About this project
Who is behind this project?
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/KlymitNobleTek
Just a few guys who develop dope gear and apparel right here in Ogden, Utah. At Klymit we are part engineers, part gear junkies, part mad scientists, and all outdoorsmen. Klymit was conceived on the idea that the experience of outdoor enthusiasts can be enhanced with new technologies and a different approach that yield quantifiable superior products. Our focus is one thing… to enhance your experience in the outdoors using the most advanced technologies available.
Why the Ulaar?
Klymit's proprietary VWT (Variable Warmth Technology) was designed to make your everyday outdoor experiences more comfortable. Whether you're camping, at the game, or just simply out for a walk, the Ulaar truly takes warmth and comfort to the next level. With adjustable insulation you immediately save money from purchasing additional layers, also reducing the weight you have to carry. When the NobleTek chambers are inflated, the Ulaar conforms to your body snugly, capturing your body heat and recirculating it throughout your core. The Ulaar will keep you warm even when wet, it's windproof, and just looks really cool! See below for more details.
Product Specs: The Ulaar varies from 1.5 to 4.5 clo, and dons all of the bells and whistles you'd expect to see in a $500 shell including:
- Low Friction 50D Polyester Shell
- Bamboo Charcoal Impregnated Liner
- Fully Taped Seams
- Articulated Hood
- Waist Cinch Straps
- Welded Arm Pockets
- Double Slider Water Resistant Zippers
- XS - XXXL
- Includes the Dry Air Pump for endless number of inflations.
Our bodies change temperature drastically based on our activity level; the weather changes all the time; now we can have one attractive, high end garment to meet all situations.
The 9 Core Benefits of the Ulaar are:
- Variable Insulation: Warmth on Demand. Adjustable on the fly.
- Warm When Wet: Maintains thermal properties when wet and even submerged.
- Dynamic Channel Design: Ventilation is enhanced while deflated, yet when inflated NobleTek™ chambers conform to your body snugly, capturing your body heat.
- Windproof: Pressurized chambers of gas never collapse when inflated and are unmoved by wind.
- Thinner: Argon insulates up to 3 times better than the dead air which other insulation traps. Warmer and thinner.
- Lighter: Argon is virtually weightless. Based on the volume of gas in the vest you can change your insulation from that of a windbreaker to a full-on ski parka with no change in weight.
- Safe: Breathe easy, we only use gases which are non-toxic and nonflammable.
- Eco-Friendly: The only insulation you will never see in a landfill.
- Loft Retaining: NobleTek™ will never lose its loft like traditional insulation will. Just pump and go.
To even further increase your warmth you can use Klymit’s NobleTek insulation. Featured in backpacker magazine, popular science, etc…, the key technology behind the Klymit NobleTek insulation is noble gas. The reason why noble gases are such great insulators is because of their low thermal conductivity. Used in dual pane windows and other applications, we didn’t invent Argon Gas, we just implemented it in apparel. It has allowed us to use a 25 mm insulation layer as the primary layer for several expeditions to the South Pole, Denali, Aconcagua, Cerro Torre, and many other places where the environment is both harsh and unpredictable.
Check out how the NobleTek Gas works here: NobleTek Video
Check out the first viewing of NobleTek in action: Video
R&D Beta Group - Consumer feedback is critical to the product offering from Klymit. As part of the R&D Beta Group we would like to occasionally pick your brain on what products you would like to see from Klymit and offer you discounts on the ones that go to market. From color preference to blue sky ideas we want you to have an influence on what we bring to market.
Sticker - Yep, a cool Klymit sticker.
Klymit Cush- The Klymit Cush is a versatile and comfortable addition to your everyday and backcountry arsenal. It allows you a comfy seat anywhere and any time with its ability to pack away into any pocket.
Klymit T Shirt - Heavyweight cotton/poly bled. XS - 3XL.
Klymit Collapsible Water Bottle - Flexible water bottle designed to fit in your pocket, purse, backpack, or briefcase. 16 oz Capacity.
