Drabbledark: An Anthology of Dark Drabbles (Canceled)
I’m putting together an anthology of drabbles, stories told in exactly 100 words. I would like to collect the works of 100 authors.
Ernest Hemingway is famed for this six word story: “For sale: baby shoes. Never worn.” Although the details around this story are varied by source, the point is clear: there is no length to powerful storytelling.
A Drabble is a story told in exactly 100 words. Not the steep 6 word limit of Hemingway’s fame, but plenty of room for a story. It’s challenging to tell a story in exactly 100 words but many have done so and to powerful effect. In Drabbledark: An Anthology of Dark Drabbles I want to collect 100-word stories from 100 authors, showcasing the writing of new and established authors by limiting their stories to 100 words. It’s an anthology celebrating the short short story and I hope you’ll help me bring this project to life.
Here are the details of this project and its goals:
- The $600 funding goal is the bottom number to bring this project to life and would be used 100% for author payment. Despite the length of the stories I would still like to pay the authors at least .06 a word, the professional rate in accordance with SFWA guidelines.
- In the anthology itself I would like to give each author a page for their story and a short bio. I want this to be an opportunity to celebrate the short form, but also for the authors in the anthology to showcase their writing ability and allow readers to find their other stuff around the web.
- If we reach $800 I would like to pay a professional artist to make an updated cover.
- Every $100 raised above $800 will go to increasing the payment to the authors by .01 a word. I firmly believe in the authors getting paid for their work, no matter the length of the fiction.
- The anthology will be released on all major ebook platforms Nook, Kindle, IBook etc.
- I will open two submission windows for the anthology. The first will be for all backers of this project, giving backers an opportunity to get their stories read first before the general public. The second submission window will take place shortly after for the general public and will last until the remaining slots are filled.
- All stories in the anthology will have a dark theme to them, spanning the genres of science fiction, fantasy, and horror.
- Reprints will be allowed at half the rate of original fiction, .03 a word.
- All details of rights, payment and submission guidelines will be outlined for the submission windows and an actual contract will be involved. I firmly believe in all rights reverting to the author upon publication and will not ask for rights I do not need for this project.
- Tentatively I would like this project out in September of this year.
- Any further questions feel free to give me a shout.
Risks and challenges
This project is very straightforward. I want to pay the authors what I believe is right for fiction of any length, .06 a word minimum. This is the professional rate for what will be a professional project. If I can’t raise the needed income for the project then it won’t be brought to life. I don’t agree with exposure or token payments for authors so I believe the biggest risk to this project is getting funded.
The only additional risk would be finding 100 quality stories. I hope with two submission windows that I will get enough good submissions to fill the necessary slots, but if for some reason I don’t get enough strong submissions the project will be delayed long enough for me to find enough quality stories. I will not settle for stories that are not high quality.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)