About this project
UPDATE: Lets build a GreenHaus.
STRETCH REWARDS UNLOCKED!
Custom 1 Liter Oktoberfest Stein + Entrance to Schwandtoberfest: Backers who choose this reward will receive a GIANT Branded Stein. It will be smash proof and drop proof, made of acrylic so that you can bring it along to Schwandtoberfest and make all of the other revelers jealous of your big beer. If you've already secured your entrance to Schwandtoberfest, you can use "manage my pledge" to select this new reward. Just want the Stein? Send us a message and let us know!
Custom Denim LederHosen + Giant 1 Liter Stein + Entrance to Schwandtoberfest: It's one thing to come to Schwandtoberfest with your own giant stein. It's quite another to arrive in style. Men and women alike will look amazing and feel like the lords of Schwandtoberfest in their hand-made Denim Lederhosen. There are 6 of these available. You heard...6. Get them while they're hot!!
'Hosen Boys' Tee: We have unlocked the tee! Get your very own by claiming this reward or adding $25 to your existing pledge! It's the shirt of the summer!
We are blown away by the support you have shown us, and not just for donating your hard-earned cash – your sharing, your tweeting and your appreciation for the subtle art that is a Morgan Freeman impersonation. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Now comes the REAL fun! We mentioned earlier that we've got some great stretch goals in mind, but we also want to hear from you. The more we raise, the more amazingly awesome ideas we can bring to life! So keep commenting, sharing, brainstorming, and tell us what you've got! Think community, togetherness and things that would make you want to share a toast, to all that's good in life!
Our stretch goal $50,000:
Convert our biergarten/patio into a "greenhaus" so that we can enjoy it all year round – polar vortex, be damned!
In addition to this, we'll be releasing some extra special rewards if we can keep the funding going. How about denim lederhosen?? Yeah, you heard. Master "seamstresses" Lydia and Leah Haines will create a custom getup for 5 lucky backers – get them while they're hot. Warning: there may be duct tape involved.
We've also stashed away a few SWEET one-of-a-kind Bauhaus tees that we'll release if you guys keep sharing the Bauhaus love (including one featuring the "Hosen Boys," as sketched by our great friend Jake Dilley, aka the aviator).
And don't forget about the Golden Tickets! We'll keep doling them out if you keep sharing! More to come, and much love!!
Cheers from The Bauhaus Family!
Guten Tag, amigos! Bauhaus Brew Labs is a family brewery in Minneapolis, Minnesota that is weeks away from opening its doors. We’ve been daydreaming of this fermentation playland for years, but started pounding the pavement (literally) to build it about 18 months ago. In November 2012, our family decided it was time to take the leap, risk everything and make our Wilder dreams come true.
After spending six months molding our idea and selling it to enough inspired folks, we found the most unique, amazing, bomb-proof space you could build a brewery in – and it just so happened to be right in the heart of Northeast Minneapolis' flourishing brew district. We placed an order for a ridiculously large 30-barrel brewhouse and four shiny 60-barrel fermentation tanks. With each family member bringing a unique and awesome talent to the table, we're making Bauhaus Brew Labs one dynamic, well-oiled machine of a brewery, and it's already begun taking shape.
But we don't want Bauhaus Brew Labs to be your average brewery. We've raised enough money to build our production side and start churning out beer, but we want to do something more – we want Bauhaus to become a veritable beer lover’s ütopia. Our taproom is going to be the center of Gemütlichkeit – a place we can all come together and share a toast to all that’s good in life!
That’s why we’re asking you – the savviest, beer lovingest, most badass kickstarters known the world over – to support this sweet little startup brewery by joining us and making the Bauhaus taproom something truly special for you and yours. There are a ton of rewards to show how much we appreciate your support, so cruise through the column to the right and check them out!
But, How Do I Help?
- Create a Kickstarter account
- Log in using your email and password (or Amazon account information)
- Click on the reward(s) you’re interested in
- Share our project with everyone you know, and demand that they do the same! It would make us oh-so-happy.
Spread it to anyone and everyone, because you know that if we don’t reach our goal we get nothing. NOTHING!
What Will We Do With the Money?
1) Build a proper taproom, then make it even better. There are two options: open a basic, run-of-the-mill taproom OR build an unbelievably cool taproom filled with all sorts of über-awesome surprises for everyone. A sweet sound system to keep you grooving, a karaoke machine when you feel that animal instinct to howl, a stage for live bands, an HD projector for movie nights, one-of-a-kind games, and awesome artwork from local artists.
