8266 ESP-01 and start developing your first IoT device. Once you start programming the ESP8266 you'll come up with tons of projects and trust me you'll find a need for more then one.
Risks and challenges
Like all projects there are risks and challenges. However, we have done everything we can to minimize them. We have been testing the ESP8266 programmer for 4 months in the hands of multiple developers who have programmed hundreds of ESP modules on them. We already have a working relationship with a CM(contract manufacture) for other boards we design and produce. The CM is very eager to start producing ESP Programmers for us. We have even built a test fixture for the programmer. To ensure quality control, every PCB that rolls off the assembly line will get a full functional test! We also have produced tens of thousands of PCB's over the years and have a history of success and experience in our team.
The only two challenges we currently anticipate are lead time for parts as the CM spins up production and funding. With your help we can get over the funding issue. As for lead times currently our CM tells us the part lead times are currently 8-12 weeks with a 1 week production time for the quantities we want to produce. With that said we should be able to ship boards approximately 3 - 4 months after the kickstart campaign successfully funds. All of our reward ties are based on a 3 month lead time.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)