This project's funding goal was not reached on September 30, 2013.
About this project
Whenever I paint, the best pieces are the ones inspired completely by other people. The scary thing is, I realized most of those people actually believe that they live average lives, typical lives, lives that wouldn’t be worth remembering or retelling to others. And so I thought, maybe by starting something where people know they are directly inspiring original art, they are forced to come face-to-face with the originality in themselves. That by seeing their experiences transcribed on canvas, they would realize that all their experiences were worth it and has value. That even the most timeless things of our time will always fail to capture the immensity of your pain, joy and even indifference. That everything in this world pales in comparison to the life you are living. And maybe, another person will come across your inspired Creation and be touched by your story, by the life you are living.
I hope that this project reminds us that our experiences, all of our experiences, are the greatest and most timeless works of art.
What the Project Will Involve
1. Finding 10 participants from anywhere in the world, of any age, of any background, with any story to tell. Ideally, these are people I start off knowing nothing about (allowing the paintings to really evolve). For 3 months, I'll get to know each of them and listen to their stories. This may be done in person if they are in my area, or through online video calls. Each painting will be named after this individual's first name or an alias they choose. This will begin after the 40 day fundraising period.
Update: The 10 participants have been found! Check out the official list here
2. After the fundraising period, I will begin on a painting for each participant and work on it as I get to know them throughout the three months. Timelapse videos will be created to show the painting's evolution.
3. Sharing the final paintings on kollidescopic.com. Each piece will be accompanied by a letter written by myself and the participant, sharing the story behind the painting and reflecting on the experience. Final timelapse videos will also be shared. Backers will be able to choose the print or painting they would like. Requests will be honored by the order they are received. Of course, if a participant is also a backer, he/she will receive first priority on their own Creation.
What the funds will go towards:
Lots of paint and turpentine, art supplies, canvases, copying and making prints, framing.
The breakdown for a $5,000 goal:
- Six 72" x 96" stretched cotton canvases: $500 x 6 = $3000
- Six 36" x 60" stretched cotton canvases: $200 x 6 = $1200
- 3 months of paint & supplies for 10 paintings: $400 budget
- Honoring rewards (prints, frames, copying): $400 budget
If we meet the fundraising goal, I would like to use all excess funds to put together an exhibition. I hope to be able to fly all 12 artists out to a participating venue, where their stories can be shared alongside their paintings. Funds would go towards cost of the space, event planning and full or subsidized cost of airfare for the 12 artists. I estimate that this could be done on a budget of $15,000.
Ways to support:
1. Participate as one of the 10 artists
I love hearing from you, so don't hold back!
Risks and challenges
Time: I'm 22 and still feeling my way through the world. I'm giving myself a timeline of 3 months (after the 40 day fundraising period, when I've selected the 12 participants) to complete the paintings. I might be set back by work and travel, especially with the larger pieces, but I plan to communicate any changes clearly and set a new timeline should anything come up.
Shipping: I've never shipped a painting before, and especially for the large pieces, I will need to be careful and make sure they get to where they're going in the same condition I shipped them. I plan to consult professionals about this.
Spreading the word: During the fundraising period, it is critical that the message reaches a wide audience to truly randomize the 12 artists who participate. I plan to take advantage of all social media platforms and invite anyone interested in this project to help spread the word.
Communication: There are no requirements for participants except that they have reliable internet access and a willingness to commit to the project. There might be difficulties reaching participants due to time zone differences, schedules, etc., but I am prepared to compromise a normal sleeping schedule to see this project through.
Keeping all supporters informed: I want this project to encourage discussion and mutual sharing throughout the project, not just between me and the 12 participants. I will use the blog on kollidescopic.com to share progress and updates about the project and invite all supporters to join in the discussion.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
A pledge is a dollar amount you commit to contributing if the project meets its fundraising goal. If we do not meet the fundraising goal, your contributions and rewards will not be processed.
1. Go back to the top of this page
2. Click the green button that says "Back this project"
3. Enter a pledge amount, select your reward
5. Enter your payment information securely through Amazon payments (Note: Your contributions and rewards will NOT be processed if the $5,000 goal is not met by September 30)
No. All you need is 1) Internet access and 2) Willingness to spare some of your time.
If you would like to send me a brief introduction about yourself before you confirm your participation, that is always welcome. To do this, go to View full bio --> Contact Me.
This project is founded on meeting people where they are, wherever they are. No judgments, no evaluations.
On this page, go to "Back this project" --> Enter a $1 Donation --> Select the $1 Reward for "Participate by sharing your thoughts and experiences"
(Kickstarter wouldn't let me create a $0 reward)
Your contributions will only be processed if, and only if, the fundraising goal of $5,000 is met at the end of 40 days. If the fundraising goal is met, contributions will be processed September 30, 2013. If the fundraising goal is not met, no contributions will be processed. You contributions will not be processed before the 40 days are up.
- (40 days)