You run past the living dead and into the abandoned convenience store. Michael shuts the door behind you, and together you barricade it as best you can. The zombies gather outside, relentlessly pounding on the door. Michael says he has an idea, but can you trust him?
The humans blocked the door, cutting you off from your food. The hunger drives you to pound on the door, but soon you remember a piece of your former life; stores have back doors. You shamble around the corner, hoping to catch your food unawares. Can you get there in time?
What kind of game is Outlive Outdead?
Outlive Outdead is a unique tabletop roleplaying game. You begin by creating a setting with humans and zombies. Then you play as humans surviving in the zombie apocalypse but, if you die, you join the GM and play zombies trying to kill the other players' humans! Players have told us it makes you feel like you're in an episode of a certain zombie TV show that we probably cannot name for silly legal reasons.
You can read a playtest version (i.e. an incomplete edition without formatting or art) by downloading it here for free.
- Play a human, and when he dies, play zombies!
- Character attributes based on what’s necessary in a zombie apocalypse, such as Flee and Scrounge.
- Fast and easy rules for fluid, cinematic gameplay.
- Roll high for success, but if you roll too high, your human snaps from the stress.
- Create a human character with unique motivations and abilities.
- Create a zombie character type to hunt down the other players’ human characters.
- Get infected and try to hide it from other players.
- Unique karma mechanic allows players to activate powers and flaws-for a karmic price.
- Setting creation system provides unique settings for one-shots and campaigns.
- Optional scoring system to turn up the competition!
All of our rewards are listed on the right, but some deserve special mention. The game includes an introductory adventure that can be customized with place and people names that you give us! Not only that, but if you send us a picture of yourself, we will zombify it and include it in your game! This works if regardless of format: PDF, softcover, or hardcover. Here's a sample of what your zombie picture might look like:
Who are you?
Three people are working on this project. The lead designer is WJ MacGuffin, who runs Happy Bishop Games and worked on Paranoia, The Laundry, and his own game, Triune. The other two designers are Paul Baldowski, who also worked on Paranoia, and Jason Jarvis, who is new to the field. All three are huge fans of zombies and felt the current rpg offerings didn't capture the experiences found iin zombie movies and TV shows--hence, Outlive Outdead.
Why do you need a Kickstarter?
We still need to pay for artwork, editing, and the big one: print costs. But we also love the idea of crowdsourcing and taking advantage of modern POD services to offer customized game books. It's the kind of thing we really cannot do anywhere else.
When will the game be released?
Once this project is successful, we will distribute copies of the game in June. When all backers have received their rewards, we will wait one month and then release the game to the general public, likely in late July/early August. In other words, backers get the game at least one month before anyone else!
- (36 days)