Family game in which your device sees the cards you and your partner play and animates the adventure. We call it "relationship gaming". Read more
Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on February 27, 2013.
About this project
Zody's Wild World is a humorous and family-friendly two-player card game with a difference. It's designed to promote engagement between players, especially parents and children. First, we combined a monster combat dungeon crawl game with a "social combat" cooperative game. Next, we added in animated action and replaced dice rolling and calculations with a playing app. You choose your Ability cards, wave them in front your device's camera (iOS to start and Android if we hit our stretch goals) and the adventure is played out on the screen.
- Parents and kids can play together. We want iPads and other tablets/devices to help you build a relationship, not keep you apart.
- Zody's Wild World uses knowledge gained from years of working with children on the autism spectrum - helping them and their parents engage, relate, and understand emotional communication through play and having fun together. It's part of the game.
- You get cool cards to hold in your hand and collect. Kickstarter exclusive cards are included for our backers.
- Your device does all the hard work of figuring out how the contest is going so you can enjoy the show. Literally.
"Relationship gaming" involves more than manipulation of game avatars that respond based on physical capabilities. You also address the social/emotional state of your character and how it relates to your playing partner. Your weapons don't work as well if your mind and heart aren't in it. The monsters you face try to weaken your team by getting under your skin and making you laugh, cry, yell, or lose hope. Real life stuff that we embed in a playful way. Here is how it works:
- Your MindSet is a measure of your character's state - are you having fun, hungry, feeling safe, bored? These factors impact how well you use your offense, defense, and magic Abilities.
- The team has a Combo MindSet that measures how effectively you and your partner combine Abilities to fend off monsters and make it through the dungeon. Anger, silliness, disrespect are factors that reduce your Combo score, while calmness, focus, and empathy will increase it.
- A monster might toss the Mad Cap at you - watch on screen as your team starts to argue, losing power as the monster steals your Energy. Hope you found some Ice Dust to calm your partner down.
- It's a fun way for younger (and maybe older) players to learn the upside of emotional regulation, cooperation, and attention.
Zody’s Wild World base set has:
- 45+ amusing Ability, MindSet, and Action cards printed on durable, easy to handle stock.
- Separate instruction card that doubles as an organizer for each player’s stuff.
- Digital story booklet outlining the characters, Abilities, Monsters, MindSets, and Actions.
- Free, downloadable app for your device.
It's perfect for parents and kids of all ages to play together.
Basic game mechanics are designed and we have our first set of characters (subject to creative naming and custom design input from our supporters). We are creating sequences, writing the game's unique code, and adding a lot of special sauce.
Our superb design and development team are eager to create an innovative family gaming experience -- one we hope will grow beyond the one game. Thanks for helping us get off the ground.
Zody's best pal's Maxine and Gus tool a wrong turn somewhere. Going through an unfamiliar door that closes behind them, they find themselves trapped in a dimly lit network of tunnels and rooms inhabited by a peculiar set of monsters. How do they get out?
Each player chooses set of MIndSet and Ability cards. These determine the strengths and weaknesses for you and your team. At the Basic level, the game helps by suggesting which cards might work; this is especially handy for new players.
There's a Morning Breath Dragon blocking the tunnel up ahead! It's got horns! It's got wings! It's trying to be scary! The Dragon tosses a Tickle Timer at you. You giggle as you pull out your Frosty Dagger while your partner flashes a Mighty Glue Gun. Is this the best the dungeon has to offer? Your giggles grow into uncontrollable laughter and you drop your Dagger! The monster attacks by coughing out a Poison Cloud. Ugh! Get a toothbrush or something. Your screen fills with a big green blob of smoke as you reel away, hit points are taken, and you hear the Dragon squishing through the glue. Better pay closer attention to your next tactic - laughter doesn't seem to stop monsters.
On it goes, with players combining their Abilities for the maximum effect against their opponents, improving their MindSets, and building up Combo points to use in special attacks until the evil creature is at last dispatched.
