GRiT - Augmented Reality Earphones
GRiT - Augmented Reality Earphones
Ultra quality music without cutting yourself off from the world. Music and environment in perfect harmony.
Ultra quality music without cutting yourself off from the world. Music and environment in perfect harmony. Read more
About this project
GRiT's Refund Promise
We've only heard great things about our headphones thus far, and we're so confident in our ability to deliver great sounding product with an array of fantastic features, that we're introducing GRiT's Refund Promise. After the successful completion of our Kickstarter drive, you can send the earphones back, postmarked within 15 days of receiving them, and we'll refund your pledge. We absolutely know that they sound great and we trust that you'll love them. We're willing to put your pledge on the line to prove it!
Back with confidence, because GRiT is now pledging back to you.
GRiT in the Press
“When we say augmented reality, we usually speak about eyewear with special 3D properties, which can paint a new world on top of the real one when put on. GRiTworks promises to do something similar to our hearing.” -Sebastian Pop (Softpedia)
“...absolutely astounding …seriously cool… at the forefront of what I think will be the future of personal listening technology…” -Michael Hemsworth (Trend Hunter)
GRiT: Empower Your Ears
…are so comfortable that you can sleep with them.
…might preserve a life, including your own.
…stay in your ears, even on the run.
We started GRiTworks for one reason: to make better earphones. Whether you're at the frontier of obscure bands, quietly enjoying "books on tape", or rocking out while traveling the globe, GRiT earphones will make any active lifestyle better. We just took every aspect of earphone design that was important to people on the move and tried to improve upon it. What we created in the process are earphones that offer an un-matched combination of sound quality, sleekness, comfort, utility, and awareness.
We know its a big claim, but we think these will be the best earphones you've ever had.
How GRiT Works Video
Hear GRiT Work Video
We are so excited that we could keep telling you how awesome our earphones are, but we'll let the following breakdown of their features do the work for us.
- Sound Quality: We were actually a bit surprised how good our earphones sound. Our 2 types of drivers produce incredibly clear, powerful, and balanced sound. The earbuds also create a near-perfect seal with the ear, meaning there is little to no sound loss or distortion from your environment. We simply didn't cut corners on sound quality and we still managed to produce a full-featured product.
- Secure Earbud Fit: GRiT earphones were created with an active lifestyle in mind. On that note, we designed them to be as secure as possible. They won't move when you move, and they certainly won't accidentally fall out. The best news? We didn't have to use engineered elements like hooks or wedges to force them to stay in place. Our elegantly-designed specific left and right buds work with the geometry and contours of the ear, naturally locating and securing themselves to stay put.
- Comfortable Earbud Fit: Great earphones aren't any good if you can't wear them, so we made ours comfortable, without asking the eartips to be an anchor for the rest of the earphone. Not only do the earbuds sit naturally in your ear, we also created six different sizes of our Micro-TiP eartips to make sure there's one that fits you perfectly.
- Ambient Technology: Earphones have always limited what people could do in the past, but with GRiT we created our ambient technology to break the boundaries of what can be done wearing them. By giving people access to the sounds of their environment around them, they're given more freedom than ever before. Whether using our built-in AMBi Technology or using the AMBi APP, people using our earphones are able to hear what's going on around them as well their desired audio.
- Compatibility: There is unfortunately no such thing as universal compatibility but with the combination of our GeM and NeK series, we are close to being able to connect to just about any device out there via wired or Bluetooth connections. If you have an Android or Apple iOS device, there are even further options as you can connect to most of them with any of our GeM or NeK series earphones. Select one of our NeK series, you will further discover ease of compatibility with our proprietary, quick-release, magnetic NeK-Clasp that incorporates a slim USB connector for charging via any available USB port.
AMBi Technology - How it Works
Our proprietary technology is a new concept to most people, so we thought we'd take a little time to explain how it works. Without getting too technical (you can read more at our website if you're a real techie), the GRiT line available to our Kickstarter Community is centered around 3 important factors:
- Awesome sound quality
- Picking up outside sounds via microphones and introducing them into the audio mix
- Fit, function, and appearance that makes it a pleasure to use all day long
This process gives you the ability to truly control what you hear. If you want to shut out the world, you can turn off the ambient sounds and drift away. If want to be fully-aware, you can turn on the AMBi Technology and hear everything around you, without interrupting your audio.
There are other earphones which can claim to give people access to their environment, but they use methods which dampen sound quality or require almost inaudible audio sound levels. Our design takes the best of both worlds and melds them together. And the entire process is customizable too. Using the AMBi APP, you can adjust how much external sound is pumped through the microphones, giving you control over what you hear, when you hear, and how loud it is.
Who We Are
We're GRiTworks of course! But that probably doesn't mean much to you yet. Suffice it to say, we're experienced at what we do. We have decades of design and engineering chops, not to mention a few tech, business, and world class manufacturing guys on our side. See our full bio for more information.
Plus, the earphones and apps you see in the videos and pictures are 100% real, physical and working prototypes. We didn't just come to you with a distant idea and a dream. We've been hard at work designing and perfecting our products for years, literally, and now we're ready to introduce you to them.
We have so many great things coming, and we can't wait to show them to you. All we need to do now is make this initial push a success, and then the sky's the limit.
