Over the last couple years, I have been searching for the perfect leather backpack. A backpack that had timeless design, luxurious quality, and incredible attention to detail. This backpack had to exist somewhere. One day I finally came across a backpack that came close to what I was looking for, but still wasn't the right design.
And, it was over $1,000.
So with help from a few friends, I set out to create my own. We wanted a full-grain leather exterior, a minimal yet modern design, and a price that wouldn't add interest to our credit cards. We created this bag to fill a gap in the market and bring a high quality bag with beautiful design at a price 1/3 of your luxury alternatives. It's time to ditch the polyester, technical, and company emblazoned backpacks and upgrade to something more suitable for everyday.
After tons of sketches, diving through piles of leather swatches, talking to dozens of factories, and countless sampling with two different manufacturers, we've finally landed on our product today.
We're very excited to share the chelon Everyday leather backpack with you.
-Shane Roach & the chelon Team
Our team and advisors have spent years working at world-class brands and retailers and we know this is an exceptional product that you'll love.
Our goal of $10,000 is to cover the first production run in Brown and Black.
Our first production run will come in Brown and Black leather. If we hit our stretch goals of $15k and $20k we will add Navy and Forest Green! We will contact you at the end of the campaign so you can choose your color and share your mailing address.
- 15" tall (17" including handle) x 10 1/2" wide x 5" depth
- 14L volume
- Full-grain, pull-up leather
- Full-grain leather is both the highest quality and the most durable
- Signs of wear will show and a rich patina will increase over time, making your bag one of a kind
- The bag is fully lined with cotton twill
- YKK Excella, the highest quality metal zipper with fully polished elements.
- Removable leather zipper pulls so you can change them in and out. More colors coming soon!
We've created only the absolute necessary pockets to match the minimal design
- Interior laptop sleeve fits 13" laptop comfortably
- Interior zipper pocket for easy access to your essentials: phone, wallet, keys
- Two side water bottle pockets that lay flat when empty
- Exterior zipper pocket (8" x 6 1/2")
- Steel buckles and feet
1. How can I choose my color and share my mailing address?
- Once the campaign ends, you will receive an email asking for information about which color you would like along with your mailing address
2. Is this bag for men or women?
- This bag will look great on anyone, and is designed for everyone.
3. What is full-grain leather?
- Full-grain leather is the most durable and long lasting part of the hide. The leather on your backpack might include natural markings or scars, making it unique.
4. Is the leather waterproof?
- The leather is not waterproof, however, it has natural water resistance. Don't worry, we'll suggest a protectant to keep your bag in the best shape.
5. Will the leather rub off on my clothes?
- We haven't seen any in testing, however, there might be minimal rubbing on light colored clothing.
6. Will my water bottle fit?
- The two side water bottle pockets fit common 20oz water bottles as well as Swell sized bottles.
7. Will my laptop fit?
- The laptop sleeve fits a 13" Macbook Pro with some wiggle room. Email us your laptop dimensions and we'll give you a yes or no.
8. Will the backpack arrive in time for Christmas?
- We're working with our factory and shipping partners to get the product into our warehouse in December, however, at this time we cannot guarantee Christmas delivery. Don't worry, we will keep you updated along the way!
9. What colors does the bag come in?
- The bag comes in Brown and Black leather. We will upload product photos of the black bag in a week!
10. What song is playing in the video?
Once the campaign finishes, the product will be available on itschelon.com after December 15th.
Risks and challenges
While there are always risks and challenges when producing goods, we've done our best to mitigate all factors that are in our control.
We've been in contact with our factory for over six months, and sampled four different times to finalize our production sample. They specialize in handbags and backpacks and have been producing fine quality goods for over 25 years.
Because production is set to finish mid-November, the biggest risk is shipping in time for the holiday gifting season. With generous padding, we expect the products to arrive in early-mid January at the latest. We will keep you updated as production finishes. We'll do our best to get you your bags as soon as possible!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)