Everyday we are faced with different tasks; we go to work, meet clients, exercise or hangout with friends. As you know, your bag may fit one occasion, but might not be right for the next. As a graphic/product designer, I wondered if there was a way of solving this problem. After a year of design challenges, a solution was found. My team and I have designed a multipurpose messenger bag with an interchangeable flap. We created a bag that easily transforms its look, function and capacity to adapt to our active and rapidly changing lifestyles.
The FaceOff™ interchangeable flap
- Style Matters - The bag we carry is more than just a container. It expresses a feeling and it represents an image. By switching out the design of the flap, we can dress the bag appropriately for different occasions. Choose an executive style flap for working or meeting clients to give a professional look. Then Switch it to a graphical style for weekend or leisure time. In this way, we will always express ourselves in a style of our choosing.
- Safety Matters - Bicycling is fun and promotes good health. To keep ourselves safe while riding, it is important that we can be seen by drivers, especially at night or in low-light conditions. We designed a flap with a built-in EL light-stripe that illuminates and flashes specifically to tackle this problem. It can help the rider stay visible and increase safety for cyclists, bikers, skateboarders and will fit a multitude of other uses. Three illumination modes: Solid, Slow blink and Fast blink. Powered by two AA batteries.
- Capacity Matters - Got more stuff to carry? A flap with Five additional pockets provides the solution. These Five extra pockets will extend the capacity of the bag by another 30%! This flap is ideal for travel or simply when there is a need to carry more stuff.
We will continue to develop more styles and designs to keep our interchangeable flaps fresh and current.
The FaceOff™ messenger bag
Besides the ability to interchange the flap, the FaceOff™ messenger bag is also thoughtfully designed for your convenience and carefully constructed to protect your valuable gear. This bag is packed with many unique features...
- Fits 13” and 15" MacBook Pro or PC
- Padded iPad compartment
- iPhone sized pocket
- Charger/accessories pocket
- Hidden water bottle compartment
- Wallet and keys pocket
- Pen loops
- YKK quick release buckles
- Padded/removable shoulder pad
- Water repellent
- Fully lined interior
- Made with recyclable TPE coated fabric
- Matte finish look and unique soft touch feel
- Worn in three different ways, a backpack, cross body and tote bag
The KP team is based in Los Angeles. We are a small team of design workaholics who are hopelessly in love with graphic/product design. Our passion is to create innovative, functional, sleek and recyclable products that people will love to use.
Our Plan: The funds raised through this Kickstarter campaign will be used for purchasing fabrics, hardware, electrical parts, silkscreen printing, and so on in order to begin production. In addition, it will help us to meet the manufacturer’s MOQ as well as give us the funding needed to develop other cool bag and flap designs. If our campaign is successful, we will immediately proceed with production and start our product launch strategy.
A special thanks to all the people who helped put this project together: Pauline Nadal (Artist), Charlie Howl, Will of "The Looking Glass Cocktail Club", Jo Symmons, Vyelle Croom, Tushar Joshi and ARC777 (Music).
Risks and challenges
Taking the Long View
At KPLooks, we seek to deliver value through sustainable growth. One of the ways we will achieve this goal is to find avenues to reach our long-term vision of decoupling profitable growth from constrained resources.
We are working to integrate sustainability into every aspect of our business. Our aim is to challenge, push and explore ways that change the game entirely for the sourcing of materials, design ideas and lowering manufacturing costs. We won’t grow just to get bigger. We’ll grow to be better and do better.
Like many other businesses, KPLooks faced some headwinds in FY13/FY14. Rising costs for energy, materials and labor sparked inflationary pressures in some supply locations and margin pressures across our industry. Major weather events, such as flooding in Thailand, put stress on supply chains and delivery. Both weather conditions and political unrest affected markets and confidence in some areas.
While these challenges were shared across our industry we feel that In spite of ongoing macroeconomic challenges, we are positioned to leverage our strengths – including scale, operational capabilities, establishing brand strength and product innovation – to help mitigate the risks beyond our control and capitalize on opportunities to grow our company.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)