So here's the deal. If you make a pledge and help us make these dreams come true, we'll continue to do our absolute best to give you the best earphones you've ever had.
Oh, and please give us your suggestions on how we can improve the products. It is not too late for many possible ideas! Others we will keep in mind for our future products.
Thanks so much!
Kickstarter is your entrance into the inner workings of GRiTworks. Your pledge will give you a unique access here to regular updates, insight and interaction with us on what we are doing and how it is progressing. Pledgers are also first in line for reception of rewards and gain access to other special opportunities on our website (www.GRiTworks.com), so keep your eyes open in both locations.
Where The Money Goes
We've already spent a lot of time, love and money making GRiTworks a reality, but we need your help to push us over the top. Your pledges will certainly be put to good use. Here's an idea where that money will be spent.
- Tooling for all four uniquely tooled earphones (in other words: producing the stuff we need to make them.
- Certifications like Bluetooth, FCC and CE (in other words: ensuring that we're following the rules and safety guidelines)
- AMBi APPs beta testing and programming revisions (in other words: perfecting the app that powers some of our unique designs and makinng sure it continues to work on all Android and iOS devices)
- Operating expenses like overhead, utilities, insurance, travel, and labor (in other words: keeping us fed and clothed while we make your incredible earphones. We promise to eat light.)
- Funding Fees: (in other words: Our gracious "thank you" to Kickstarter and Amazon for access to this vast and amazing community.
- Logistics like warehousing and handling (in other words: having somewhere to store and move the actual units)
- Shipping (in other words: we have to get them to you somehow!) In addition to the shipping cost we ask you to pay, we pay an additional amount to get the unit to you.
- Last but not least.............The cost of each manufactured unit, including its individual packaging.
Producing high quality and unique electronics in a timely manner isn't cheap, but we didn't want to cut any corners either. We're trying our best to find a balance between bare necessities spending without compromising on the end product. In other words (to overuse a phrase), your hard-earned dollars will be well spent with more hard work to follow.
Risks and challenges
There are risks and challenges in any venture like ours, and we've done our homework over the last few years, waiting as late as possible before reaching out to you. That was not because we did not want you involved before, but rather, we wanted to minimize the risks to the point where we are at now. The products are thoroughly developed and all the pieces are in place to where we are truly confident that we will deliver on our promises. So here is our detailed disclosure of the remaining known and foreseeable risks and challenges. Please note that this is to both inform and give you confidence that we are anticipating the risks and challenges and are prepared to, or are already taking action where needed to deal with them.
Product Related: We have already encountered and corrected most of the product and development issues through the build and testing cycle of over a dozen progressively improved prototypes. Only a few minor issues remain which we are working on diligently to resolve. They are: 1) AMBi app compatibility with all Android devices (this will be ongoing as new devices and operating system changes appear on the market); 2) If iTunes refuses to approve our iOS app (Although we have no reason to foresee this happening, we mention it here since it is something we have little direct control over, only our ability to react. Our developers are very experience and already have published apps on iTunes).
Production Readiness Related: Over a year ago, we partnered with one of the world's top earphone/headphone manufacturers. We, and thus you as well, could not be more fortunate as they already have many, many years of experience producing earphones and headphones for many of the top brands you see every day, and may already own. They produced the prototypes we have shown you and integrated into them are most of the revisions needed to be able to begin production tooling. Other technical revisions since these prototypes were produced have already been implemented into their CAD. Potential issues that could occur to delay the production start would be: 1) Failure to finalize product related design changes as noted above; 2) Production tooling changes could easily consume time (Our extreme attention to detail in the prototypes will serve to minimize most potential changes but there is always the possibility that revisions may be required to address process issues); 3) Certification for all our products, particularly the NeK-1 Bluetooth headset, may require more than one pass (certification is a process unto itself and despite a lot of experience, there is never a guarantee it will pass on its first attempt); 4) Component or material supply shortage (there are many materials and internal components, any of which could experience supply shortages. We try to have alternative parts specified for all components in order to minimize any delays due to this); 5) Labor or delivery disruptions at our partner, or any of the material or component suppliers.
Production Delivery Related: Production delivery encompasses a coordinated effort between our manufacturing partner, our 3PL partner (supply chain logistics), shipping carriers, and finally, Customs clearance in each individual country. Our manufacturing partner is very experienced in shipping preparations and we have shortlisted and are in discussions with a number of expert global supply chain logistics firms. Thus we do not foresee any uniquely unusual issues related to delivery of our products. But please note that as a US entity, we cannot ship to certain countries or territories as dictated by US law.
Overwhelming Enthusiasm: While in many ways we hope for overwhelming enthusiasm for our project, we do not want to disappoint our pledgers. Our operations are highly scalable but there is always a limit, thus there is the potential downside that demand could overwhelm our ability to supply everyone immediately. We will do our best to keep you informed if this situation arises and promise we will do our best to deliver rewards in the order in which pledges are received.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
The NeK series has a built-in rechargeable battery, and it's charged via the slim USB side of the clasp by inserting it into any available USB port on a wall charger, car, laptop, or PC. No separate cable is required.
Yes, all model GeM and NeK series models are communication ready. The mics work both for ambient sound pick-up and communication.
Support this project
- (30 days)