About Revelations of Mars
This sourcebook expands Hollow Earth Expedition to include Mars, a dying world filled with strange aliens, bizarre creatures, and vast, inhospitable wastelands. Fight for survival or vie for supremacy as a marauding sky pirate, powerful robot bodyguard, or conniving Martian noble. Experience Hollow Earth Expedition from an otherworldly perspective—one that wields powerful weapons and hungers for earthly treasures as much as any terrestrial power.
Inside you will find everything you need to run out-of-this-world adventures or give your terrestrial games a unique twist: robot and alien player characters; new psychic powers; an exotic bestiary and equipment list; and details on Martian inhabitants and locations.
Hollow Earth Expedition: Discover a whole new world of adventure!
- Martian Princess Miniature (Kickstarter Exclusive)
We have a limited number of these special Martian Princess miniatures available, but if you pledge at the (appropriately named) MARTIAN PRINCESS or SCION OF MARS level, we'll throw in one of these exclusive rewards for free. But that's not all. If you pledge at the AVATAR or GOD-KING level, you'll get a hand-painted Martian Princess miniature. Get one before they're gone!
If you pledged at the WARLORD level or above, you may add any of the below rewards by simply adding the corresponding amount to your pledge.
+6$ Ubiquity dice (9 dice)
+$15 Sample character prints (paper, 8.5"x11")
+$20 Hollow Earth Expedition traveler's edition (softcover, 6"x9")
+$20 Revelations of Mars Ubiquity dice (nine dice plus dice bag)
+$20 Revelations of Mars GM Screen (hardback plus adventure booklet)
+$25 Revelations of Mars Style chips (50 Style points)
+$40 HEX PDF package (PDFs of all five books)
+$40 additional Revelations of Mars book (hardcover, 8.5"x11")
- +$10 one map (paper, 11"x17")
- +$18 two maps (paper, 11"x17")*
- +$25 three maps (paper, 11"x17")*
* If you are already getting a paper map as part of your reward package, adding a second map is +$8 and adding two additional maps is +$15.
- +$40 one map (canvas, 16"x25")
- +$75 two maps (canvas, 16"x25")*
- +$100 three maps (canvas, 16"x25")*
* If you are already getting a canvas map as part of your reward package, adding a second map is +$35 and adding two additional maps is +$60.
• UNLOCKED: $18,000 — Revelations of Mars Style chips add-on
• UNLOCKED: $22,000 — Revelations of Mars Ubiquity dice add-on
• UNLOCKED: $25,000 — Fat Dragon Martian terrain set (FREE!)
• UNLOCKED: $30,000 — Revelations of Mars GM screen add-on (FREE PDF!)
• UNLOCKED: $35,000 — Perils of Mars Adventure #1 (FREE!)
• UNLOCKED: $40,000 — Perils of Mars Adventure #2 (FREE!)
• $45,000 — Perils of Mars Adventure #3 (FREE!)
• $50,000 — Perils of Mars Adventure #4 (FREE!)
Risks and challenges
Exile Game Studio has been printing award-winning RPG books since 2006, so we not only know what pitfalls to avoid, but we know how to navigate these treacherous waters to deliver a quality product. Plus, this is our third Kickstarter, so we understand how to plan and budget for this kind of project.
Here are a few of the things we’re keeping an eye on:
• Art: Finding the right artists and fitting into their schedule is not easy, as professional artists are almost always working. So there could be delays not only with finding the right artists but also getting it done in a timely manner. But we have a good relationship with the artists we’ve worked with previously, so we have a pool of people who already know the HEX style to choose from.
• Writing: Finding writers for Hollow Earth Expedition has always been tricky, as we need people who can put an original spin on a well-known genre. This is especially true for Revelations of Mars, since sword and planet fiction varies so wildly. As a result, we are going to do more of the writing in-house, which means that it may be slower initially, but what we produce should require less re-writing as we fine-tune the vision. But we will use freelance writers as much as possible to speed the book along.
• Editing and Layout: Sourcebooks are complicated beasts, as they not only contain prose and flavor text, but they also include lots of rules and stat blocks that all need to be checked and double-checked for accuracy. Often, a single person can’t edit the entire book. One person may have a great editorial voice while another may be a wizard with the rules. Consequently, we've used a different team of people for each book, but we’re hoping to get the best of the best back for Revelations of Mars.
• Printing: We’ve used different printers over the years, but our print buyer works with multiple game publishers to make sure any prospective printer can meet our special needs. With that being said, there can be a dizzying array of things that can go wrong with printing: supply chain problems, mistakes and reprints, and even civil unrest. The last one just happened once, but still. While some of these things are hard to anticipate, rest assured we will do everything in our power to deliver the highest quality book in a timely fashion.
• Shipping: Next to printing, shipping is the next most unpredictable area. Shipments from printers can get delayed and packages to customers can go astray. But we will do our best to keep you informed and replace missing packages as necessary.
• Money: We’ve done our best to budget accurately, but sometimes things cost more than expected. As long as it is not a catastrophic overage, we should be able to absorb it. We did try to keep things lean so we could set a reasonable funding goal, so we’re not going to be swimming in money and will be doing our best to say within budget.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Our Martian Princess is the standard 25mm size. But she looks bigger in real life.
She was sculpted by the very talented Patrick Keith of Bombshell Miniatures.
Good question. The answer is time and money. No one at Exile is able to work on HEX full time, so we have to do it around our day jobs. And making high-quality books is expensive, so we've been doing most of the work ourselves.
And that's where Kickstarter comes in. If this project is successful, we can use the money to speed up development and get it out sooner than it would otherwise.
The PDFs for the existing books will be sent out after the project funds. The Revelations of Mars PDF will be sent out once the book is ready to go to the printer.
Yes. We'll email you codes to download the appropriate PDFs through DTRPG.
We'll send out a survey after the project funds to collect information on which add-ons you want.
So for now, just include the add-ons in your total pledge and we'll make sure it matches what is in the survey.
Support this project
- (29 days)