Legend of the Lancer (Canceled)
Legend of the Lancer (Canceled)
Battle Epic Bosses, Explore multiple towns, Compete in Jousting Tournaments and uncover the mystery behind the Legend of the Lancer!
Battle Epic Bosses, Explore multiple towns, Compete in Jousting Tournaments and uncover the mystery behind the Legend of the Lancer! Read more
In the land of Umber, the King, wielding a mighty Lance, defended his Kingdom against the Dragon, Osmos. The Kingdom was saved, but the King was lost. You play as Sam Drexel, a young knight in a land where ten-thousand knights are competing in a tournament for the King’s Crown. A new era is coming! As Sam, you journey through towns, dungeons, and ancient lands. You challenge powerful knights and battle dangerous monsters. As you build your weapons and skills you begin to uncover the mystery of the Lost King, and the Legend of the Lancer.
Legend of the Lancer is a 2D Action/Adventure game with non-linear gameplay, multiple storylines, and modernized game design. The idea behind Legend of the Lancer was inspired by the heroes and legends written by J.R.R Tolkien, Miguel de Cervantes, George R.R. Martin, and T.H. White. Their stories were key to the development of this game. We love the idea of a hero in a world full of turmoil. Faced with multiple challenges all at once, the hero must decide for himself what is the best path to take. The choices our hero will make will affect the outcome of the game. We believe that Jousting, a popular medieval sport, is the best way to bridge all the different adventures we have in store for our hero. There will be no rest for our hero, nor the gamer. We are not going to make this an easy game. We strive to balance story with great game design; beauty with clarity. Legend of the Lancer plays like a Metroidvania. It is non-linear gameplay allows player move freely in the game world to complete his desired quests and collect rewards on his own. Legend of the Lancer offers fast-paced combat, strategy, epic adventures, and the option to choose your own path in a world with a mysterious past.
- Explore a new world with a mysterious past! Compete in jousting tournaments! Fight epic boss battles! Embrace destiny in this brand-new 2D Metroidvania!
- Compete in local qualifying Jousting tournaments as you work your way up to the Grand Jousting Tournament.
- Meet some memorable characters! Help them to complete quests or challenge them to combat. Earn their banners and gain new weapons, skills, and abilities.
- Traverse through dark dungeons and ancient temples. Fight evil spirits, mages and monsters in epic boss battles.
- The Magic Hilt - Sam discovers a magical hilt inside the skull of The Dragon. A variety of attachments can be used with this hilt in order to grant Sam new skills and abilities. Attachments, such as a hammer, grappling hook, and rockets, are found as the player progresses through the game. In the midst of battles, the player can cycle through their equipped attachments on the fly in order to effectively combat Sam's foes. This encourages players to shape their own style for fighting the various creatures and enemies of Umber. To give an example of how the aforementioned attachments may work together, Sam can stun an enemy with the hammer, launch the enemy into the air with the normal lance, and then shoot a rocket at the opponent. Up to 4 attachments can be equipped at a time, which is managed within the Inventory menu and players will be able to see their attachments on their ingame HUD.
- Horse Companion - Inspired by the ride armors from the Mega Man X series, Sam will have a similar piece of equipment. The horse can be summoned in order to aide Sam clear various obstacles. Boulders, once out of reach platforms, and some mid-bosses and bosses can be tackled when Sam has the horse. As the character progresses through out the land of Umber, equipment for the horse can be found and equipped in order to upgrade its abilities. When Sam is not riding the horse, it assumes a "passive stance", where it simply looks like a normal horse. However, whenever Sam jumps onto the horse, it assumes a bipedal stance where it will use a lance and shield in order to combat the opposition.
- Sequence Breaking - The key to Legend of the Lancer is its Non-Linear design. You, the player, can complete any jousting qualifier, quest line, boss in any order you wish. To complete the game you don't even really need to complete all the content in the world. There will be a short path that will lead you through the story but will give you a very different ending. We have created several pathways and scenarios that will result in different outcomes.
- Random Drops - When you begin your journey in the Land of Umber, a pool of key items are available for the player to find and collect from defeated bosses. However, bosses will not drop the same item in every playthrough. For example, in one playthrough, the Tree Ent boss may drop a hilt attachment, but in the next playthrough he may drop a piece of armor. Fortunately, your items will carry over into the next game, allowing you to collect all items if you wish to do so. Note that no matter the drop it will be very useful in some fashion.
The scope of our project has grown quite large since its original conception.
