Path of Iron is the next book in the "Path" series by Ascension Games, aimed at bringing new, exciting, and balanced material to the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. Like with Path of Shadows, this book will cover nearly every aspect of the Pathfinder Roleplaying game, with dozens of feats, spells, magic items, archetypes, and options for your favorite classes, along with three new base classes and a new form of "rune magic".
A quick sampling of what you'll find within Path of Iron's 150+ pages of content:
- Three new base classes: the construct-controlling vanguard, the trap master saboteur, and the rune-casting archivist.
- Dozens of archetypes and options for your favorite classes. Use flurry of blows with a firearm as a Zen Marksman, utilize Spell Combat with a two-handed weapon as the Arcane Marauder magus, or tap into the mysterious souls of iron with the Metal spirit for shamans.
- Several feats to support all kinds of play styles, as well as brand-new Technique feats to learn specialized methods of combat. Use the Archon Technique to master the tower shield, or the Titan Technique to wield massive weapons against your foes.
- Over 80 spells for practically every magic user. Conjure innumerable weapons with the field of blades spell, animate a shield to defend you with dancing steel, and steal the power of magic items with the siphon enchantment spell.
- New magic weapons, armor, wondrous items, and more. Destroy any barrier with the gatecrasher or keep your favorite equipment in good repair with the apprentice's whetstone.
- Rune magic, a brand new form of magic casting where every spell grants the caster lingering power to strengthen his next spell.
Much of the material is already in development. In fact, it's far enough ahead that a playtest of the material is already available! You can download the playtest from DriveThruRPG or the Ascension Games website. The primary goal for this Kickstarter is to fill the book with the same sorts of high-quality artwork that is found in Path of Shadows. All of the art pieces in this book will be commissioned pieces made exclusively for Path of Iron: you won't find any stock art here!
You can also check out the Ascension Games website and read up on the latest information about Path of Iron.
Lead Artist: Danielle Sands
1st Stretch Goal - $3000 (+$500): An extra 20 spells added to the book, bringing the total to (at minimum) 100 spells.
2nd Stretch Goal - $4000 (+$1500): A fourth base class! The warden, a powerful warrior and defender that uses runic magic to protect allies, is added to the product. This includes five class archetypes for the warden to give it more options, as well as another iconic art piece created by Danielle Sands.
3rd Stretch Goal - $5000 (+$2500): Prestige classes! Five prestige classes will be added to the book, each with its own iconic character by lead artist Danielle Sands.
Risks and challenges
The two largest hurdles I face are the playtest and the artwork. While the majority of the work towards the post-Kickstarter playtest is near completion, what matters is whether or not the material is well received. Minor changes to class mechanics and abilities is expected and planned for, but if an entire section has negative reception then more time will have to be spent improving that area. I do not foresee that being an issue, but it is a possible risk.
The second area, artwork, is on the funding side. My last book, Path of Shadows, had an art budget of around $1000 that I put forth out-of-pocket. Being that this book is nearly double the length of my last, I need a proportionally larger budget to fill the book with quality pieces. The challenge lies in keeping within budget while maintaining the quality that should be expected, all while keeping to an established theme and getting the pieces completed on-time.
However, both of these are things I have experience with from creating my first product, Path of Shadows, which was put forth to show that I am capable of designing and writing a complete, well-crafted product for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, and so far has been incredibly well received. I am fully confident that I will create another fantastic book to add to your gaming collection, and will continue to do so in future products.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)