Cro-Magnon zombies? Zombie knights? Sentient robot zombies? All this and more in the new book for the Outlive Outdead rpg. Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on October 31, 2012.
About this project
Zombies aren’t just a modern phenomenon. Wherever you find humans--in a Stone Age cave, in a 1920s Missouri prison, or in a future Earth populated by aliens--you’ll also find zombies. The undead might be slightly different in each age, but they all share one thing: They want to eat you alive.
What is the Outlive Outdead Companion?
This is a collection of episodes (adventures) for the cinematic zombie roleplaying game Outlive Outdead. Each adventure is set in a different time period and comes with pregens and small rule modifications to make each setting unique and colorful. The adventures include:
- Extinction Event: What really killed off the Neanderthals? A tribe armed with clubs and stone axes struggles to survive when Cro-Magnon zombies invade their village.
- Le Morte: King Arthur and his knights have fallen, and Mordred's undead legions roam the land. You must prove your loyalty and courage, take up Excalibur, and end the usurper's reign. Can you stop zombie knights on horseback, defeat Mordred, and reclaim the Grail?
- The Jacobite Dead: Charles Stuart makes a pact with witches to create a Jacobite army of the dead in Scotland. Can highland warriors fight their way to the source before all of Scotland falls to the undead?
- Incident at the Calloway County Prison: What would it be like in the most crowded, hot, and violent prison of the Prohibition era? Now add zombies. Can you escape in time?
- Sterilization: Humans and aliens live together on a future Earth--until they turn into zombies. The military will sterilize the entire planet in 24 hours. Can you reach the escape shuttle in time, or will zombie aliens stop you?
Each time period will also feature different starting equipment, unique motivations, and new talents and/or capabilities. All are compatible with the Outlive Outdead rulebook, which is required to play. For example, "The Jacobite Dead" includes rules for zombies fighting with weapons and "Sterilization" provides character generation rules for playing aliens and alien zombies.
What are the rewards?
Besides the usual PDF, softcover, and hardcover options, our rewards come in two groups: Small Rewards and Bigger Rewards.
The Small Rewards include:
- An arrowhead that similar to what Neanderthals might have used to kill zombie Cro-Magnons.
- A 8x11 print of a customized Coat of Arms with your family name that we think would have been given to you by King Arthur for defending the land from zombies. (The shield is cut in half diagonally; one side has a zombie arm, the other is your choice.)
- A prison doctor's exam notes and a photo of the jail's "patient zero" that at least look like they came from Calloway County Prison in the 1920s. (The notes and photo are customized; you send us a name and photo, and we age both to look authentic-ish.)
The Bigger Rewards include:
- A small Loch Ness Monster desk statue (apx. 10 inches long) that we can imagine watched highlanders fight zombies!
- An "Outlive Outdead" 2GB USB flash drive preloaded with a free PDF of the Outlive Outdead rulebook!
When choosing a reward level, you can pick your choice of reward(s). For example, the Caveman Zombie level gives you one of our small rewards--arrowhead, Coat of Arms, or 1920s notes & photo--your choice! The Arthurian Zombie level provides two small rewards, so you could pick the arrowhead and Coat of Arms, or the arrowhead and notes, or the Coat and notes--again, your choice!
Any softcover can be upgraded to a hardcover for an extra $15!
Add a PDF copy of the Outlive Outdead rulebook for an extra $9, or a softcover for an extra $18!
Who are you?
- WJ MacGuffin: Owner of Happy Bishop Games; wrote for Paranoia XP, The Laundry, and of course, Outlive Outdead. (happybishopgames.com)
- Paul Baldowski: Another former Paranoia XP writer and helped write the Outlive Outdead rulebook. (omegacomplex.com)
- Dan Houser: Freelance illustrator who also wrote some for the ICONS rpg.
- Steven Torres-Roman: Librarian (winner of the Gale-Cengage “Librarian Superhero” Award for 2011) and author of Read On ... Science Fiction: Reading Lists for Every Taste.
- Stephen Whitehead: Yet another former Paranoia XP writer and philosophy student at the University of Dundee.
Why do you need a Kickstarter?
When will the game be released?
Once the project is successful, we will distribute PDF copies in mid-late November. Softcovers and hardcovers will be sent in November and December. Out goal is to complete all orders before Christmas! When all backers have received their rewards, we will wait one month and then release the game to the general public--ensuring you have your copy before anyone else.
Risks and challenges
All of us designers have day jobs, so the biggest risk will be getting our individual parts written in time for the release dates. For example, if one designer is late completing his piece, the whole book could be delayed. However, all five of us are experienced designers and our last Kickstarter project (the Outlive Outdead rulebook) went through with very few problems. We are confident this book will be completed on time!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Not much. I live in the USA, so for this project, "international" means anything outside of the US. However, I will be using Lulu to print softcovers and hardcovers, and they have printers in the UK and Australia. That means shipping the books internationally is about the same as shipping domestically.
I have noted several rewards that should include a small additional amount for international shipping. That covers the rewards I have to mail myself (i.e. the Small Rewards and Bigger Rewards), which are relatively small and don't need much more to ship internationally.
- (30 days)