Klymit Kinetic Vest (New 2013 Model) - The versatile Double Diamond is our flagship vest featuring Variable Warmth Technology in a multisport and multifunction design for warmth and comfort. The Klymit Kinetic Double Diamond vest has been designed with the utmost attention to detail. It is constructed using high-tech welding processes to create the Nobletek gas chambers which optimize warmth and comfort. The low friction polyester shell is a 4-way stretch fabric with both a durable and soft hand, ideal for any use. Every vest comes with the Dry Air Pump for endless inflating and deflating for ultimate adjustability for any temperature, and upgraded NobleTek Argon insulation is available and compatible with all Kinetic vests. The improvements to this model include: bamboo charcoal liner, dual front zipper, improvements to the collar, upgraded inflation and deflation port in the left pocket. Choose from either the black or green with your pledge.
Klymit Ulaar Jacket - This is it... what you've been waiting for... the first introduction of Variable Warmth Technology in a jacket. Whether you want a wind breaker or a ski parka the Ulaar is your answer and will keep you dry and warm. Upgraded NobleTek insulation is available and compatible with the Ulaar jacket.
Measurements below are based on a fully inflated vest or jacket. This is how a vest will fit when it is fully inflated. For a tight fit, chose size based on exact measurements. For a relaxed or comfortable fit, choose one size up.
Klymit Argon Starter Pack - A warmth upgrade kit for your Ulaar jacket or Kinetic vest that includes 3 argon gas canisters, inflator, and patch kit.
Ski Trip - An Epic Utah skiing/snowboarding adventure! We will take you on an all expenses paid tour of the 5 major ski areas in Utah’s fabled Wasatch mountains. Come see, and experience, how the Ulaar Jacket was developed and experience with Klymit the best snow on earth, and then relax in the 5 star lodging at Wolf Lodge in Eden, UT. This 5 day, 4 night trip will put you on 5 of the most famous ski resorts in the world, The Canyons, Snowbird, Brighton, Snowbasin, and Powder Mountain. After your days on the slopes, we then pamper you in your own luxury condo. Sample the best cuisine in Utah as well, all guided by our own local experts. Adventure doesn’t get any better than this! Includes flight to and from your continental USA location.
We can’t thank you enough for supporting us. Your contribution to our project will enable Klymit's revolutionary Variable Warmth Technology to be implemented in a jacket for the first time ever. Without your support this product wouldn't be possible.
Risks and challenges
The risks and challenges to this project are all tied up in the ability to manufacture high quality inflatable apparel. Our network of Asian factories, proprietary technology, and ability to design and develop in Ogden, Utah comprises our competitive advantages, and this project has already been prototyped, sampled, and costed in Asia. Short of natural disasters, or any political upheaval in Taiwan this should be an easy project for Klymit to execute within the given timetables. Just look at the other products we produce and that should give you a high level of confidence in our execution ability.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
For backers who want to add an Argon starter pack to their pledge you can simply pledge an additional $35 and we’ll get you taken care of.
The hood and sleeve material still has the low friction poly material on the shell and the bamboo charcoal liner, but the hood and sleeves just don’t inflate. Keeping your core warm is the key!
· We want our backers to know how much we appreciate their support. The price of the Ulaar jacket will be in the $300+ range when it goes to market. Backers are getting a good deal.
The low friction polyester shell fabric was chosen specifically for it’s durability, flexibility, and comfort. We have been using this product in climbing, canyoneering, tree skiing, and other activities with no problems with punctures or abrasion.
· The Ulaar varies from 1.5 to 4.5 clo. This might not mean a lot to people but it is quite a large range. Let me put it this way… Backpacker magazine said we outperformed the fluffiest 900 fill down. Specifically , they said: “If George Jetson climbed peaks, he wouldn't settle for some prehistoric 20th-century fleece to keep him warm. No, the man of the future would don this argon-filled vest, and he'd stay toastier than a cat in a microwave. How do we know? Because we tested just such a garment–from an innovative new company called Klymit–in subfreezing temperatures on 14,259-foot Longs Peak, and the gas-filled vest reflected body heat like no other jacket we've ever tried, not even the fluffiest 900-fill down.”
· We have found that Argon has great use when it gets to be 20 degrees or colder. I use my pump most of the time and save my Argon for when it gets really really cold. But even if I run out of Argon and the temperature drops sub 0 my jacket keeps me warm … after all insulation is really about capturing air. Whether you have a synthetic or down jacket they are both trying to do the same thing… capture as much air as possible.
Support this project
- (29 days)