An open-source, wireless, Internet of Things Greenhouse monitoring and automation system for your farm or garden. Read more
This project was successfully funded on February 24, 2013.
Weekly Update - June 27th
As it turns out, these updates tend to be coming in two week intervals. One week updates don't seem sustainable, as progress doesn't seem to be made sufficiently update-able in one week increments.
Our engagement of the week: Tell us what you think!
What features in the dashboard do you want to see? What is important to all of you? Are there specific types of graphs/charts/data display you have in mind? Something else entirely? Some ideas to get you started:
- Social farming (Share progress pictures and updates with others)
- Farm journaling ( Logging your daily progress )
- Note taking / event tracking ( Track key points in time pest event, heater malfunctions etc)
- Crop tracking ( Keep track of what crops you're growing from season to season )
On to the update: We have good news and bad news and tentative good news.
Good news first. Base station revision has been completed thanks in no small part to the people at ProtoExchange ( check them out if you're in need of qualified Engineers for your project ) for helping us pick up some slack we have in our engineering department. We outsourced the LCD swap as well as the firmware design to Rowan Gifford, who did a great job getting this task across the finish line. We also had him add a physical reset button to the Base station, which it was previously lacking. This will factory reset your device which will be helpful in situations where you want to transfer ownership.
Bad news: Up until today we had been scrambling to figure out how to best house the modified station cost effectively. Due to our very small first run, we aren't able to splurge for a fancy case you see everywhere these days. Instead we decided upon something more practical.
Very long story short I think we settled on this PolyCase http://www.polycase.com/sl-30f which, while not as pretty as our last cases, fit our price point, have mounting flanges (something we didn't have previously) and are easily CNCed. We should tentatively be able to fit all the components inside this case for both the Base and Sensor stations, which drives the price down enough with CNCing to an affordable range. All in all it sounds like we will end up paying around $5 per case per unit which is right about at our target cost(Hooray!).