(to get your party tickets and CD, press the green "Back this Project" button on the top right and pledge at least $25)
see who is going: Facebook event page
Hello VO5 Fans and Lovers,
Making an album and music videos is not easy-- we've been talking about it for 10 years! Recently, we've been very busy with recording new songs between all our live shows and now could use your support to complete the project and throw a huge dance party.
WHAT IS OUR KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN? Kickstarter is a way for our fans to purchase our album and dance party tickets in advance which will in turn help to finance music videos and cover manufacturing costs. In a way, our fans become our record label.
Our dream is that you help us cover the many costs and celebrate with us at our October 24th glitter-gala & costume event:
Pressing CDs: $2000 + Pressing Vinyl: $2000 + 10 music videos: $5000 + Radio/Press Mail Promotion: $500 + Party Food & Supplies: $500 TOTAL: $10,000
HERE IS A SAMPLING OF ALL THE NEW SONGS
We have lots of work yet to do. In the coming weeks we will be hard at work putting the final touches on songs and artwork, sending them to the CD replication plants and vinyl presses, creating lots of promotional materials and making 10 music videos (that's how we'll reach the whole world, after all). And filming great low-budget music videos is still expensive!
Here's the first music video we made which won an award on votd.tv: DANCE ORIGINALITY Help us make more!
Our main incentive premium for our supporters (other than a CD or vinyl album) is a ticket to the fancy dance party the weekend before Halloween with VO5 and special guests performing for you.
Yes, to celebrate the band's 10th Anniversary (over 300 performances) and release of the album titled "Dance Originality" we are hosting a gala event at the High Noon Saloon on October 24th. It will be a grand disco ball, with suggested vintage formal wear or funky costumes for all.
Take out a loved one as a 70's prom date or dust off your gorilla suit. It doesn't matter. We just want you there, dancing and mingling with like-minded disco lovers. We'll play both 70's covers and our originals and have a few guest surprises.
Still Not Convinced? Watch the entire Dr. Disco Tyska's, "Save the Disco Creatures" Telethon
If we go above the $10,000 Kickstarter goal (thank you disco philanthropists!), what will we do with the extra dough?
1) upgrade our worn disco shoes
2) hire professional organizers to organize our disco closets
3) 70’s tuxes!
4) Limousines, red carpet and more food for the party
5) make even better music videos (and pay the videographers, voice talent, editors, dancers and musicians a fair wage!)
We have some great incentives for you, for example:
For $25 you get a ticket to the party and a CD. These are going to go very fast.
For $35, just $10 more, you also get a limited edition vinyl copy of the album. If you don’t own a record player, we’re sure you know somebody who does, and Christmas is just around the corner!
If you can’t attend the event, $5 gets you a digital download link, while $10 gets you a CD.
We truly appreciate any help with this project. For those who REALLY love VO5 and can afford to give more, we have some extra special incentives to check out.
* (BTW: by "naked" we mean "wigless" photo of the band)
Check out the many other sweet premiums to the right---->
Dance Originality Album Budget:
- 10 years of learning chops from the disco greats: no charge
- 2 months composing songs: no charge
- 6 months recording songs: pro bono @ Subfloral Sound
- 2 months mixing and mastering: pro bono by John Feith
- 10 months of beer and whiskey: supplied by studio
- Cover art design: pro bono by Kelly Maxwell and John Feith
- Pressing CDs: $2000
- Pressing Vinyl: $2000
- 10 music videos: $5000
- Radio/Press Mail Promotion: $500
- Party Food & Supplies: $500
Thanks again, and see you on the dance floor!
Risks and challenges
- All tracks are strongly influenced by 70’s music, especially disco, and many offer an international flavor with a Latin, jazzy twist. Many people hate this kind of dance music.
- As people get old they tend to stop learning to love new music and prefer, for example, only tried-and-true disco oldies.
- CDs killed cassettes. MP3s killed CDs. Spotify is killing MP3s and any chance of making a living selling music. Videos killed the radio star but created the youtube star. Our only chance is video!
- We have already spent countless hours recording and mixing, but another main challenge will be getting CD's and Vinyl on time after we order them.
- The requested $5000 for making 10 music videos is extremely low budget, and we'll have to rely a lot on friends and our own skills and resources. Ideally, fans will go above the requested amount, as we'd like to pay friends involved in making videos as much as possible.
- Coordinating video shoots with lots of people is very time-consuming.
ALBUM & KICKSTARTER CREDITS:
Catherine Capellaro: trumpet, French horn & vocals
Gail Campbell: drums
John Feith: guitar, synth & vocals
Kelly Maxwell: vocals
Andrew Rohn: keyboards & vocals
Drew Szabo: bass & spoken haiku
Steve Tyska: trumpets & vocals
Marcy Weiland: keytar & vocals
Jim Yockey: percussion & vocals
Additional horns and flute by Phil Lyons, Clay Lyons, Jim Shropshire and Rafael Arce
VO5 Logo by Kelly Maxwell
Art Design by John Feith
Produced and engineered by John Feith at Subfloral Sound
Vintage VO5 Photos by Nick Berard, Tona Williams, Angela Richardson, Emily Mills, John Feith, Heidi Johnson, David Michael Miller and Jennifer Green.
Kickstarter Videos by Ben Riser and John Feith
Voice Talent: Jason Stephens Attenborough
Support this project
- (32 days)