Sunsara - Issue #1
Help fund the printing of this new science fiction comic book about a cybernetically enhanced assassin, and her thirst for revenge.
We are in the final few days of this fundraiser and still have a long way to go. It's only by the generosity of those who have already given and those who will give that we can bring Sunsara to print. I've spent an enormous amount of time creating and refining this world, and still have tons of work to do to finish the entire story of Sunsara. This Kickstarter will fund the printing of the first issue, and the sales of those books will finance the continued creation and printing of the remainder of the series. You make all the difference by pledging or sharing the link to this project, and I greatly appreciate every single backing, Facebook share, retweet and mention each of you provide that helps bring Sunsara closer to our goal.
Thank you all for helping to make this dream a reality!
The two best value backer levels are:
$35: You get Sunsara #1, 4”x6” print of “She Came to Play”, your name on the funders page of issue #1, an original sketch (4”x6”), and a copy of the graphic novel Subterfuge (150 pages including the original Sunsara mini-comic).
$50: You get Sunsara #1, 4”x6” print of “She Came to Play”, your name on the funders page of issue #1, an original sketch (4”x6”), a copy of the graphic novel Subterfuge (150 pages including the original Sunsara mini-comic), an 8.5”x11” signed print of the cover of issue #1, and a Sunsara t-shirt.
Sunsara is the story of a cybernetically enhanced assassin who is seeking revenge against a powerful corporate master for the murder of her father whose persona lives on in Sunsara's robot assistant. Through the series we will find how she became what she is and follow her struggles to fill her all consuming purpose of revenge.
New Reward Level Added!
$35 – Something Extra Level – Hard copy of Issue #1, 4”x6” signed print of “She Came to Play”, name on funder's page in book, original sketch card (random ink pen sketch on 4"x6" paper. Sketch in award image is only an example.), PLUS copy of graphic novel Subterfuge (150 pages including the Sunsara mini that started it all).
Subterfuge will also be added to every reward level above $35.
What the Goal Covers
At first glance the goal may seem like a large amount for a single issue of a comic book, and honestly I've struggled to come to grips with a reasonable amount. But you can't fight math. Well, you can, but you're just a hot man yelling at the sun at that point. The goal covers:
- The printing cost: I am going with a number of copies that allows me to keep the cover price at a point where I can still make a few cents if I get the book into stores, which require you to sell them copies at about half the cover price. The book is being printed with offset printing, not print on demand, and in the USA.
- The rewards: I tried and tried to think of rewards that didn't incur additional costs, but try as I may every good thought I had comes with more cost. But I tried to think of things I would want. So we have cool things like t-shirts (the kind I'd like to wear and you can bet I will), prints (small ones, large ones, and uber limited editions), sketches (who doesn't like something unique?), coffee mugs (which you can use for tea if coffee isn't your drink of choice), and the crown jewels of physical awards (which play on the corporate theme in the story) and ongoing credits in the book. Dang, that excites me!
- Shipping and packaging: These nice things need to get to you beautiful people, and they need to get to you safely and intact.
- Kickstarter and Amazon fees: Obviously they need to get paid for supplying the services to provide this fundraising platform.
After the Campaign
- If it's funded: If we reach our goal I will first probably break down and cry. Then jump up and down for around an hour. After picking myself up from the floor, I will then come to the realization of all the work I have to do. And I will do it with a GIANT grin on my face and a song in my heart. Once the funds reach me I'll need a week to place the orders for the printing of the book, and all the various rewards (awards, prints, t-shirts, etc.). Proofing, approval, shipping, and receiving everything will be another 2-3 weeks from that. Then I, and probably a few friends, will start putting all the packages together and shipping them out. I will update every 2-3 days how the process is coming along, even if it's just a “still waiting on proofs” or “the books are halfway here”. Once the first issue is printed and everyone's rewards are sent out, there will be the work of getting this book out into the rest of the world and continuing to work on subsequent issues in the series.
- If it's not funded: First I will cry (I'm not really that emotional...I think), then I will question my existence in this universe, and finally I will contact some publishers I haven't yet and if nothing catches then I'll move on and become (insert some monotonous job title here).
“The Calculated Thoughts of an Imaginary Carbon Based Life Form” by Indigolab was used with permission. Check out more of Indigolab's work at https://soundcloud.com/indigolab
Risks and challenges
There are lots of places along the way where we may experience some hiccups, but I have a background in handling a number of projects at once (including working with printers and vendors) and solving problems as they come up. I will regularly keep everyone posted on any delays or other issues that come up and solve them as quickly as possible.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)