In 2011, we made a movie called Surrogate Valentine. Much to our surprise, it was accepted to the 2011 SXSW Film Festival, and we toured the country bringing the movie to good folks all over the place in almost 30 cities over 9 months -- Cleveland, Dallas, San Francisco, Honolulu, New York City, San Diego, Seattle -- all the while selling DVDs at screenings and through Amazon.
We decided that the story had to continue, and in August of last year we filmed a sequel, Daylight Savings. As luck would have it, we're fortunate to have been invited to premiere our film at the 2012 SXSW Film Festival.
Now, we want to continue the journey and bring it to theaters and film festivals one city at a time. But we can't do it without your help.
To show our appreciation to all our supporters, we're doing something a little bit different this time. Instead of selling the DVD online, it will be available exclusively as a Kickstarter reward for our contributors--and it's a steal at only $15 (for digital only) or $20 (for a DVD).
Our collaboration on these films has been a great creative experience, but it means nothing without our loyal audience--you mean everything to us! The best news is...the story hasn't ended yet! Once we hit the road with Daylight Savings, there's no telling what crazy ideas we'll come up with for a third installment...
See you on the road!
San Francisco musician Goh Nakamura (playing himself) is barely scraping by playing live gigs and teaching guitar. So when a filmmaker friend asks him to teach guitar lessons to TV star Danny Turner (Chadd Stoops) for his upcoming movie role, Goh jumps at the chance.
San Francisco musician Goh Nakamura (playing himself) is at the height of his career. With a national tour on the horizon and one of his songs being featured in a widely-seen TV commercial, Goh has the life he always wanted. But when an unexpected breakup occurs, a lost and devastated Goh forces himself to leave it all behind and hit the road with his irresponsible cousin to pursue a promising rebound with fellow musician Yea-Ming Chen (playing herself). This pseudo–sequel to the 2011 SXSW hit "Surrogate Valentine" stands on its own as a completely new adventure.
Recent Reviews of Daylight Savings
- Variety: Daylight Savings (March 13, 2012)
- The Moveable Fest: Goh Nakamura and Dave Boyle Spring Ahead with "Daylight Savings" (March 11, 2012)
- Filmmaker Magazine: Five Questions with DAYLIGHT SAVINGS Director Dave Boyle (March 10, 2012)
- Twitch: SXSW 2012 Review: DAYLIGHT SAVINGS, More Low-Key, Charming Romantic Adventures (March 10, 2012)
- Lost in Reviews: An Interview with Daylight Savings Director Dave Boyle (March 8, 2012)
- Dig In Magazine: Interview with Director Dave Boyle
- Billboard: Goh Nakamura-Starring Film 'Daylight Savings' One of 74 To Premiere at SXSW (March 6, 2012)
- DP/30: Daylight Savings, co-writer/director Dave Boyle, actor/co-writer Goh Nakamura (March 5, 2012)
This Year's Tour (Daylight Savings)
- SXSW Film Festival 2012
- SFIAAFF 2012
- Chicago 17th Annual Asian American Showcase
- Cleveland International Film Festival 2012
- a number of yet-to-be-announced locations near you!
Last Year's Tour (Surrogate Valentine)
- SXSW Film Festival 2011
- SFIAAFF 2011
- Chicago 16th Annual Asian American Showcase
- Cleveland International Film Festival 2011
- Dallas International Film Festival 2011
- Sarasota Film Festival
- Miami Borscht Film Festival
- DisOrient Film Festival
- Lighthouse International Film Festival
- Seattle International Film Festival
- Sound Unseen International Duluth
- The Roxie Theater
- Woods Hole Film Festival
- Salt Lake City Film Festival
- Brewvies Cinema Pub
- Los Angeles Premiere + Goh Nakamura Live!
- POP Montreal Film Festival
- reRun Gastropub Theater
- Surrogate Valentine Tucson Premiere & Goh Nakamura Live in Concert!
- DC APA Film Festival
- Hawaii International Film Festival
- San Diego Asian Film Festival
- Philadelphia Film Festival
- Vancouver Asian Film Festival
- Starz Denver Film Festival
- Toronto Reel Asian International Film Festival
Songs and Sounds from 2011's Surrogate Valentine Festival Tour
- (30 days)