June 15th 2011
Here are the eight variations of the bridge bugs. When we set out to do the bridge scene, we considered doing the masses of bugs digitally. It is standard practice these days but... I don't know, it just didn't feel real to do it that way. So Steve made molds and we took turns casting these critters at the rate of eight every 30 minutes, everyone pitched in, I have fond memories of a very cold studio in December and the egg timer going off a couple times an hour.
Each of these was painted by Steve, you could say he is a perfectionist, insane or both. Either way, we needed to have enough bugs to create a moving stream at least ten seconds long and this is how we got there. The decision to make them all for real added six weeks of work, but they are beautiful and genuine things. From the other photo you can see how they were mounted on round carts in groupings of two or three, then those carts were connected together with springs. I labeled each of the bugs, if there's a specific one you would like, drop me a note in the next month or so.
Also while I have you on the line... thanks to the additional pledges raised here we're going to be building a couple new scenes that I had cut out previously for lack of funds. We've done great! The extra attention has also caught the fancies of publishers so the book may find a home in the near future.
Because of the kickstarter project here, I've met all kinds of new folks stopping by, offering help, or just saying hi. That is really good energy, please keep it coming!
I'll post pictures of the new set coming up next week! exciting stuff!