SuarezDanceTheater and Christine have been fortunate to be awarded six grants and two residencies in the past two years. And yet, we need even more fuel to support our ambitious ideas and commitment to the communities we serve! YOU.
We are actively campaigning to raise $6000 by the end of the year to support our 2018 projects. 100% of what is donated goes into the hands of working artists invested in building community through dance-making. Also 100% of your donation is tax deductible. How do we more deeply connect and engage with communities? Activating access and participation is key the our work. We believe this cultivates lasting impact, stimulates critical thinking, and enhances civic engagement. The goal for 2018 is to mobilize FOUR projects.
To kick things off, we will premiere of Rule of Thumb – a collaboration with Atlanta-based choreographer Lori Teague. Lori choreographed Rule of Thumb in 1992 – Christine was an original cast member. Now, 25 years later they are re-engaging with the work’s themes of gender and female sexuality – taking an investigatory look at how we’ve changed and the landscape in which we live has changed. We are collaborating with Los Angeles-based dance artist, Kai Hazelwood and four Atlanta-based dance artists: Juana Farfan, Charné Furcron, Sally O’Grady and Onur Topal-Sumer. We began working in the summer of 2016, including a three-week residency at Motion Pacific in Santa Cruz, CA and a one week residency at Pieter PASD in Los Angeles in 2017. We have also garnered support from Network Ensemble Theaters. The work will premiere at Emory University, March 1-3, 2018.
Mother.Father., Family Dinner and On Being American are the three other projects we will bring on the road to gain local exposure and diversify engagement by connecting with schools and community centers in the Los Angeles area. All three projects question, challenge, and re-vitalize audience outreach and engagement practices. They are designed to be performed in alternative spaces with minimal technical assistance. They are personal and political. Mother.Father. is about family-making inspired by stories from lesbian moms and gay dads. In Family Dinner, we connect with the audience during our creative process –articulating ways we collectively hold a story. On Being American is an interactive dance event through which we examine our sense of “American-ness.”
75% of the funding raised will go towards our expenses for Rule of Thumb: travel costs, artists’ and rehearsal fees. The other 25% will go towards covering performance fees for the three locally expanding projects: Mother.Father., Family Dinner, On Being American. By heavily subsidizing our costs, we can perform for little or no cost to our school or community center hosts. We believe this is imperative to the work we share.
We are eager to make these new connections and support the lives of these projects. You’re contribution will fuel who, where, and what we do in the new year! Anything is possible together.
Risks and challenges
There are often unforeseen obstacles that come up in performance and production. After 10+ years of making work, we're used to dealing with unpredictable challenges, surprises, and creative problem solving. The key (for us) to ensure a smooth process and fulfilling outcome is teamwork, preparation, and a good sense of humor. SuarezDanceTheater is all about developing meaningful relationships through our work. This enables open communication and fosters a reliable network. So if we come up against a plane delay, lost luggage, or a flat tire...it's nothing we can't handle. More importantly, your contribution is going towards projects that already have a stable foundation in place, from which we plan to build from and take on the road.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)