Share this project

Done

Share this project

Done
The world's first underwater Stealth/Trivia cheat-'em-up!
989 backers pledged $31,315 to help bring this project to life.

Refreshing Sea Breeze

Posted by Sunken Places (Creator)
6 likes

Hey there all you outrageous oysters! Remy here, making a pearl of an update about Classroom Aquatic!

The game is looking and sounding great! The environments, characters, and music are all prettier than a pufferfish wearing Prada. We have a few more things to add and a couple of crabs to boil, but we are in the home stretch of our Classroom Aquatic asset creation marathon.

Our problems (and delays) involve the game’s coding. It's kind of like a chair made out of sea urchins: technically you can sit in it, but it rarely works the way it’s supposed to. Because the other aspects of the game are so close to completion, we’ve been reluctant to mess with the programming. But it's proven too prickly to make any progress on, and any changes we make break five other things: even though the code is 90% there, the remaining 10% can’t be put on top the existing foundation without toppling everything over. And so, for your safety and the safety of the entire planet, we will press the reset button and redo some coding. This was not an easy decision to make, but we believe it’s the best path forward.

Because we have plenty of documents, designs and demos to reference, this shouldn’t take long. Much like the dolphins we love and cherish, Classroom Aquatic is pretty streamlined. And a new programmer has joined the Sunken Places team to help us turbot charge this process. Let’s take a look-sea into what we’ve (re)done so far:

First, we have a new path-finding system! With it, we can auto-generate grids that allow for dynamic pathways, both in 2D and 3D.

Professor Porpoise can now go wherever he wants, however he wants! Sadly, he’s still too portly to swim.
Professor Porpoise can now go wherever he wants, however he wants! Sadly, he’s still too portly to swim.

Next, we’ve also made some changes to your classmates--now they now can actually see you cheating! We’ve given all your classmates cones of vision, along with a new procedural animation toolkit.

Man, dolphins really love that floating red ball…
Man, dolphins really love that floating red ball…

And if you’re the kind of person who likes to look under the hood of a car before buying it, you’ll be excited to hear that we’ve streamlined the back-end into a state-of-the-art state machine! And just like a car sinking straight down into the bottomless ocean depths, the game runs a lot smoother without any bumps or crashing!

Our programmer tells me those lines are where the 1’s and 0’s slide through to the boxes and do computer science, and I’m satisfied with that explanation.
Our programmer tells me those lines are where the 1’s and 0’s slide through to the boxes and do computer science, and I’m satisfied with that explanation.

We’ve got a lot more stuff finished up as well--heck, we’ve finished some stuff while we’ve been talking! And since progress is now progressing in a way where we have more positive things to show, we’ll be reporting on it more often now that we’ve caught this nice wave. If you have any questions or comments, you can message us on Kickstarter and we can help you out any way we can!

That’s all for now! ‘til next time, remember that while seagulls will steal your french fries at the beach, they’ll never try to steal your raw potatoes.

Emanuel Mineda Carneiro, Zi Li, and 4 more people like this update.

Comments

Only backers can post comments. Log In
    1. Eric Chon on

      I completely forgot I backed this game. But now that I remember, I am excited all over again :)

    2. Missing avatar

      Kirk Morger on

      Thank you for such a detailed update!