About this project
Funk Unplugged is a 3D platformer unlike anything you’ve seen before… yet very much like what you’ve seen before, in all the right ways. A love letter to the golden age of N64 platforming games, Funk Unplugged has it all: bright, colorful worlds to discover, challenging platforming puzzles, a bumpin’ soundtrack, and oodles of collectibles (obviously).
Play as Ampy and harness otherworldly powers to alter the world around you, creating new and unique paths to tread as you leap ever onward to save the day, and also… our ears. (Not bad for a little blue box, huh?)
The latest in sonic amplification technology, Ampy started life as a regular ol' amplifier. Passed from band to band, both world-famous and garage-bound, Ampy just simply loved to play.
To Ampy, music was everything. However, there's only so much touring a little amplifier can do before it's time to rest the circuits. Settling down on a tranquil little island, Ampy got ready to enjoy retirement playing soft music for the local wildlife and finding a new sound with a group of easy-listening beach bums.
So who are the people that so desperately want to make this game for you lovely folks? We are Vamped Games, let's introduce you to our magnificent team of DePaul University graduates right now!
Funk Unplugged will feature 6 unique over-worlds to explore with bright colorful environments that all draw from a charming and nostalgic visual style.
Some of the places you will visit with Ampy include...
- The hub world and home to home to the greatest Rock Gods and Legends of all time!
The Treble Tropics
- The Treble Tropics are the gateway into Rockhalla that all musical legends must pass through to reach the Rock Hall of Fame. Once a bright shining resort it now is infested with Spedora's and mind control wildlife stopping all who would enter the Rock Hall of Fame.
The Arctic Adagio
- The Arctic Adagio is home to the great legends of Heavy Metal. Choosing to isolate themselves from the other genres of music the Immigrants land of Heavy Metal is home to some of the Gmens most ingenious traps and nefarious Machines. A land of Ice and bitter winds the land here is slippery and filled with Pitfalls.
Ampy will fight the G-Men in all shapes and sizes In addition there will be 7 crazy awesome boss battles to challenge you along the way.
Here are just a few of the bad guys Ampy will have to square off against and defend Rockhalla from!
Abilities and Power-Ups
During your adventure Ampy may need a little extra push now and then. You will be able to turn it up to 11 through a variety of different abilities and power ups to collect such as...
- Although Ampy isn't a fighter his connection to the Funk allows him to manifest sound into powerful melee attacks. By copying various martial arts films he has seen over his long life Ampy can throw sound strikes to defeat enemies.
The Funk Unplugged
- Ampy is able to channel large shocks of the Funk through his antennae and transform the world of Rockhalla. Although his effect on the world is limited his ability to restore the world to its original state cannot be understated.
Collectibles and Secrets!
No platformer would be complete without secrets to hunt and collectibles to grab. You may be able to find special skins for Ampy to improve his style or maybe even a rocking hat to help Ampy accessorize.
Collecting some of these...
Can earn you some of these...
Music is at the core of Funk Unplugged and special care has been taken to make sure that the tunes rocking in the game match the feel of the levels in the game.
Have a listen to the Main Theme...
No Kickstarter would be complete without some fantastic rewards to thank you, our supporters for backing this project. Of course you can get the game and a whole lot more so check it out...
We have one more way to reward our loyal fans and groupies and earn even extra rewards. By helping to spread the word through social media and creating Funk Unplugged you will be a part making this project a success and for every five backer goals unlocked we will reward all backers with a special skin or hat for Ampy!
Gameplay videos of Funk Unplugged!
- Play our demo and record a short video to share on YouTube and share it with us either on Twitter, Facebook, or through the Backer comments.
- Tweet about the Funk Unplugged Kickstarter and tag us so we can count it towards the goal.
- This one is easy and unlocked as the Backer count grows higher and higher. Tell your friends and those sweet hats and skins will be yours.
- As we hit our goal and aim towards our stretch goals all Funk Unplugged supporters will reap the benefits.
- Just pick your favorite posts from our Facebook page to share and funky goodness will be had by all.
As our amazing Backers complete Backer Goals and unlock bonus rewards it is our hope that we will be able to push past our initial goal and be able to offer additional content beyond the base game. With that in mind we are sharing our first few Stretch Goals!
Of course we have plenty of other ideas to enhance Funk Unplugged and we will reveal those as we hit the previous Stretch Goal and continue to make Funk Unplugged bigger and better!
Ampy and us at Vamped Games thank you for supporting Funk Unplugged!
Risks and challenges
Much of the development of Funk Unplugged has been a learning process for all of us, and there’s still much we have yet to learn. However, we like to think of that as an asset, rather than a hindrance. We come at development with many sets of fresh eyes and young, creative minds.
Part of what makes a great game, we think, is visualizing innovation and figuring out how to pull it off. We’re young, we’re adaptable, and we’re passionate.
We just need a little help spreading our wings and getting off the ground. It’s going to take time and work, and pitfalls are inevitable in any creative endeavor, but this project is something we all care deeply about and love wholeheartedly. We at Vamped want to succeed, as a team, but we also want to succeed in bringing an awesome game to life so the rest of the world can enjoy it as well.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)