About this project
The goal of Come Out & Play is to provide a forum for new types of public games and play. We want to bring together a public eager to rediscover the world around them and designers interested in producing innovative new games and experiences. But most of all we want to have city-sized fun!
The Come Out & Play Festival started in New York City in 2006, and when one of the co-founders relocated to the Bay Area, the festival came with her. Come Out & Play SF has been an annual event since 2010, and the 2012 festival is unique in that we're having a gallery exhibition at SOMArts for the few weeks surrounding the main weekend of games.
Why We're Raising Money
CO&PSF is completely free to attend and run entirely by volunteers. This makes it great as far as public accessibility goes, but less great when it comes to finding the money to make the event happen. Some of the money we raise will go to rather unexciting things like liability insurance and shipping games parts. Estimated budget, at a glance:
- 9.46% insurance ($1,500)
- 4.42% materials ($700)
- 5.68% printing ($900)
- 75.71% artist stipends ($12,000) <--- Where your pledge goes!
- 4.73% shipping costs ($750)
We already have some financial backing from our fabulous host SOMArts and the Awesome Foundation. We are also supported in part by the San Francisco Arts Commission Cultural Equity Grants Program through an Arts for Neighborhood Vitality grant. But we need more!
The money raised here on Kickstarter will go to paying stipends to the artists that run games during the festival. Without these talented contributors, Come Out & Play SF would not be possible. We want to show them how much they're appreciated.
If we raise more than our goal, the additional funds will go towards paying for things like game project cost reimbursements and artists' transportation and lodging when they're in town for the festival. Also: cool toy robots and inflatables.
Where We Are and What We'll Be Doing
We just wrapped up a games workshop held in collaboration with the Zero1 Biennial, and our call for games proposals is already underway. After the July 31 deadline we'll begin the deliberation process of deciding which games will be a part of the festival, and the final decisions will be made by the end of August. Then comes publicizing CO&PSF and finalizing all the details, up until the gallery installation the second week of November. Dates to remember:
- December 1-2: Come Out & Play San Francisco Games Festival
- November 17-December 8: CO&PSF Gallery Exhibition at SOMArts
So far we've secured some fantastic sponsors:
And we have a few of the games lined up as well:
- Lemonopoly (Zero1 Winner): When life gives you lemons, share them to make your city the top lemon-economy in the Bay Area!
- Sensoree (Zero1 Finalist): Part Twister, part mood ring, contestants compete for spaces based on their competitor's reactions and try to be the last one standing.
- Jericho - The Urban Spy GameJericho: One team on offense, one team on defense; can the offense complete its mission before time runs out?
- Journey to the End of the Night: It's a race, but it's also a chase; using only your feet and public transit, will you make it to the end of the night?
- Undercover Capture the Flag: Just like capture the flag, except no one can know you're playing! No running, no shouting; who's playing and who's not?
Come Out & Play SF also has a great group of volunteers who have been working hard to make the festival come together. Many of these people are veteran Come Out & Play organizers and participants, and given the many collective talents of this group, we're pretty confident that this year will be the best yet!
Just to give you an idea of what to expect:
Support this project
- (30 days)