There's a hidden treasure on this island, and you and your fellow explorers must work together to find it. But who can you trust? Read more
Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on September 27, 2012.
About this project
I'm sure you've noticed we are not on track to hit our $10,000 funding target by October 6. As you know, this Kickstarter campaign has had two goals: 1) game testing of the 1st Edition, and 2) raising money for the 2nd Edition. Based on feedback from many of you, I think we have been trying to accomplish too much by focusing on both goals at the same time. So, we have a new plan.
This Kickstarter campaign has been cancelled, and we have STARTED A NEW CAMPAIGN TO GIVE AWAY THE 1ST EDITION OF MARAUDERS FOR FREE (BACKERS PAY SHIPPING ONLY: $15 US, $25 INTERNATIONAL). THIS MEANS MOST OF YOU WILL BE ABLE TO REDUCE YOUR PLEDGE AMOUNT ON THE NEW CAMPAIGN AND RECEIVE THE SAME REWARD. I'm hoping that by refocusing the campaign on game testing only, and making the game free, more people will ultimately back the project, resulting in more game testers, which is my #1 priority right now (even more of a priority than raising money for the 2nd Edition). I really need massive player feedback to take this game to the next level.
THE NEW CAMPAIGN WILL ONLY RUN FOR 15 DAYS SO I CAN KEEP MY COMMITMENT TO ALL OF YOU TO SHIP YOUR GAMES BY MID-OCTOBER. And, since the 1st Edition games are already manufactured,there is essentially no funding target we need to hit for the new campaign; IF YOU SIGN UP FOR A GAME, THERE IS A 100% CHANCE YOU WILL GET ONE. For those unfamiliar with Kickstarter, when I cancel this current campaign, YOUR CURRENT PLEDGE ON THIS CAMPAIGN WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE CANCELED. YOU NEED TO GO TO THE NEW CAMPAIGN SITE AND RE-PLEDGE FOR THE FREE 1st EDITION GAMES.
Go to the new campaign here.
As with the current campaign, I need you to play the game and give me feedback. In a couple of months, after I've had the chance to review the feedback, I will start on new Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for the 2nd Edition. I think this overall approach gives us a much better chance of hitting our funding goals in the long run.
It feels awesome to have had so many people back my project so far. I have visions of this game becoming a huge success, so I REALLY APPRECIATE AND NEED THE SUPPORT FROM EACH ONE OF YOU! PLEASE STICK WITH ME ON THE NEW CAMPAIGN! This is such an awesome game, I've put so much energy into this over the past 2 years, I can hardly wait for everyone to start playing it!
HELLO BOARD GAMERS!
We recently self-published the 1st Edition of "Marauders", an adventure-strategy game that will appeal to those who enjoy games like Settlers of Catan, Risk, Battleship and Clue. If any of you have ever invented a board game, you know the long journey we've been on. Now we need your help making this the absolute best pirate themed board game ever.
BRIEF GAME OVERVIEW
In the game, you and your opponents have just arrived on a distant island, filled with valuable treasure. Each of you are in search of an ancient artifact, rumored to be buried somewhere on the island, and worth more than all the other treasure combined. Your task is to collect the land's resources and work with other players to open treasure chests, collect jewels, and unlock the clues that reveal the location of the artifact. Trouble is, only one player can win, and treachery, deceit and dead ends are behind every corner!
Download a PDF version of the full Rule Book.
Marauders can be played by 2, 3 or 4 Players. 3 or 4 Players are recommended.
What makes this game unique:
- Simple game mechanics, but complex and fun decision making.
- The game area is completely customizable every time you play. No two games are ever alike.
- There is no "point system". The game is simply won by the first player to find and recover the artifact.
- Everyone is in it until the end! No one is eliminated. Everyone has a chance at winning until the absolute last turn!
- A unique trading mechanism forces players to form and dissolve partnerships and alliances throughout the game, ensuring you never really know who you can trust. (The partnerships and alliances work especially well in 3 and 4 player games).