Games are quick. Each battle requires about a half dozen rounds. Depending on difficulty level, a single game could involve between six and ten separate encounters. It's fast, funny and always different.
The art style in Zody's world is friendly, colorful, and accessible to children and adults. We selected this art style because:
- It's appealing to all ages.
- It has a charming quality that isn't usually found in dungeon crawl games.
- The art is relatively easy to produce quickly.
There's a detailed back story for Zody's world, including a number of additional characters we will include if our stretch goals are achieved. With your help, we will.
SymPlay is a partnership of successful specialists in game design, software development, and individual development. Each of the participants in this project has enormous experience and a reputation for producing high-quality results.
Software Creation - Quicksilver Software, Inc.
- Long-time gamers who can do (almost) anything.
- Award winners for everything from educational games to military trainers to restaurant iPad interfaces.
- Numerous games, both large and small, for PC, Mac, iOS, Android.
- Past titles include Interplay's Castles, Conquest of the New World, a couple of Star Trek titles, and a whole bunch more. Check out their website on the About Us page.
Child Development Expert - Josh Feder, MD
- Leading advocate for the importance of teaching children with autism (and their parents) how to build relationships through play and communication.
- Amazing insight and clinical experience into what really works for kids and parents.
- Adept at helping families build fun relationships with their kids and promoting social and cognitive development.
Design Consultant and Manufacturer - Victory Point Games
- US-based producer of specialty board and card games.
- Leaders in creating fun, elegant games.
- Use custom-cut, high quality materials.
Creative Director - Bruce Brownstein
- Founder of SymPlay, LLC, developer of family games/technology for autism and everybody else.
- Physical therapist and NIH-funded biomechanics researcher turned father, game designer, and alpha tester. Assisted in all three by Max.
To do's: 6-7 man-months of coding, characters to design, and cards and boards to manufacture (and ship to our Kickstarter supporters). In addition to what we spent so far, we need to hit our first goal to produce this unique game.
Approximately half of the money we raise goes to cover the cost of card/game manufacture, reward fulfillment, shipping, Amazon and Kickstarter fees. That's why we have stretch goals - so we can enhance the game with features like voice and more intricate graphics.
TARGET GOAL. $80,000. iOS version with fun, interesting animations and graphics for the encounters and gameplay. A free app that handles the card reading, shows and tracks the encounters, and provides help if you need it.
S-T-R-E-T-C-H GOAL #1. $90,000. We will produce an Android version of the game. Extra Kickstarter exclusive content for all backers.
S-T-R-E-T-C-H GOAL #2. $110,000. We will add 2-4 rooms/encounters to the trip through the dungeon and enhance the animation sequences. Additional Kickstarter exclusive content for our supporters.
S-T-R-E-T-C-H GOAL #3. $125,000. Gus and Maxine get 2-4 additional MindSet features plus 6-8 additional MindSet and Ability cards for the game.
S-T-R-E-T-C-H GOAL #4. $145,000. Gus and Maxine get voices and the Monsters get better grunts. Additional Kickstarter exclusive content for our supporters.
Additional funding beyond our stretch goals will allow us to continue to expand the card deck, enhance the gameplay, graphics, and voice qualities of the game and work on getting the game out to more people.
Why Kickstarter? It's the best way we know to find people who will appreciate and try a new gaming concept. Kickstarter is a place where people of many interests come together - gamers, parents, people looking for tools to help children with autism, to mention just a few. People looking for something new and different with awesome graphics, some neat, but tricky, programming, and a passionate team behind it. Kickstarter lets us find you and you find us.
Risks and challenges
Every project, game, business has challenges. When you are trying to do something unique, you come across unique problems to solve. We know what works when it comes to helping children develop. Play works. Technology works. Establishing a real emotional basis between participants works. We are trying to meld it into something new, something we call "relationship gaming".
To this end, we bring to bear our enormous experience in game design, hardware and software solutions, and working with children and parents. So what are the important factors?
• Most importantly, well conceived game play with excruciating attention to every detail and every interaction during the game.
