About this project
"Oh," I say matter-of-factly.
"That's kind of creepy," she says.
And I smile because I know that's what I was hoping to accomplish, but I wasn't sure if I could.
Muskoka follows a young woman who sets out to study a recently discovered tribe of people. As a budding anthropologist, she is taken aback by the local population and is left with more questions than answers; most of which seem glaringly unnerving. Where are they from? Why are they here? Why weren't they discovered sooner?
The book will be a stand alone story and will feature spot coloured pages. Its due to be 32 pages long and printed in full colour.
Creating The Monster
I love monsters. Something about the design. Something about the character of a thing that is not supposed to exist. Whether malevolent, kindly, or misunderstood. Brooding, scary, goofy, or bizarre.
Whats odd is how something so unnatural can come so naturally. Is it a subconscious obsession to be afraid? To see faces in the dark when there are none to be seen. To pluck a figure out of your peripheral vision and think the worst.
In all seriousness, this is a comic born of a few stray thoughts. The idea of a monster of a man, not just a man who is a monster, that unnerving feeling that there may be something worse just out of sight, and fear in its simplest, most instinctual form.
About The Campaign
Although this is not my first book to go to print, this is the first I have sought out an audience to help fund it's creation. This campaign has a funding goal that really only covers my costs to print, ship, and pay the resulting Kickstarter fees. The goal isn't to walk away with a new tablet monitor or laptop, but to share my stories across a greater distance.
What I hope to achieve is a small print run that I can bring to my next couple shows as well as provide an opportunity for individuals who regularly would be unaware of my work to stumble upon something they might enjoy. Really, I just want to tell my tale and have people read it.
Muskoka is mostly complete already and will be finished by the end of the campaign baring fatal injury or natural disaster.
- 1.It Was All In Your Head - You will receive a digital copy of Muskoka delivered straight to your inbox for you convenience. Now if only you could find a way to upload it straight to your brain. $3.00+
- 2.You Make It Out First - Hurrah! As one of the very first backers you get the printed copy of Muskoka and the digital edition for less. What a champ! $5.00+
- 3.Field Study Gone Awry - You will receive the printed copy of Muskoka and the digital edition in one happy bundle! Something to read whilst trekking through the bush. $7.00+
- 4.The Missing Link - You will receive the printed copy of Muskoka and the digital edition, my last comic The Man Outside The Window, plus my very first print anthology that nobody in their right mind would want, all delivered right to your door! Seriously, what is wrong with you? You do not want that book! $15.00+
- 5.Strange Musings - You will receive the printed copy of Muskoka and the digital edition, plus a fun sketch on either the inside or outside of the cover. Don't let this drive you mad. $20.00+
- 6.The Image Speaks To You - You will receive the printed copy of Muskoka and the digital edition with a fun sketch on either the inside or outside of the cover plus a print of your choice. If it whispers at night, don't answer! $30.00+
- 7.I'm Going Slightly Mad - You will receive the printed copy of Muskoka and the digital edition with a fun sketch on either the inside or outside of the cover, a print of your choice, plus a custom 9x12" painted commission. Something for your twisted little mind. $50.00+
- 8.Things Are Not As They Seem - You will receive the printed copy of Muskoka and the digital edition with a fun sketch on either the inside or outside of the cover, a print of your choice plus an original Muskoka comic page of your choosing. Yes, some people still actually draw on real paper! $100.00+
- 9.A Horrific Mural - You will receive the printed copy of Muskoka and the digital edition with a fun sketch on either the inside or outside of the cover, a print of your choice plus a custom 12x16" painted commission. This may make your walls bleed. $120.00+
- 10.Bound In Human Flesh - You will receive the printed copy of Muskoka and the digital edition with a fun sketch on either the inside or outside of the cover, a print of your choice plus the original painting of the Muskoka cover. The crown jewel of this collection. $150.00+
This is the part of the campaign where we dare to dream. I have some ideas in mind to give back to all you wonderful people should we exceed my original funding goal. I know we can do it. Lets see how high we can go!
- COMPLETE!!! $800.00+ - Buttons! Buttons for everyone who pledged for a physical reward! Designs to be released upon completion of this goal.
- COMPLETE!!! $1000.00+ - A special bonus print from guest artist Nick Johnson! This will also be added to the finished comic.
- COMPLETE!!! $1100.00+ - Every single backer will receive a free digital version of my next 10 page short comic called The Ice Hole!
- COMPLETE!!! $1200.00+ - A special bonus print from guest artist Elaine M. Will! This will also be added to the finished comic.
- COMPLETE!!! $1300.00+ - Every backer who pledged for a physical reward will receive the ashcan print version of my next 10 page short comic The Ice Hole!
- COMPLETE!!! $1400.00+ - Introductions our third guest artist Chris Peterson! More to come...
- COMPLETE!!! $1800.00+ - The FINAL stretch goal! Given the outrageous success we have seen, if we can make that final push and hit this last goal I will be able to print twice as many comics as originally intended. To go along with this I will also be releasing a Kickstarter Edition of Muskoka with a variant cover designed by our fourth very special guest artist Scott Ford! This piece will also be made available as a print and as an additional gallery piece in the book.
- And more... If there is something you would like to see happen make sure to drop me a line and let me know. This campaign isn't about the money in my pocket and I want to try and give the extra back to you in some way.
About The Creator
Muskoka is the sole creation of myself, Steven Charles Rosia. I'm a small town, farm grown, big hearted creator from the prairie province of Alberta, Canada. I currently reside just South of Calgary in place called Okotoks with my lovely fiance, a dog named Salvador, and two troublesome kittens who hardly deserve mention.
Though I'm usually preoccupied with comics, painting, writing and the like, if I ever get a chance away from my desk there is nothing I love more than cuddling on the couch with my entire makeshift family. We're all just a bunch of big ol' snuggle-bunnies in this house.
Risks and challenges
My commitment to this project is unwavering. To ensure the value of your pledge I completed the majority of the comic before the start of this campaign. To stay honest to all of my supporters, one of my main goals is to keep you, the backers, up to date with process shots and an ETA.
Upon completion of a successful funding period the comic will be done in its entirety and will be sent to the printer when the capital has transferred. At this time the main risk will be in the printer fulfilling the order by my deadline. Most of the books should be in the mail and on their way to you, the backers, by the end of April, minus those who have ordered commissions which will follow shortly after.
All orders should be fulfilled before the end of May assuming there are no errors in shipping. Lost or damaged orders will be dealt with on an individual basis. I sell comics in my personal online store and have experience with fulfilling comic sales.
The largest obstacle that this campaign may face is over selling copies of the book. To ensure this can't and won't happen, I have created limited quantity pledge levels and will be adjusting them as funds are raised. My first and foremost concern is for the creation of a quality comic delivered into the hands of the persons that want to read them and I am committed to that end.
If you have any concerns regarding fulfillment I encourage you to message me and I will be happy to answer all your questions.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (28 days)