We are planning on launching Legend of the Lancer by December 2014. This is an arduous project and will take countless hours to complete. Here are some things that we need to make that possible:
- Additional Staff - We have a lot of drive, passion, and love for this project. Our team is strong but we need it to grow in order to meet the demands we have placed on this project. Additional artists and programmers will help Gorilla Press Games provide the quality we know gamers expect. Fine tuning a project of this size will require the extra hands to keep things on pace.
- Operating Costs - As we establish publishing channels for distribution we need to have all the right business items in place to make Gorilla Press Games official. We must also keep the business operating by paying staff, monthly expenses, and purchasing tools for the company.
- QA & Improvements - We want testers on board but we want testers that have experience in the industry. The game must be well polished and improved by hiring testers and building resources to can help receive input from the community itself.
Legend of the Lancer is currently in Pre-Alpha for PC, MAC, and Linux. We are working on the Unity3D platform. This will allow us to easily port to multiple platforms moving forward if we reach the stretch goals.
Most of the base mechanics are in place already; the AI Behavior system, Combat System, Custom Physics, and Advanced Collision detection for Scenario Tiles.
We are currently spending a lot of time on the detail of the art design and animation system. For example our walk cycle for our Tree Minion has a 3D effect. It seems that we are almost rotating the sprite when we are just shifting the art in a 2D space.
All copies of the game sent to Backers are DRM-free and will be distributed upon release in 2014. Current planned platforms are Windows, Mac OSX, Linux. We currently have stretch goals for PS3, PS4, Vita, and Wii U. We will be working on a Steam release through Steam Greenlight immediately. As we hit stretch goals we will allow backers to switch their platform if they so choose.
The booklet will be created with a classic design in mind. This booklet will list items, upgrades, towns, attack combos, detailed map locations, quests, secret areas, enemies, and much more.
Companion Art Book w/Extras
This gorgeous book will contain mountains of sprites, animation frames, concept art, sketches, design notes, details, and character backstories, plus deeper knowledge into the lore of Legends of the Lancer.
The full OST will distributed in digital form for backers of the $40 Tier and above. We plan to compose up to 30 tracks for the release with bonus tracks for backers who reach this tier. As we update the campaign, we will place track samples for everyone to listen to.
Hall of Champions
At the end of the Annual Tournament the winner's name is etched into a Monument called the Hall of Champions. Only the brave, bold, and victorious shall have their name written here for eternity. For backing the $100 tier and up your name will be written in this Hall as a past victor. As a bonus if you name is highlighted and selected a voice of the Gods will speak your name out into the hall. ( And No Troll names will put written here, maybe in Belmont Tower.)
Put yourself in the Game & Create a Quest
This your chance to put yourself in the game as a character or even create a character from scratch. You will create this NPC's look and location. Also help create a side quest for Sam Drexel to complete. You will help design all details of the quest.
Create a special Enemy & Outcome
Legend of the Lancer has many paths you can take to complete the game with multiple outcomes. This is your chance to help us create a story arc that result in a special outcome you help select. Also you will be able to create your own in game enemy. You will be creating all details of that enemy from its look, location, and behaviors.
Design an Epic Boss Battle
This is your chance to back our top tier and assist in creating a boss battle you've always dreamed of. Together we will create ever aspect of the Boss and the battle itself. The concept of the boss, its backstory, behaviors, attacks, location, its lair layout, and its rewards are all decided by you.
This special reward tier for $60 will get you a Legend of the Lancer shirt in small, medium, large, XL, or XXL. The design will also have a small lance on the sleeve and a special design on the back that will be revealed later in the campaign.
Celebrate the launch of Legend of the Lancer with the crew of Gorilla Press Games. You will also receive an exclusive LOTL Lance replica that has been created by Project Triforce. Project Triforce is known for making various replicas based on items from games such as Mass Effect 3, Darksiders 2, Batman Arkham City, and Gears of War 3. Also your name will be listed in the credits with a very personal Thank You Section.
Risks and challenges
We have spent months designing our game document then moving into prototyping this project. There are many Metroidvania projects that have launched over the past year. What makes us different? What makes our project unique? We have really spent a lot of time identifying our project but moving forward we need to enhance that identity. Legend of the Lancer must provide players with a unique experience from the Jousting Gameplay to the Non-Linear story paths.
How do we make this happen? We must keep our core concepts in mind but also listen to our fans and community. Using this method we can make sure that we reach the end result gamers will expect but also grow our initial vision.
This is the first major project from Gorilla Press Games as well as our first Kickstarter campaign. Our game may change slightly in scope or design as we progress in order to meet what is expected of the project. In the end, our goal is to create a game that can be enjoyed by everyone.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)