• Risk Management: doing the hardest stuff first, like the camera image recognition. Based on our past development experience, we already have a plan and are confident that it will work. But best to prove it early.
• Engaging graphics coupled with an intuitive user interface. We've spent literally decades designing games. We know what to do.
• Keeping the team focused and on task. We're all excited, but there's hard work in making a great game, and we know how to get things done, not just think up cool ideas.
• Remember the mantra - it's the user experience that counts the most. Anything that enhances the user experience gets in, anything that detracts gets cut.
Two testing strategies will be used throughout: Q/A test each step of development multiple times. And prospective customers will test each phase of development.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Gracious Souls. Our undying thanks and an e-Card from Zody.Estimated delivery:
Souvenir Hunter. In addition to our undying thanks and an e-Card, we will send you a souvenir game card.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
13 backers Limited (137 left of 150)
Early Bird Special. Save $5! A copy of the game shipped to you on release. USA and Canada free shipping. Plus exclusive Ability cards for Kickstarter supporters. An eCard from one of the gang.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Family Game Lover. A copy of the game shipped to you. Plus exclusive Ability cards for Kickstarter supporters. USA and Canada free shipping.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Double Family Game Lover. Receive a copy of the game for you and a boxed gift copy for you to give to a friend. Plus exclusive Kickstarter supporter Ability cards in each game. USA and Canada free shipping.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Double Game Lover Gift Set. All the rewards of the Double Game Lover, except the second set is in a special gift box. Plus, exclusive Kickstarter supporter cards in each game. USA and Canada free shipping.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Shirt Lover. Receive a shirt with an image of Gus/Maxine, an Ability Card, Monster, Dragon, Cat or other character from the game. Plus, you will receive all the Family Game Lover rewards. USA and Canada free shipping.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Art and Shirt Lover. You will receive a signed poster of Zody's World characters in addition to a shirt with the character of your choice. Plus, exclusive Kickstarter cards for your copy of the game. Free shipping to USA and Canada.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Merchant of Fun. You will receive 5 boxed copies of the game to do with as you like. Kickstarter exclusive cards will be included in each box. Shipping free to USA and Canada.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
0 backers Limited (8 left of 8)
Interior Designer. Help design a room in the dungeon and choose a name for it (child/youth appropriate names only, please). Be a Beta Tester for Zody's Wild World be part of a new style of gaming before anyone else is. PLUS your name in the game credits and all the rewards from either the Dragon or Cat Lover. USA and Canada free shipping.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
2 backers Limited (13 left of 15)
Monster Maker. We will make a monster out of you - put your face (or something like it) on a monster. Brainstorm with our designers about the monster's powers and abilities. Become one of our Beta Testers and help find the bugs before anyone else does. Plus your name in the credits and all the rewards for Dragon Lover. USA and Canada free shipping.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
2 backers Limited (8 left of 10)
Games to Go. Early Bird Special! You will receive a copy of the game with the Zody Wild World app installed on an iPad Mini (or equivalent Android tablet if we reach stretch goal #1) along with all existing game apps from Zody's developer and partners. The tablet comes with a custom Zody case. Become a Beta Tester and have your name in the credits. Plus all the rewards of the Art and Shirt Lover. USA and Canada free shipping.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Games To Go. You will receive a copy of the game with the Zody Wild World app installed on an iPad Mini (or equivalent Android tablet if we achieve stretch goal #1) along with all existing game apps from Zody's developer and partners. The tablet comes with a custom Zody case. Become a Beta Tester and have your name in the credits. Plus all the rewards of the Art and Shirt Lover. USA and Canada free shipping.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
0 backers Limited (1 left of 1)
Gourmet Gamer. You and three friends are invited to the pre-launch meeting. Go through all the details of the game with the development team, make suggestions, and be a developer for a day. Plus, we will serve you a gourmet Italian lunch, by a trained chef. T-Shirts for all, plus copies of the game, and participation in the creation of a new game style. Travel to Southern California not included, sorry. But shipping of the game to USA and Canada is.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
- (30 days)