Weekly Update - June 5th
Thanks for the feedback on the displays. You have confirmed my thoughts on this as well. We're currently looking on sourcing a 20x4 character LCD to replace our graphical LCD. We haven't had any luck so far finding a model of equal or lesser value than the graphical LCD yet, but I'm confident that we can.
Once we find a replacement LCD we will also have to find a new box that is big enough to house the new LCD. We're currently using a hammond box and then CNCing the openings for the LCD and ports, so this will also need to be reworked based on the new design. Based on our beta-tester feedback we're also adding mounting flanges to all our box designs so they can be screwed or tied down. As an alternative to the hammond box + CNC, which runs us nearly $5 per unit, we're getting quotes on Cast urethene moulding to see if it is more cost effective for small manufacturing runs. All this should take an estimated two weeks. This is also the last change we're making in our design before fulfilling the kickstarter rewards. As soon as we have completed testing the above items, we're sending off to manufacturing and assembly, which can take upwards of 2 months to complete and then fulfill.
As part of our renewed effort to open our channels of communication we've revived our twitter account @HarvestGeek. Tweet us with #gardenpics a setup of your garden and we will be sure to retweet you. We look forward to seeing what everybody is working with :)
More updates to come next week.