2) BIERGARTEN! Do you need any further explanation? Our taproom opens up to a huge patio that happens to be located next to a beautiful urban garden and promenade. Picture yourself enjoying the summer heat with a crisp, refreshing Bauhaus Wonderstuff Neü Bohemian Pilsner under a canopy of lights, next to a tangle of hops climbing an iron trellis – it’s the perfect example of community + art + modern/industrial beauty. This place will be in a class of its own and may even feature this jetpack-wearing guy so you don’t need to leave the comfort of your own seat for another beer.
3) Build a lab. We've got an amazing space set aside for our resident genius to mad-scientist his way through the day while smiling down on the rest of us small-folk in the taproom, but we don’t have the cash to fill it with lab equipment. We're aiming to keep all of our lab work in-house, but microscopes and autoclaves don’t come cheap. They will, however, make for better, more consistent beer. The lab is our secret weapon, and will take our carefully crafted recipes to an even more exceptional level.
4) Create the space YOU want to drink beer in. We want this to be your brewery as much as ours, so we are going to use a portion of the funds to help build your dream for a taproom. Use the comments section to tell us your most insane, wildly fun ideas to make this taproom one of a kind, and we will pick our favorites!
S-T-R-E-T-C-H! We've also dreamed up a few of our best and craziest ideas to roll out as stretch rewards if you decide to blow the lid off of this Kickstarter **hint: Denim Lederhosen** Why would we save some of our best ideas for last, you say? Because we really need to hit our goals!
As much as we'd love to give away our beer, or heavily discount our beer as part of the rewards, it's against Kickstarter's rules and regulations to do so. That's why we've dreamed up some wild ideas to gain your support!
ALL REWARDS $10 & UP include an invitation to a Kickstarter-only grand opening Extra Vaganza. Translation: because you believe enough in Bauhaus to plunk down some of your hard earned cash, you get to come be a part of the soft opening and try the beer first.
We'll dole out all the rewards at this event (if you’re out of town or can’t make the party, we’ll ship to you – have no fear!). Expect people with a proclivity for fun, much celebration and lots of delicious beer on-tap (for purchase) as a "thank you" for being the coolest backers in town. Kickstarter has decreed that beer itself cannot be a reward, but check out the amazing alternatives below!
You say the word and we will break out the trampolines and personally give you a Sky-Five! the first time you come to the Bauhaus taproom – because we like you...and trampolines.
Sweet Bauhaus Logo Schticker
Impress your friends and lead the way to Bauhaus Brew Labs with a shiny new sticker!
Leave Your Own Permanent Stamp On the Taproom
Autograph the bigass Bauhaus logo in our taproom and receive your own logo sticker to gaze upon whenever you can’t be there. Not only will this be an inspired piece of art, but it will also bear the name of every single person who helps us build this taproom.
Learn German, the Bauhaus Way!
Forget The Rosetta Stone. Learn from us and impress all of your friends with a full deck of Bauhaus' "How to Speak German" coasters.
Bauhaus Ball Cap
Adorn your dome with a Bauhaus ball cap, the coolest hat you’re likely to see this summer. As an added bonus, it’ll shade your eyes from the hot summer sun while you’re knocking one back in the Biergarten you’re helping us build.
Bauhaus Classic Logo Tee
You know you’ll sport this stylish Bauhaus tee all summer long. This rad logo was created for us by the crack team of design ninjas, Helms Workshop, in Austin, Texas – trust us, people will notice how stylish you are from a mile away.
6-Color Bauhaus Logo Tee
This one takes the Bauhaus stacked logo to a whole new place. Bring together all of the sexy Bauhaus colors to light up the night and set yourself apart as the best dressed beer drinker on either side of the Mississippi.
Summa-Time Beach Hoodie
This lightweight, breezy, branded hoodie will keep you looking cool and feeling cozy all year round. It's what Bodhi and Johnny Utah would’ve worn.
Bauhaus Work Shirt
You want to look cool but rugged, right? We understand, and we've got you covered with these heavy duty Red Kap work shirts emblazoned with the Bauhaus logo across the back.
Stainless. Steel. Growler.
Stop what you’re doing and look at this growler. Not only does it look incredible, but it keeps your beer cold and carbonated longer than conventional growlers. And seriously, TRY NOT TO LOOK AT IT.
Schwandtoberfest. Yep, It’s a Thing.
Your entry to the über-awesome Bauhaus Oktoberfest party is guaranteed and paid for. Malty, delicious festbier, pretzels, brats, a damn polka band and plenty of other wonders to make for an incredibly memorable time!
BRING BACK THE BURGER.
Some of you may have heard whispers, legends and folklore about a guy who loved burgers so much he made them for his friends and family every week in his quest to craft the perfect burger. You may have heard about the way his weekly outings turned into a citywide phenomenon, because he would literally pop up at a park with his traveling flat-top grill and make the BEST BURGERS THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN. It’s been a few years since there's been a Burger Night; the living legend had to put things on simmer for a bit.
