About this project
What is this?
Sunken City is a comedy web series made in New Orleans. Inspired by the city's one-of-a-kind characters, the show unlocks a hidden world of crust punks, old money aristocrats, wide-eyed transplants, pirate people and countless other schemers and dreamers - all fighting to leave their mark on a new and shifting New Orleans.
We have created a pilot episode, and are asking for your help to raise the $10,000 needed to produce the first season of the series (set for release in Oct 2013).
Why should I fund this?
We believe we can make one of the funniest shows on the internet - one with solid writing, high production value, and a portrayal of New Orleans rarely seen on TV and film. We believe we can do this all with local talent. So, dear holder-of-five-dollars, understand two things: 1.) We are making a great comedy. 2.) We are highlighting the talent pool in New Orleans. If you are into either of those things, help us raise what we need to make our first season.
Your contribution enables us to pay for the props, costumes, equipment, locations, and the crew we need to shoot a full season (6 episodes) at the scope and production value exhibited in the pilot.
Who is making this?
Sunken City was created by CJ Hunt and Kyle June Williams. After college, CJ moved to New Orleans to teach middle school. He fell in love with the city and stayed to teach improv to kids and help found The New Movement (a comedy theater with locations in New Orleans and Austin). His affection for the city is rivaled by that of his co-creator Kyle. Kyle moved down from New York to do a summer of theater and get away from the grind. Kyle had forgotten what friendliness was like. NOLA showed her what that was again, and so she stayed to continue pursuing her acting and comedy career. Born and raised in Louisiana, director Jonathan Evans moved to New Orleans in college to study film. The team has cast the series primarily out of their alma mater, The New Movement - NOLA. Sunken City grows directly out of a rich community of comedians and actors dedicated to turning New Orleans into the next great comedy city.
What happens if we make our goal?
If we make our goal, we will be able to complete filming of the full season by the end of August, and begin airing the 6-episode season in October of 2013. If we exceed our goal, we will shift additional funds toward promoting the series nationally (ie: submission fees to comedy short and web series competitions and festivals).
Here is some info about some of the things we reference in our rewards section:
• The Megaphone Show: This is an improv show offered at The New Movement. A local celebrity/mover-n-shaker tells true life stories, and a team of all-star improvisors use these stories to inspire an hour-long improv show.
• Hell Yes Fest: This is a badass comedy invitational taking place in New Orleans every November.
• Improv Workshops: Nothing bonds a group of people better than having to create a show together out of thin air. CJ makes a living leading these for companies and students. This reward is limited to anyone within a 2-hour driving distance from New Orleans. If you are farther away than that, we can still offer this to you, however this would depend on you being able to cover or help mitigate the cost of traveling to you. More info on kids workshops and adult workshops here.
• Walk-On Roles: With such short episodes, we can't promise you a big role. This role may be a just cashier who delivers one line or a waiter who walks by, picks up an empty plate, and nods and smiles in a way that silently communicates 'thank you' and 'go-screw-yourself'. Point is: this won't and can't be anything big; it will just be a cool chance to hang out on set and have your face appear in a show you are helping to make. In order to claim this, you must be able to make one of our shooting dates this July - August.
• Hosting Your Event: Kyle and CJ make great hosts/MCs. At this time we can only offer this to events held within a 2-hour drive of New Orleans. We reserve the right to refuse events that:
A.) We find politically divisive (Pro-life/Pro-choice rally) B.) We find to be against our beliefs as a show (Free Guns for Everyone Give-Away Day)
C.) We find dangerous (White Power Mixer and Dance-a-thon)
If this applies to your event, then we will simply work to find another event that we can host for you.
• Sunken City Live Sketch Show: After the season is shot and released, we will begin work on a Sunken City Live! Sketch Show. We will take this show on the road as we tour the web series to various festivals between the winter and summer of 2014. If you claim this reward, you can book an exclusive performance of this show (provided you are in the US). This will be awesome, but you will have to be patient; this is last on our list of priorities in making a web series. If you'd like to reserve a booking without purchasing this reward, holler at us at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Private Dinner: This will be exactly what it sounds like. However, be warned: if you try to get handsy with us or invite us upstairs to "watch a DVD," so-help-you-god, we will punch your face off.
Risks and challenges
This is a big project; we are attempting to show new sides of New Orleans, in a format that features authentic locations and prominent New Orleanians, with a story-telling style that requires three times the work of a traditional show. The risk of production setbacks comes with the territory. However, because of our experience in film and theater, we are used to promising a product and delivering it on time. We will set an air date, and do whatever is needed to meet it.
There are New Orleanians who will dislike this show. Some will dislike that we are poking fun at the city they love. Others will simply want more out of the show: more accents, more locations, more of what it doesn't yet have. These critiques come with the territory given the scarcity of shows like ours. All of these comments - the trolls and the fanboys - will force us to get better with every episode.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (30 days)