- Relatively short game play: 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Intense! Intense! Intense! Even you'll be surprised at what you are willing to do to win. (As one player writes, "If you have any extremely competitive people who carry grudges...do not play this game with them.")
SAMPLE PLAYER COMMENTS
(Gathered from emails from 1st Edition game testers over the past several months.)
"We introduced this game at our family reunion a few weeks ago...we played 7 times in the first night!!! Here's a picture of what we all looked like in the morning."
"I wanted you to know that we played Marauders this weekend. Andrew was here. He is a big gamer and plays all those award winners from Germany. I am glad we have your game! We voted to play it again, and will! (Although I don't think Abby will ever be trusted again to form an alliance with.)"
"Finally, a really fun pirate game that makes you feel like a pirate!"
"The Marauders cards are a brilliant addition, it really keeps you on your toes, I've never seen a concept like that. Really fun, and really nerve racking."
"I loved how the game forces you to interact with other players. You're constantly deciding whether to be someone's friend or enemy, and you know they are thinking the same thing. You can never be 100% confident what someone else is going to do, and that keeps things really interesting."
"Okay, so we played the game last week. I think the best part of the game is how you can't predict the winner. So many times I play a game and you know who's won in the first five minutes, but not in this game. It came down to the very last move! We've played 3 times since then, and every time it comes down to the wire. Very cool game design."
"Settlers of Catan is quietly collecting dust on the shelf. This is our new go to game!"
"Gold, silver, diamonds, rubies, hidden treasure, secrets, lying, cheating, stealing...what's not to like about this game???"
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
We started designing the game two years ago. After a lot of testing with people in our own network, and a lot of positive feedback, we decided to go ahead with a limited print run of the 1st Edition. This first edition includes all the prototype artwork and game pieces. Now we need you to test the game, give us feedback, and Pledge a donation so we can fund a larger, and even better, print run of the 2nd Edition!
- Pledge $25, and we will send you a copy of the 1st Edition as soon as funding closes on October 7. There are only 1,000 total copies. This 1st Edition will only be available exclusively through this Kickstarter campaign! Play the game, send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org, and help us create the best game ever!
- Pledge $50 or more, and we will also send you copies of the 2nd Edition once it is completed! We are on a tight timeline...1st Edition games go out in October, we need all feedback by the end of December, and the 2nd Edition will be in print by April.
- Shipping is free in US! International orders: add $15 to any rewards category that is $50 or less, and $25 for any reward category greater than $50. Alternatively, if you just want 1 copy of the 1st Edition, choose Reward #3 for $35...this includes free international shipping.
- Changes in the 2nd Edition will include: Rule adjustments based on player feedback from the 1st Edition (this is the most important goal of this Kickstarter campaign, we want to know how you, the players, want the game to play); new game components (we've already had requests to add some challenging new resource cards, like a dam to block the rivers); changes in game materials to improve quality and game play (maybe more wood pieces or plastic jewels instead of playing cards?); and more customized artwork.
- $10,000 is the minimum we need to proceed with the 2nd Edition, but we hope to raise much more. If we pass our $10,000 goal, we'll also be able to order higher quantities which will lower our cost per unit and open up the possibility of other distribution channels! Additional funding will also help us get in the major Toy & Game trade shows in Chicago and New York, which start up in April. We'll add some exciting stretch goals once we pass the $10,000 mark!
- (Don't forget Christmas is coming...pledge more money and receive extra 1st Edition copies for your friends and relatives, plus a cool Marauders CD filled with pirate music you can listen to while playing the game!)
Update 1 (Sep 7): Thanks everyone! We raised $1,000 in the first 24 hours, and that's before we've even had a chance to really push the site! This weekend, we'll give the campaign a big push. Also, next week we'll be added to the boardgamegeek.com database, which should give us another boost. The Early Bird $20 Reward is almost out, so we've added fifty $25 rewards. Get those before they are gone! A special thanks to premium backers in the $40, $50 and even $100 range! Let's keep going!
IMAGES & MORE
Photos below, including pictures of the 1st Edition, which is also featured in the video. Please spread the word and visit our website www.maraudersgame.com. Thank you all for your support!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (30 days)