Well friends, beer lovers, burgermeisters...Burger Night is coming back! Picture yourself in the Bauhaus biergarten enjoying the best burger you’ve ever tasted (no, we do not exaggerate when it comes to burgers) with a tasty Bauhaus beer in your hand. Great tunes, amazing people and best of all, you get to be a part of supporting John Blue, the burger-crafting ninja himself, in getting his brick-and-mortar restaurant off the ground. It’s really happening.
Official Adoption Into the Bauhaus Extra-Fancy, Party Person Family
Are you a forward-drinking, beer-loving superstar? Then step up and join the family! Not only will you know about special tappings, growler fills and taproom events before the rest of the world, you’ll also be a part of the growth of Bauhaus Brew Labs in a serious way.
How? Glad you asked! We want you and your fancy palate to be involved giving feedback for our pilot batches. Your feedback will help us decide whether or not a recipe is up to snuff and ready to scale up for mass production.
You'll also receive exclusive advance notice when special releases arrive in the taproom. You'll get to snag your fills before we let the rest of the world know about them (assuming all of you fancy folks don’t drink it all first). The tasting panels and early access will last for one year starting with the first tasting.
Some of the special releases and seasonals we’ve got in mind include: our funky and amazingly tasty take on a classic Bavarian dampfbier (an all-barley beer fermented with hefeweizen yeast), a powerful citrusy red lager and a mind-blowing Baltic porter – we want this to be the celebration beer to end all celebrations beers.
AND SO MANY MORE UNIQUELY FUN REWARDS YOU WILL SEE ON THE RIGHT!
But Kickstarter isn’t just a place to order merch early – it's a way to tell us and the world that you believe in Bauhaus by supporting this crazy family on its journey. Every friend that you share this page with gets you one step closer to your own exclusive rewards...so share this like crazy – anywhere and everywhere! E-mail all of your friends, tell your mom, your grandma, even that weird uncle. We need all the support we can get to turn Bauhaus Brew Labs into the wünderland we want it to be!
What Will Make Bauhaus So Different, and So Very Cool?
1) Artfully crafted, meticulously executed beers. We've spent years nitpicking, hair-splitting, testing and measuring, pushing our recipes to perfection. These are the beer styles you already love, but completely re-imagined with new, experimental hop varieties and combinations. We have a decade of serious brewing and, like, lots of science behind us. Our beers are not brewed to be rigidly traditional or extreme; they are crafted to be perfectly balanced, nuanced and surprising.
2) Family. We have a team of superstars wholly committed to making Bauhaus a huge success, each bringing a different and unique skill set to the table. We’ve got the brew whisperer, the in-house smart guy, the nicest taproom Frau in town, an in-house sales and distribution force, a pair of lively wordsmiths, party-goers/full-time dreamers, a rain-man (rain-woman? rain-girl?) to keep track of it all and a mama to keep it all together and keep the lights turned on.
3) Work = Play = Celebration. At Bauhaus, we celebrate the ideal that work and play are not opposites when you're doing something that you truly love – they are one and the same. Bauhaus Brew Labs is about coming together as a community and celebrating, raising a glass with a stranger and toasting to Gemutlichkeit – to all that’s good in life.
Who Are the Bauhaus People?
Matt Schwandt (aka Matt Schwart, aka Matt Schwanson): President, Brewer, all around awesome guy
Lydia Haines: Vice President (she tells Matt what to do…and everyone else, come to think of it)
Howard Haines: Assistant Brewer, In-House Genius, Science Guy, Ambassador of Gemütlichkeit
Mark Schwandt: Sales & Distribution (the beard makes him extra trustworthy)
Mike and Maura Schwandt: Marketing & Communications (wordsmiths, social ninjas, party-goers, full-time dreamers)
Leah Haines: Brewery Operations & Details (boss-lady, rain-man, wrangler of details and other good things)
Kathryn Haines: Brewery Operations & Numbers (tying it all up, maintaining food truck partnerships, keeping the lights on)
Risks and challenges
The biggest risk that you, our backers, face in standing behind Bauhaus is the fact that we are a young company dealing with the day-to-day hurdles that all start-up companies are faced with. We have carefully planned for just about any cash flow situation, but there’s always the chance that something could come up and delay our opening or construction/etc. You can count on the swag, though...because it’s already here. No seriously, swing by and pick it up.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Hey Friends - throwing out a couple disclaimers about the swag.
We have the tee's in both men's and women's sizes, be advised that the women's are running pretty small. The ladies of Bauhaus recommend going up a size.
The Beach hoodie is a unisex (aka men's) size run. So in this case, ladies, go a size down!
The burger night reward is good for you and a friend. And many, many delicious burgers. And so so very much more!
Support this project
- (30 days)